Status: Completed

Death Agent

Job is a Job

I walk to the lounge, my bare feet enjoying the cool touch of the wooden floors beneath them. With a hair tie between my teeth, I braid my damp hair over my shoulder. I raise an eyebrow as I spot a large yellow envelope on the coffee table.

Tying my hair off, and pushing the braid over my shoulder, I mumble to myself, "What the heck is that?"

I sit on the couch, placing the envelope on my lap. I tip the contents out on my lap, a large piece of paper falls out along with two piles of cash. I ignore the the cash as the photo captures my attention. I stare at the photo in shock, looking into my own eyes; a photo of myself.

"What the fuck," I question out loud, studying the photo closely.

"I didn't know you were home baby," a deep charming voice informs me from behind.

Jumping to my feet, I face him, not hiding the confusion on my face. Holding the photo up to him, I ask confused, "What the fuck is going on Conor?"

"Look baby, you should understand more than anyone, a job is a job," he exclaims with a shrug of his shoulders, all emotion vanished from his face.

My blood turns cold, my eyes become wide and I am frozen on the spot. I guess this is how my victims feel when they see me. I lick my lips as Conor aims his gun at me, a silencer attached. A million things are running through my head.

Do I fight or let death take me? Answer, I will fight.

I know there is a gun located under the couch, without hesitation I dive behind the couch and attempt to find my gun. My actions are met with the laugher from Conor. "You really think I wouldn't make sure all your little toys weren't removed, sweet cheeks!"

I hear his foot steps on the wooden floors, in a dark voice, Conors orders, "Get on your feet baby, it'll be over before you know it."

I make my way onto my feet, not breaking eye contact with him, now we are only feet apart. Using my training, I quickly disarm him, ripping the gun from his hand. However, using his strength Conor manages to get behind me. Placing his hands on my chin, his whispers in my ears before snapping my neck, "No hard feelings sweet cheeks."

My body hits the ground, my heart is no longer suppling me with the vital life I need, breathing is no longer essential, I am lost for words as I am able to stand to my feet. I know he has snapped my neck, I look around the room to find everything has frozen, including Conor.

Discombobulated, I trip over my feet as I make my way out the slide doors, connected to my backyard. I continue to trip over my feet as I cannot comprehend what is going on, the outside world has also frozen, birds still in the air and my dog chasing his tail.

I stare up at the sky to find it opening up, I am lifted up from the ground and drawn towards the hole. I am speechless as I watch the ground and my home become smaller and smaller. I continue to be pulled up, through the hole to find multiple holes leading to different tunnels and other people flying around just like myself within the large clouds.

I am suddenly placed in a chair, in a large white room. Facing opposite me, behind a glass desk is a woman, she looks in her mid to late twenties, long black hair flowing over her shoulder and a police badge placed on her chest. She is dressed in a police woman’s uniform and there is a plaque on her desk with the words, Proctor. I look at her stunned, like a deer in head lights as I try to take this all in; am I dreaming?

"Lacey Woodward," she states, startling me.

"Am I dreaming?" I whisper, the only tone I can muster.

Raising an eyebrow, she informs, "No, you are dead."

This time, no words can form from my lips so I continue to stare at her in shock and disbelief. Leaning back in her chair, she exclaims, "You are interesting and very unique case, as a hit man you should be sent below but The Eternals think you show great potential. So this is your chance, to help you get sent above when the time comes."

"You are being offered a place as a R.I.P.D officer," she offers me, making direct eye contact with me.