‹ Prequel: Bluff

Blood

Reveal

“Are you ready?” Brian asked, pulling into Mason’s driveway. He was scared shitless of telling Kory’s dad about their marriage, but he knew that she was even more nervous about it than he was. He had to put on a good face, not for his confidence, but for Kory.

She sighed, running her hands through her hair. “No. But we have to do it anyways, cmon,” she said, stepping out of Brian’s truck and heading towards the door. She walked in without knocking. “Mel! Dad!”

Melody was the one who first spoke up. “Kor! Where have you been?!” She asked, running down the stairs and enveloping her older sister in a tight hug. She was slightly surprised to see Brian behind her. “Oh! Hey! How are you? How’d the tour go?”

Brian nodded. “Good. The tour was awesome, but it sucked being away for so long. I’m just happy we have a few weeks off now,” he answered, giving Melody a warm smile.

“Where’s dad? I think we all need to sit down and talk for a few minutes,” Kory said. biting her lip nervously. She hoped more than anything that Mason would be okay with this. She didn’t want him to be angry with her, and she definitely didn’t want him to be angry with Brian. This whole experience was nerveracking.

“He’s in the back yard with Sam. Did you want to talk out there?” Melody asked, her voice cheery sounding as usual. Kory wondered how she even managed to be so happy all of the time.

Nodding, Kory grabbed Brian’s hand and squeezed it tightly. The two of them followed Melody out of the back door, and onto the porch where Mason and Sam were sitting.

They were laughing cheerily, each with a beer in their hand. When Mason turned around, he smiled brightly at the sight of his daughter.

“Kory, where have you been? I know you’re busy all the time but you should give your old man a call every once in a while,” he said, standing up and hugging her. Once he noticed Brian, he stiffened a bit. But he smiled at him and put his hand out politely. “Nice to see you again.”

The five of them conversed amongst each other for a minute or two. Melody and Kory talked about Kory’s job and the wedding coming up, while Mason, Brian, and Sam all talked about how the tour went. After about five or six minutes, Kory decided that it was now or never.

“Okay, we have to tell you all something,” Kory started, taking a deep breath.

Sam spoke up suddenly. “I can give you guys some family time,” she said, standing up.

Kory stopped her. “No, it’s okay. You’re a part of the family now, you should be here for it,” she said, smiling up at the older woman. Truthfully, Kory didn’t mind Sam. It was just a really big change for her. But she would get used to it, the same way that Mason would have to get used to Brian.

Sam seemed stunned at Kory’s sudden approval at first, but then nodded and sat back down, right next to Mason. “Thank you, Kory. Now what was it that you wanted to say? It seems like it’s just itching to get out,” she said.

Kory looked at Brian and completely froze. She wanted to say it, she wanted to just get the words out, but they got stuck in her throat and stayed there. She couldn’t do it.

Brian held her small, cold hand in between his large warm ones. He knew what was wrong, she didn’t even have to speak up. He figured that he would just say it. He had to.

“We’re...we’re getting married.”

“Oh my god,” Melody muttered. She stood up, and put her hands on either sides of her cheeks. “Oh my god! You guys!” She shouted, throwing her arms around the two of them.

“Congratulations!” Sam exclaimed, a huge grin on her face.

Those two reactions were sort of planned, they had been expected. But Mason’s reaction was what stressed Brian and Kory out. And this was not what either of them had expected.

Mason was crying. He had alligator tears streaming down his cheeks. “My baby’s getting married,” he sobbed, standing up and pulling Kory into a suffocatingly tight hug. “I’m so proud of you, Kor. You’re growing up to become an amazing young woman,” he complimented. He really was proud of her. She had gone through more than any child should have to. More often than not, she played the parental role. But not once did she ever complain, she always pushed through. She always knew what was best for her.

“Dad, you’re not angry?” Kory asked, hesitant. The last thing she wanted was for him to be angry. But this was a little too sensitive for Mason.

He shook his head. “No, of course not. I just want you to be happy,” he answered, pulling away from Kory. He looked at Brian then. “Take care of her. Melody’s the one who takes care of my light work,” he teased, reaching out to shake his hand.

“I will, I promise,” Brian responded, shaking his hand firmly.

Melody’s high, soft voice interrupted them. “I take care of the light work, but I’ll kill you if you hurt my sissy. Got it?”

“I got it, pipsqueak,” Brian said, teasingly.

Sam laughed. “Well, this is a cause for celebrating. I have a bottle of aged wine in the fridge, I’ll be right back!” She grinned at Brian and Kory before disappearing into the house.

“Welcome to the family,” Mason said, giving Brian a short hug.

Kory was so happy she could cry. That was certainly a lot better than she thought it was going to be.

Image

"So, how is this gonna work? Are you coming over to the apartment or am I going over to Matt's?"

"Uhm, hold on," Rissa pulled her cell phone away from her mouth and asked Matt about where the two of them would be staying tomorrow night. Marissa was so nervous about the wedding that she almost felt sick. She wasn't getting cold feet, she was just nervous. What if her dress got messy? What if she fell? What if everything went wrong? She reminded herself not to worry too much.

"Bri said we can use his place if we need to," Kory added.

"You'll just stay over here and Matt's gonna stay at Brian's. Our dresses are here, so it would only make sense," Rissa said. Shuffling could be heard on her end of the phone, making Kory curious.

"Oh god, you're not dirtying the sheets while talking to me again, are you?" She asked, groaning.

Marrissa and Matt could both be heard laughing. "No! You just called at the wrong time, it won't happen again. I promise. And we're just writing out Thank You cards early to the people who've RSVP'd, just to get them out of the way."

"Oh, alright. I'll let you go then. I'll text you before I come over tomorrow, okay? Love you guys!"

The two of them said their goodbyes, before Kory finally hung up the phone.

"So what's going on?" Brian asked, coming upstairs and laying on his bed, pinky cradled in his arms.

"Matt's coming over to stay here. He'll probably tell the guys so you can all get ready together. Then me and Rissa and Mel are all gonna get ready at Matt's place," she answered, moving to lay her head on Brian's abdomen.

It was quiet for a few moments, before Brian finally spoke up. His words were soft. "I really do love you, Kory. Do you know that?"

Kory didn't say anything. Instead, she just turned and leaned up and puckered her lips.

Brian obliged and leaned down to kiss her.

"Of course I know that, baby," she said. "And I love you too. Did you know that?" She teased.

"Yes. And you know what else I know?"

Kory laughed at him. "No, I don't know what else you know. Tell me," she said, nearly stumbling on her words.

"I know that you're," he stopped, took a big breath, and started tickling her sides. "ticklish!"

"I am not!" Kory choked out through fits of laughter. "Okay, okay, Bri! Stop!"

Pinky started barking at them, not sure why they were being so noisy.

"See, look what you did!" Kory said, swooping the little puppy up in her arms.

Brian laughed, and pulled his shirt off. "Shush and just go to bed you nerd," he said, turning off the light. He got under the blankets and cradled Kory in his arms, just as she was cradling pinky.

Kory couldn't help but smile. "We have the cutest little family, ever."
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I lied. The next few chapter are going to be sort of slow, BUT ONLY BECAUSE IM ENDING THIS.
Well, not permanently.
I've decided that, for organizations' sake, I'm going to make another sequal. I still have sooo much in store yet, and this story is already longer than Bluff was. Soooo, the next two or so chapter will be slow. And they'll pick back up as soon as I get a chance to make the layout and summary and everything for the next story. :)
Anyways, how did you guys think mason reacted?? was that what you expected?? AND THE WEDDING!! WHO'S EXCITED??? I know i am.
Thank you for reading!
Don't forget to recc/subscribe/comment!! xoxo