Bundles of Fur and Incidents of Purring

Part One

Ryan closes his eyes and curls in on himself, wrapping his tail tightly around his body.

The rain outside is making loud splats against the metal of the garbage can, but he tries to cry louder than the droplets, praying to be heard and to be found.

Ryan doesn't remember getting picked up, not really. He might have let out a hoarse cry, but the cold and exhaustion got the best of him.

And the man didn't look that scary, not when he smiled.

-

Ryan wakes up under the weight of heavy blankets, warm and toasty and dry. He lets out a ripple of a purr, and then digs his way out.

When he surfaces to the light and open air, he notices he's on the top of a table of some sort. Chairs surround it, and the room expands to open space, only cluttered with a couch and TV. Past the couch is a small kitchenette, but Ryan can barely make the room from where he sits.

He flexes his claws, and has just enough time to take a breath before a mess of gray fur pounces on him.

"You're awake!" the other kitten greets in a happy cry. Another cat with long brown hair and blue eyes approaches, and tugs on the delicate ear of the gray cat. The gray haired kitten lets out a small squeak, coiling away from his companion and curling further into Ryan.

"Brendon! Get off him," the long haired instructs. "Zack said to let him sleep!"

The gray kitten, Brendon, rolls off Ryan, and pouts, "But he's awake. See?"

Ryan scampers to his feet and takes a few cautious steps back. He’s taken aback by the other felines, and he’s more than a little nervous in his new surroundings. "Where am I?"

Brendon smiles, "Our house!"

Ryan tilts his head to the side. "Your house?"

Brendon nods. He licks his paw, and then explains, "Where me and Spencer and Jon and Zack live. Zack's a human, but he's super nice! He rescued you!"

Ryan's mind is running, trying to keep up, and it's making him sleepy again. He tries to hide his yawn, but he’s too confused to do anything about it.

The long haired nudges Brendon, hissing, "See? Told you not to bother him! He's still sleepy." He looks at Ryan. "You can go back to sleep. I'll keep watch and make sure Brendon doesn't tackle you again."

Ryan slinks back over to the pile of blankets, keeping an eye on the energetic kitten to his side. He whispers, “Thanks,” and as the other two are jumping off the table Brendon mumbles, "You're no fun, Spencer. Jon woulda let me at least cuddle with him."
♠ ♠ ♠
I have no idea how many parts this is going to be