‹ Prequel: Hearts Collide

I'll Be There

three

"Alright! I want to propose a toast," declared Tony as he stood up from his seat and raised his glass. "To Alex and Steve!"

"To Alex and Steve!" chorused everyone at the large table before they all took a sip from their glasses and resumed their conversations.

Alex smiled to herself before returning to her conversation. "Now, where was I?" she asked.

"You were just about to tell us how Steve proposed to you," said Kate Bishop, Clint's apprentice, with enthusiasm.

"Five bucks says he asked you after sex," Clint joked.

"Clint!" Natasha scolded. "Don't be a jerk. He's not you. Five bucks says Steve probably got a band, gave her a million roses, and confessed his undying love for her."

"Okay, you're both wrong," Alex's friend Monica interrupted [2]. "What Steve did was—"

"Hey, will you let me tell the story," Alex cut in.

Steve watched Alex as she told and retold their guest about how he proposed to her; and he smiled at how her hands would make gestures to demonstrate how they danced— and at how her eyes would light up when she talked about him getting down on one knee.

Steve finally broke his focus on Alex when he heard someone say 'congratulations'. He turned to see his friend, Sam Wilson, whom was better known as Falcon, walk toward him.

"Hi, Sam," Steve greeted. "Glad you could make it."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world. Besides, I think Alex's friend Monica is totally into me. Do you think you can set me up with her?" Sam asked.

"Only if you'll be my best man."

"Deal," responded Sam.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sunlight entered the small room and hit Alex's face causing her to scrunch it in discomfort and shift her body sideways so that the light would hit her back instead. As she did this, Steve decided to also shift and adjust the arm he had had wrapped around Alex so he could pull her closer to his body in a new found position.

Alex smiled at Steve's actions for two reasons: the first being that she knew he always did this when she moved and it always made her feel like Steve was trying to protect her even in his sleep. The second reason was that it allowed her to feel his morning wood against her inner thigh. Alex's smile turned into a smirk when she heard Steve mumble her name into his pillow. 'Is he having a wet dream with me even after last night?' she thought to herself as she wriggled around his grip so her face was closer to his.

"Yes, Steve?" she whispered into his ear. "What do you want me to do to you?"

"I need you to touch me, Alex," Steve mumbled half-asleep.

"Of course, anything for my fiancé," she said seductively as she reached down and allowed her fingers to slightly graze his hard length over his boxers and give it a light squeeze.

The feeling of Alex's hand on his member caused Steve's to wake up.

"Alex, please don't tease me," grunted the sleepy super solider after he realized what Alex had done in order to wake him.

"Well you did say you wanted me to touch you," she teased which caused Steve to blush. "Aww, how cute," Alex said before she gave Steve a quick kiss. "Now come on, get up and get dressed, Pepper set up a meeting for us with the wedding planner at ten and I don't want to be late," she commanded as she got out of bed and made her way to the bathroom.

"Didn't we see him yesterday?" Steve questioned.

"Yes, but the wedding is four months away and there's still so much to do," she called out from the bathroom.

"Fine," Steve sighed.

"Also, remind me that I have to refill my birth control. I've been so busy with work and planning our wedding that I almost forgot."

"Okay, so wedding planner, birth control, anything else I should know?" Steve questioned as he stuck his head into the bathroom door.

"I love you," Alex smiled.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex examined the line of women all clad in the same navy blue dress that stood in front of her. She gave them all one last glance before she declared, "Lose the bow in the front, they make you girls look like a bunch of Christmas gifts."

"Thank God," Natasha sighed before she got out of the line to take said bow off her dress.

"You're welcome," Alex scoffed as she took a bite out of her sandwich.

"Now, Alex, put down your food. It's your turn to try on your dress," Christina stated before she took the food out of Alex's hand.

"But—food," Alex moaned in disappointment.

"Now, Alex. You'll get your sandwich back when you're finished," Pepper reassured.

Alex let out a long sigh before entering the changing room to try on her dress.

"How does it fit?" Christina asked from outside the changing room.

Alex did not respond. Instead she stepped out of her dressing room with her gown and veil on which caused Pepper and Christina to both gasp in amazement.

"Oh, sweetie, you look beautiful," uttered Christina.

"Thanks, mom," Alex replied with a smile. "But, can you tell the tailor to loosen it a bit. I want to be able to eat on my wedding day."

Pepper giggled at Alex's response. "Alex, I promise you'll be able to eat on your wedding day."

"Great," Alex grinned. "Now give me back my sandwich."

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Alex, I'm home," Steve announced as he entered their apartment suite [1]. "Did the caterer come over yet?" he asked, but received no response. "Alex?" he questioned as he entered their bedroom and heard strange sounds from the bathroom. He cautiously entered the bathroom only to find Alex hunched over the toilet emptying out the contents of her stomach.

"Alex, what happened?" he asked as he rushed to her side to hold her long hair back.

"Water," she groaned in response.

Steve immediately grabbed the bathroom cup from the cabinet that he kept for Alex's occasional hangovers and filled it with water from the sink before he handed it to her.

Alex took a gulp of the water and swished it around her mouth before she spat it out to get rid of the taste of vomit.

"Thank you, Steve," she mumbled before she got up and wiped her mouth.

"You're welcome," he responded. "So are you going to tell me what happened?"

"I'm late," Alex sighed as she existed the bathroom.

"Late?" Steve questioned as he followed her out. "Late for what?"

"My period is late," she stated plainly as she plopped herself on the bed.

"You mean you're pregnant?" Steve asked with a hint of excitement in his voice. "Alex's that's grea—"

"Or it can mean that all this wedding planning is stressing me out so much that it's effecting my menstrual cycle," Alex stated defensively.

"What's with the attitude? You don't want to have a baby with me?" Steve asked offended.

"No— I do," Alex began, "It's just— I don't want to get your hopes up, only to find out that I'm not pregnant. I know how disappointed you were the last time."

Steve let out a low sigh before he climbed on top of the bed and wrapped his arms around Alex from behind. "That doesn't matter, Alex," Steve whispered into her ear.

"What do you mean that doesn't matter, Steve?"

"I mean that you're going to be my wife soon and that's all that I care about for now. If you're pregnant then I hope our child with have your beautiful smile. If you're not that's okay because in a few weeks I'll be marrying the most gorgeous woman on earth."

"Really?" Alex asked as she turned to face him.

"Really, really," Steve responded which caused Alex to smile.

"Alright, then," Alex said as she got up from the bed. "Let's go find out."

---------------------------------------------------------------
Alex waited impatiently in the clinic room for the doctor to return with the test results.

"What's taking so long," Alex groaned. "The doctor said two o'clock it's 2:10 already."

"Relax Alex. If you wanted to know so badly then you should have done a home pregnancy test instead of going to the clinic and then waiting two days for the result," Steve pointed out

"You know I don't trust the drug store tests and I can't relax. I have a wedding to plan."

"That's why you have Pepper, Nat, and you're wedding planner for," Steve pointed out. "Now will you please relax?"

"I'll relax when we find out if I'm pregnant or n—"

"Hello Miss. Allweather," the doctor greeted as she entered the room. "How are you today?"

"I'm fine, but what's the verdict?" Alex asked impatiently.

"Well, according to your results, you are in fact pregnant," responded the doctor. "Now if you'd like, you can go to the front desk to set up an appointment with one of the obstetricians upstairs and they can tell you how far along you are—"

"Yes, that'd be great," Alex blurted out in excitement.

"Alright then, I'll leave you two alone," the doctor stated before she left the room and made her way to the office.

"So," Steve began as he turned his attention to Alex. "Are you glad you know now?" he asked as a small smile began to form on his face.

"Yes," Alex smirked before she leaned forward to kiss Steve. When she pulled away from him, she asked, "Are you excited to be a daddy?"

"Yes. I'm excited to start a family with you, and build a nursery for the baby, and finally be able to call Tony 'grandpa' for a change."

"Slow down there, Steve," Alex interrupted. "I still have a wedding to plan out. We can worry about doing all of that after I walk down the aisle and say 'I do' to you. Okay?"

"I'm fine with that," Steve smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image[/url]-->Image

[1] Just so you guys know, Alex and Steve have been sharing a suite in Stark tower for about a year.

[2] Monica is Alex's old friend from high school. She's an African American women who majored in biology. I'm still developing her character though :/