‹ Prequel: Hearts Collide

I'll Be There

two

The sound of Steve's fingers tapping against the surface of the restaurant table caught Alex's attention as she was ordering her food. She quickly glanced at Steve and noted that he was not only tapping his fingers against the table, but also bouncing his knee. 'What is he hiding?' she thought to herself.

"Will that be all?" asked the waiter.

"Yes. Thank you," Alex responded. She waited for the waiter to leave before she turned her attention to her boyfriend and asked, "So what are you so nervous about?"

"Nervous?" Steve questioned as he raised an eyebrow. "I'm not ner—"

"Steve," Alex interrupted, "I know you and I know that the jittery leg and finger tapping means you're nervous about something" Steve immediately ceased his actions and small smile began to form on his face.

"I really can't hide anything from you. Can I, Alex?"

Alex giggled softly before she shook her head 'no'. "So tell me," she began, "what is it that you're nervous about?"

"It's a surprise. That's all I'm going to say."

"Can I at least get a hint?"

"You're a genius. I'm sure you can figure it out," Steve teased.

Alex gave Steve a small glare before her attention was interrupted by the waiter serving her wine.

"You're food will be ready soon," the waiter stated.

"Thank you," Alex mumbled.

"Here's to you, Alex," Steve cheered as he rose his glass up.

"And to whatever the future has in store for me whether it be good or bad," she continued as she copied his motions before she took a sip of her wine.

Steve took a small sip from his glass and thought 'Don't worry Alex, I promise you everything that's going to happen is going to be great.'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Okay, Alex," Steve began, "You can open your eyes now."

Alex immediately opened her eyes and the scene she saw before her was something that continued to amaze her: the sun began to set in distance. Alex watched as the sun created beautiful shades of oranges, pinks, and yellows as it disappeared behind skyscrapers. She smiled at the sight before she leaned up to give Steve a quick kiss on the lips.

"Thank you, Steve, but I don't see how this is a surprise. We've watched the sunset together a bunch of times."

"I know. We also watched the clouds together a hundred times and have had picnics here just like we had on our first date and listened to musicians, but you still love doing it," Steve pointed out.

"You're right," Alex responded. "So now what?" she asked.

She immediately felt one of Steve's hands in hers and the other on her shoulder. "Dance with me," he whispered into her ear before he took a side step which caused her to follow him.

"Steve," she giggled, "I can't dance. There's no music."

"You don't need music to dance," he replied. "You just need the right partner." Alex grinned at his response and followed him as he led her in a dance. As he spun her around, she could hear the sound of a saxophone being played. She gave Steve a confused look before he answered, "Just because you don't need music, doesn't mean it's not nice to have it."

Alex placed her free hand on Steve's shoulder and continued to follow him. "You know," Alex began as she stared into Steve's eyes, "this reminds me of the first time we went to Central Park together. You tried to get me to run and I ended up dragging you to watch these musicians play."

"Funny you should say that. This is actually the band that played the first time we danced," Steve confessed.

"H-how did you – but I thought they had left," Alex stammered as she became lost for words.

"Surprise," grinned Steve as he pulled Alex's body close to his and pressed his lips against her forehead. Alex smiled in delight as Steve spun her around so that her back pressed against his chest. The two swayed to the beat.

Alex soon found herself lost in the music playing and the feeling of having Steve so close to her. "This was a great surprise," she mumbled as Steve spun her again so that she was facing him.

"Well," Steve dragged out as he pulled Alex closer to his body and ceased dancing, "there's just one more thing I have for you."

"And what would that be?" Alex asked as she gazed into Steve's piercing blue eyes.

"Alexandria Stark," Steve stated as Alex watched him get down one knee and reach for something in his pocket. She gasped at the sight of a small velvet box being opened to reveal a simple silver band with an elegant gem in the center. "Will you marry me?" he asked.

Alex, who was at a loss for words, simply nodded her head affirmatively. Steve grinned in response as he stood up and reached for Alex's left hand to place the engagement ring on her ring finger. Steve locked fingers with her and leaned forward to kiss her. Alex smiled as she felt his lips press against hers before she wrapped her arms around him to deepen their kiss. When the two pulled away, they could hear the sound of cheers and applause. The couple looked up and saw that the band had stopped playing, and where applauding at the couple.

"Congratulations," one of the band members cheered.

"Thank you," responded Steve. "And thank you for the help."

"Anytime, brother," piped the saxophone player as he and the other band members began to pack their instruments.

Alex watched the band leave and then turned to her now-fiancé. She raised an eyebrow at him before she asked, "So how on earth were you able to pull off a private proposal in the middle of central park?"

"I have my ways," Steve grinned before he leaned in to give Alex a tender kiss. "Future Mrs. Alex Rogers," he whispered.

"Who said I was taking your last name?" Alex teased. "Future Mr. Steve Stark," she taunted.

"I don't think I like the idea of having your dad's last name," Steve stated as he shuttered at the thought.

"I was just teasing you," Alex remarked before she placed a kiss on his cheek. "Now come on, we have to go tell everyone the good news," she squealed.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"God, what's taking those two so long?" Tony asked as he poured himself another glass of liquor. "I thought they'd be over here by now after Alex rejects him."

"Tony," Christina interjected. "Alex is not going to say no to Steve. She loves him. Besides, if you didn't want the two to get married, you should have said now when Steve asked you permission for your daughter's hand in marriage."

"I only said yes to stars and stripes because I figure Alex will turn him down. She's not ready to get married. She just graduated," Tony pointed out.

"Tony," Pepper interrupted as she placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, "I know you can't help but be an overprotective dad but, whatever decision Alex makes, you should be happy for her."

"I'm not overprotective," scoffed Tony as he took a sip of his drink. At that very moment, the elevator doors to the top floor of Stark towers opened.

"Here comes the bride," Christina sang in a low voice so that only Pepper and Tony could hear.

"Shut up!" Tony muttered under his breath.

"Mom, dad, Pepper," Alex greeted, "I'm so glad you're all here! Steve and I have some great news."

"Alex and I are getting married," Steve announced.

"Aww," Christina cooed as she pulled Alex in for a quick hug. "My little girl is getting married."

"Congratulations you two," chimed Pepper.

"Tony, are you alright?" Steve asked when he noticed Tony clearing his throat.

"Who Me? I'm fine. I just… I just didn't think Alex would say yes," Tony confessed.

"Tony," Steve stated with a hint of annoyance.

"I'm just joking. Congratulations, Alex. And Steve, I know I've told you this before but, you better not let anything happen to my little girl."

"Dad," Alex began as she intertwined her fingers with the super solider's, "I love Steve. You should trust him," she continued as she leaned forward to kiss the aforementioned man.

"I think this calls for a toast," Pepper commented. "I think Tony has some wine we could use. Let's go grab it."

"Good. I could use a drink," muttered Tony as he stood up to get himself another drink.

"I'll get the glasses," Christina chimed as she left the two alone.

When the two pulled away from each other, Steve smiled at Alex and whispered, "I love you too, Alex. And I promise I won't let anything happen to you.

Alex smiled back at him and whispered, "I know."
♠ ♠ ♠
Image[/url]-->Image