Status: Active

The Dead Will Walk the Earth

Chapter 2

A small groan escaped Jill's lips as she slowly came to. She opened her eyes to find her car smoking and her airbag had opened.

She glanced to see she was in a wooded area. Something wet was on her forehead. She touched it wincing to find a gash on her head and her blood.

Looking around and seeing none of those things around she opened her door and unbuckled her seatbelt.

She gently and slowly crawled out her car closing the door with her foot.

As she crawled she heard the sound of a gun cocking. She looked up and gasped coming face to face with a gun.

Glancing over she saw the owner if the gun was a muscular man that was wearing a police uniform. His hair was buzzed off and he was wearing gauges and a lip ring.

She couldn't see his eyes cause he was wearing a pair of aviator sunglasses.

"Say something." He said in a deep voice.

"Help me please." Jill said.

The man sighed and lowered his gun. He turned and started walking away. Jill got up and watched him the guy turned and gave her a gesture to follow him.

She quickly got up following him out the woods. He cautiously looked around before climbing up and over a bridge. He reached down grabbing her hands and pulling up her.

They started walking and walked under a drain pipe as they walked a shot was fired.

The guy quickly pulled her behind him and raised his gun.

"Brian isn't that Matt?" A familiar voice asked.

"Jimmy?" Matt said walking out.

Jill followed him to see three people. A guy with spiky short hair, a woman who had brunette hair and appeared to be almost a full term pregnancy. And the finally guy was tall lanky with messy hair.

"Y'all bastards shot at me." Matt said playfully punching Brian.

"Sorry man thought you were one of them." Brian says then noticed Jill. "Who are you."

"Jill." She said. "Jill Tyler."

"My name's Brian wish I could say it's nice to meet you but this isn't a pleasant time." He said.

"Where'd y'all come from?" Matt asked lifting his glasses up.

"From down there." Jimmy said pointing. "It's pretty bad that way."

"How bad is it?" Jill asked.

"Bad as in you would need wings or a plane to go down there." Brian said. "It's crowded with those fuckers that way."

"Where y'all heading?" Matt asked.

"To the mall." The woman said walking up to the fence.

"Is the mall safe?" Jill asked coming up beside her.

"I don't know but it's a lot better than being in the open where those things can see you." She said. "My name's Michelle by the way."

Jill nodded and looked at the mall with the others. "I hope there are more survivors." She thought.

In an apartment complex some miles away a young woman sat at the table with her son.

"Mommy when do I get to see daddy again?" He asked.

"This upcoming weekend River." Valary DiBenedetto said.

Her and her longtime partner Matt Sanders had been divorced for two years now. Matt worked long hours as a cop and it had affected their relationship.

Though they tried to make it work the relationship eventually deteriorated. They divorced and shared custody of their now five year old son River.

"Mommy why aren't you and dad together anymore?" He asked eating his cereal.

"I've told you honey sometimes people don't love each other like they do anymore." She said. "And they don't want to be together anymore."

"But don't you still love daddy?" He asked.

"I'll always love your dad." She said. "We've known and been together for a long time and we have a beautiful son together." She said tickling his belly.

River laughed as she tickled harder. "Now finish eating your breakfast so I can take you to school."

River nodded and after drinking his milk. He got cleaned up and walked back out in jeans and a Deathbat shirt with his backpack.

"All ready?" She asked grabbing her purse and shades.

"Yes mom." He said nodding his head.

"Alright lets go." She said as he ran to the door opening it.

As they walked down the hallway they bumped into their neighbor Diana.

"Are you okay Diana?" Valary asked noticing her appearance.

"I've been running a fever and coughing up things for a whole now." She said coughing.

"You should go to the hospital we hope you get better." Valary said as they walked along.

After they got to the first floor they got to the entrance and a shot was fired.

"Stay back." A man said over a megaphone.

"What the hell?" She said jumping back with River. "What's going on?"

"We're being quarantined." A man named Kenny said. "Nobody gets in of out."

"What?" Valary asked eyes wide. "Why?"

"The people out there say there's been a virus outbreak that's been located as originally coming from here." He said.

On the outskirts of town a young recently married couple drives past the Welcome to Huntington Beach sign.

Arin Ilejay glanced at his wife Kimberly. Looking down he smiled at the ring on her finger and kissed her hand.

"I can't believe we're finally married." She said squeezing his hand.

"Me neither." He said returning the squeeze.

She smiled and laid her head in his shoulder. "I can't wait until we get to the hotel."

He grinned. "Me neither."

She chuckled then she gasped. "Look out!"

Arin looked up too late to avoid hitting a guy who was stumbling across the road. Kimberly screamed as the car spun around before coming to a stop.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

She gasped. "I think so." She said looking at the guy. "I wonder if he's okay."

"I'll go check." Arin said unbuckling his seatbelt.

"Arin please don't." She said. "Something feels strange about this."

"It's probably nothing." He said kissing her reassuringly. "I'll be right back."

"Arin." Kimberly said as he got out and approached the man.

As he did the man slowly got up. "What the fuck?" Arin said as the guy grabbed his head and snapped in back into place.

The man looked disguisting and his eyes were cloudy looking. He snarled and snapped at Arin .

"Shit!" He yelled running back to the car and getting in.

"The hell is wrong with that guy?" Kimberly asked.

"Don't know." Arin said starting the car and driving as the guy hit his window cracking it.

Arin turned the car around as the guy started running towards it. Flooring it he hit and ran over the guy. He stopped and looked as the guy rolled over before slowly getting up again.

"The hell is going on?" Kimberly said.

"I don't know but we're going to find out." Arin said driving back into Huntington.

Meanwhile in a neighborhood a woman walked inside after a night of partying. Walking to the living room she turned on the news.

"The dead are coming back to life." The newswoman said. "People are dying and getting infected by an unknown virus then being reanimated."

She screamed and ran as two undead people chased her.

"It's starting." The woman said getting up.

Walking to her closet she threw off her heels and clothes from the night before.

She grabbed a black bra and black spandex pants. After putting on both she grabbed a pair stiletto boots. Grabbing a leather jacket she did her hair in a ponytail and a pair of avatars.

After dressing she walked to her basement grabbing and loading up some guns and other weapons. Going outside she opened her garage door and rolled her motorcycle out.

Getting on she started it and rode down the driveway and out the neighborhood in the direction of Huntington Beach.