‹ Prequel: Hearts Collide

I'll Be There

one

Alex stood alone in her bedroom staring at the gown she had just required from the tailor. She bit her lip in anticipation thinking that tomorrow was going to be her big day—the day she had been dreaming about since she was a young girl. She reached out to trace the outline of her gown and became completely oblivious to her surroundings until a familiar voice spoke up and dragged her out of her daze.

"I see someone's excited for tomorrow," stated the voice. Alex immediately looked over her shoulder to see her boyfriend of two and a half years, Steve Rogers, also the famous Captain America, grinning at her. She smiled back at him as he made his way over to her, wrapped his arms around her, and gave her a quick kiss.

"Yeah, that and something else," she mumbled as she turned her attention away from him and back to her gown.

"What do you mean?" Steve asked as he raised an eyebrow.

"I'm really nervous, Steve. What if I stutter while I'm talking and make a fool out of myself? What if I mix up the words in my speech? What if I start sweating like crazy and ruin my make-up? What if I end up tripping over my gown? That's happened to me before," rambled Alex.

"I thought's that what you got it tailored for," he replied cheekily.

"I'm serious Steve! It's not just tomorrow's ceremony I'm worried about. I'm worried about what comes after it," she began as she felt her heart racing. "My entire life is going to change and I'm not completely sure I'm ready. I mean, it feels like just the other day I was just getting used to New York, and starting school, and starting to date you and now—"

Steve's lips pressing against Alex's silenced. His lips felt warm against hers and she instinctively kissed him back, allowing herself to forget about her worries and focus on Steve.

Steve pulled back from the kiss and placed his forehead against Alex's, pulling her chin up, and forcing her to look at him.

"Everything is going to be fine, Alex," he said reassuringly. "Tomorrow, you're going to walk down that aisle and you're going to look stunning. Your mom flew in from Maryland for this. Pepper and your dad are going to be there, and if you get nervous before giving your speech, remember that I'm going to be right there too. You have nothing to worry about."

Alex let out a small sigh before uttering, "You're right. I'm getting worked up over nothing. Thanks, Steve."

"You're welcome. Now come to bed with me, you have to get up early tomorrow," he replied as he gestured towards their bed.

Alex smirked at his gesture. "Are you suggesting we fool around?" she asked with a hint of playfulness before trailing her hand down his clothed torso.

"As much as I'd love to. You really need to get to sleep."

"Meanie," Alex pouted, giving him a quick glare before plopping herself on the bed.

Steve followed her, taking his place next to her.

"Well have plenty of time for that after the ceremony," added Steve.

"I guess you're right," sighed Alex as she flicked off the lights and nuzzled closer to him. "Goodnight, Steve," she mumbled.

"Goodnight, Alex."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony took his seat next to Pepper and readjusted his tie for the third time that day.

"Tony, relax. Stop being so antsy," Pepper stated as she placed her hand on his knee. "You have nothing to worry about."

"I know, Pepper, it's just— I can't believe it. Alex has grown so much and—"

"Oh, Tony, stop being such a mush," piped another female's voice. Tony looked up and saw Alex's mother taking a seat next to Pepper.

"Hello, Christina," Tony greeted. "I didn't think I'd be seeing you until later."

"No, I wanted a seat near you for our daughter's big day," Christina teased knowing how uncomfortable she was making him.

Pepper giggled at the scene and greeted Christina.

It wasn't long before the sound of the piano resonated throughout the venue where the ceremony was being held followed by the voice saying "I present to you the graduating class of 2015."

The trio, along with everyone else in the room, turned their heads to the doorway where the graduates were making their way into the grand hall where the ceremony was being held.

Alex who was the first in line was easily spotted causing Pepper and Christina to gasp at the sight of her.

"My baby's so beautiful," Christina uttered as she wiped away a stray tear from one of her eyes.

"Who's the mush now?" Tony teased as he snapped a photo of Alex as she sauntered down the aisle.

"Oh, shut up, Tony," Christina scolded as Alex passed them by. She gave the trio a small smile before she took her place in the front of the stage with five other students.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex's heart raced as she waiting for the music to stop indicating the start of the ceremony.

When the music finally came to an end, she watched as the President of NYU make his way to the podium.

"Today we celebrate the completion of a remarkable journey for these outstanding ladies and gentlemen all of whom I am honored to have become acquainted with. I am also honored to introduce this year's class elected speaker, Alexandria Allwheather." [1]

"Okay, Alex," she thought as she got up from her seat and made her way to the podium, "you can do this."

"Never mind, I can't do this," she thought as she saw a sea of people and the urge to run suddenly became almost too tempting to resist, but her nerves calmed when she caught a glimpse of Steve smiling at her. She let out a small sigh and began to address her audience.

"On my first day at NYU, I couldn't help but think 'this is it, this is everything you've ever wanted' and it's true—graduating with a degree in engineering is everything I've ever wanted since I was young girl. But now that I have finally accomplished all that I have set out to do, it saddens me to let it go. It is true that I and all the graduates here will be going off to bigger and better things, but I can't help but feel sad at everything we will be leaving behind as we finish this chapter of our lives. There will be no more Lego robot fights in the lab, no more turning lecture halls into strobe light arenas, and more constant glares from who would tell us that we have to become more serious students if we want to graduate— boy did we prove her wrong."

The sound of a few muffled laughs could be heard throughout the hall.

"As we move on to build skyscrapers or create things that will bring peace remember what it was that got you there—not just everything you learned but your creativity and uniqueness that allowed for such wonderful experiences here at NYU. Congratulations class of 2015. I wish you the best of luck."

The sound of applause could be heard throughout the site and Alex couldn't help the smile that graced her features as she walked off the stage to take her seat once again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Alex!" Steve cried out after the ceremony was over.

"Steve!" she replied as she ran into his arms, wrapped her arms around his neck, and kissed him passionately. Steve responded by wrapping his arms around her waist, picking her up, and spinning her as he kissed her.

"Hey, enough kissing! I thought this was a graduation, not a wedding," Tony remarked with sarcasm oozing from his voice.

"Very funny, dad," Alex responded.

"I'm just kidding. You know I'm proud of you, kiddo. So—when are you going to officially start working for Stark industries?"

"When pigs fly," Christina interjected as she walked over to Alex and hugged her.

"Mom," she groaned as she hugged her mother back. "I'm a grown woman. I can decide what I want to do with my life."

"I know, sweetie. Just know you have other better options."

"Yes, but none of them as good as what I have in store for you," Tony added.

"Oh really?" Christina questioned.

"Yes."

Alex let out a short sigh knowing that the two would be at if for a while.

"Alex, congratulations," she heard Pepper chime in

"Thanks Pepper," she responded as she pulled the taller woman into a hug. "Hey, Pepper. Steve and I have reservations to this restaurant uptown, so I was wondering if you could help me deal with my mom and—"

"Say no more. I'll handle those two. You and Steve go on your celebratory date."

"Thank you. Come on, Steve!"

"Just a second. I'll meet you at the car." Alex nodded as she made her way to the vehicle.

When she was out of site, Steve turned his attention to Pepper.

"So, are you ready for this?" said Pepper as she began to dig for something in her purse.

"As ready as I'll ever be," he responded nervously. "Do you think she'll say yes?"

"You should already know the answer to that," Pepper answered as she handed him a small velvet box that contained she picked up from the jeweler earlier that day.

"You're right. Thanks Pepper," he uttered as he made his way to the car and to the waiting Alex all the while mentally preparing himself to take her out on this date and ask her the question that would drastically change both of their lives.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image[/url]-->Image

[1] Although in Chapter one of 'Hearts Collide' Tony calls her Alexandria Stark, the name that is on all her legal papers is Alexandria Allwheather (after her mother).