‹ Prequel: Hearts Collide

I'll Be There

five

Alex stared at her reflection in the mirror, her mouth agape in amazement— every strand of her usually messy hair was in place, neatly in a low bun, her makeup was simple but emphasized her eyes, and her grown hid the small bump that had been developing on her midsection.

"Alex, sweetie, you look gorgeous," Christian cooed.

"Steve is going to be in awe when he sees you walking down the aisle," complimented Pepper.

"Thanks, mom," Alex replied. She smiled softly to herself as thought about how Steve would react. 'He would probably be at a loss for words,' she thought to herself as she recalled the numerous times Steve would be speechless or stumble on his words when she would dress up for their anniversary dates. 'I hope he doesn't stumble on his words when he's saying his vows...'

"I'd just wish you'd take off that darn bracelet," Christina stated as she gestured at the bracelet Alex had made with (and used against) her father two years ago. "It doesn't really go with your dress and it's not like you need it or anything," continued Christina.

"Mom," Alex whined. "You know I never take it off."

"But, Alex—"

"Don't worry, Christina," Pepper interrupted as she took out a small velvet bag out of her purse. "I have just the thing you need." Pepper reached into the velvet bag and pulled out a set of earrings and a necklace that matched Alex's bracelet.

"Wait, where did you get those?" Alex questioned as Pepper handed her the jewelry.

"Well the necklace is an old one of mine that I don't wear any more so you can borrow it and the earrings I convinced Tony to buy for you just in case," explained Pepper.

"Wow, Pepper. You really are prepared for anything," Alex stated amazed.

Pepper nodded in agreement. "Well, I'm going to go see how everyone else is. If you need me for anything let me know," Pepper stated as she existed the room.

"Now all I need is something new and something blue," Alex muttered to herself as she began putting on the earrings.

"Sweetie, is everything alright?" Christina asked concerned as she watched her daughter's hands tremble while she tried to put on her earrings. "Do you need help?"

"I'm fine," Alex lied as she continued to attempt to put on the earrings, missing the hole each time. Alex muttered curses under her breath as she poked every part of her earlobe but the pierced hole. She suddenly felt another hand grab hers gently and pulled the earrings away from her.

"Alex, you don't need to be nervous," Christina assured Alex as she put on Alex's earring for her followed by the necklace. "Everything is going to be alright, kiddo," whispered Christina as she gave Alex's shoulder a small squeeze.

"Mom, there's something I have to tell you," Alex admitted. "Steve and I were going to wait until after the wedding to tell people, but I can't keep it to myself anymore," she sighed. "I'm pregnant."

Alex waited for a gasp or for her mother's eyes to widen in shock, but instead she saw Christina smiling at her in response.

"Alex, I already knew that."

"How?" Alex asked as she raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"I'm a nurse, Alex. I noticed you vomiting a lot and the small bump that you're trying to hide with your dress. Nice job hiding it by the way."

Before Alex could breathe a word, she heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," she responded.

Tony had poked his head inside and stated, "The ceremony is going to start soon. Christina, you might want to take your seat."

"Thank you, Tony," Christina stated plainly before whispering 'don't worry' to Alex and leaving the room.

"Alex, do you want me to wait with you here?" Tony asked.

"No, it's okay—I have to use the bathroom," Alex lied. "I'll meet you in the hall in a few minutes."

"Okay, then. You look beautiful by the way," Tony said with a smile. "I can't believe you're getting married already."

"Thanks dad. I can't believe it either."

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Tony joked. "Because we can always ditch the wedding and go get burgers or something—"

"Dad!" Alex interrupted. "I want to marry Steve."

"I know you do. I'll see you soon," Tony stated before he closed the door and left Alex alone.

Alex turned to look at her reflection in the mirror before whispering to herself, "I want to marry Steve."However, she didn't feel so sure of her words so she closed her eyes and let out a long sigh before she opened them again and saying with confidence, "I want to marry Steve."

"I'm going to walk down that aisle and say 'I do' to him," Alex rambled, becoming oblivious to her surroundings. "Then we're going to dance and eat at the reception and have our honey moon and when we get back we're going to tell everyone the big news and everything is going to be perfect."

"Aww, what a cute little future you have planned out for yourself," someone interrupted.

Alex turned her attention to the person who was talking only to find that it that one of the waiters that was preparing for the reception that was in the room.

"Umm…yeah," Alex uttered awkwardly as she stared at the waiter confused. "I'm sorry, but shouldn't you be getting things ready for the reception?" she asked, trying not to sound rude.

"Oh no. I 'm not a waiter," the fake waiter stated bluntly."I'm actually here to kidnap you," he said with a smirk on his face.

"What?"Alex asked in disbelief.

"You're coming with me," the kidnapper stated plainly as he pulled out a gun from his back pocket and aimed it at Alex.

"Like hell I am!" Alex exclaimed as she raised her right arm and aimed her bracelet at his gun, shooting at it causing the gun to fly out of the kidnapper's hands.

"Now who do you work for?" Alex demanded as she aimed her bracelet at the kidnapper.

"Feisty, aren't we?" the kidnapper mocked. "But you're coming with me," he continued as he stepped forward to punch Alex in the face.

Alex, however, quickly stepped backed and blocked his attack, grateful that she still remembered a few things from Clint and Steve's training. She then attempted to roundhouse kick him in the head, but her wedding gown limited her range of motion and was only able to kick his torso, sending him a few steps back. Alex took that opportunity to run for the door.

"Dad!" Alex attempted to call out, but she felt a large hand cover her mouth, immediately preventing her from speaking and pulling her close to the kidnapper.

"Shut up!" the kidnapper demanded as he used his free hand to reach into one of his front pockets.

Alex grunted in response and began kicking and squirming as an attempt to break free from his grasp, but had no luck.

"Now be a good girl and settle down," the kidnapper whispered into Alex's ear as he placed a cholorform soaked rag over her face.

Alex protested and continued to squirm around, but soon she felt herself lose control over her limbs and her vision being to become blurry.

'Steve, help me,' Alex thought as she slipped into a state of unconsciousness.

"I've got the girl," the kidnapper said into a small microphone in his collar. "She's unconscious so go with plan B."

"Copy," replied the kidnapper's partner into the ear piece.

The kidnapper laid Alex's body on the floor and eyed the bracelet she had used to attack him.

"Better get rid of this," he said to himself as he removed Alex's bracelet and tossed it to aside.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Hi, Monica," Tony greeted as he spotted her coming from where the bathrooms were. "Have you seen Alex?"

"No, I haven't. Why?" Monica asked.

"She was supposed to be here by now. I'm going to see what's holding her up," Tony stated as he began to make his way back to Alex's room.

"Do you want me to come with you?" she asked.

"No, it's okay. Besides the ceremony is about to start."

Steve waited nervously in front of the altar as the ceremony began. He watched as the bridesmaids were being escorted down the aisle by the groomsmen and took their place to either side of him in front of the aisle. The next one to walk down the aisle was Monica who was being escorted by Sam. As Monica took her place next to where Alex would be, she mouthed to Steve 'relax' which caused Steve to smile as he waited for Alex to walk down the aisle with Tony.

After the flower-girl and ring-bearer made their ways down the aisle, the pianist went from playing 'Canon in D major' to the intro of 'Here Comes the Bride'.

"All rise for the bride," the minster announced as everyone stood up and waited for Alex to appear. Steve bit on his lip anticipating Alex's entrance, however, no such entrance was made. As time passed, Steve heard guests whispering things like 'Where is she?' and 'Did she leave him at the altar?' His heart sank at the idea of Alex leaving him at the altar especially since he knew how nervous she had been at how quickly things were changing.

"I can't believe it," Steve uttered after twenty minutes passed and there was no sign of Alex.

"Maybe it's not what you think," Monica stated hopefully. "Maybe she had too many breakfast burritos; you know how she gets when—"

"Nice try, Monica," Steve said as he gave her a half smile before the heartbroken super soldier exited the service room and made his way to the bride's room where he hoped Alex would be.

When he entered the room, he found Tony standing there alone.

"She's not here, Cap," Tony sighed. "She's not anywhere. She's gone."

"No," Steve stated in disbelief. "She wouldn't just leave like that."

"I'm sorry, Steve. But she did."

Steve's stared at the ground trying to figure out why Alex had decided to leave him. While he stared at the ground, his eyes caught a glimpse of something small shining on the floor and walked over to said object.

"What do you have there?" Tony asked.

"It's Alex's bracelet," he gasped.

"What do you mean 'Its Alex's bracelet'?"

"Take a look for yourself," Steve said as he handed over the bracelet to Tony.

Tony examined the bracelet, his eyes widening when he realized it was the bracelet that he had made with Alex. "That's impossible. Alex never takes off her bracelet."

"I know she doesn't," Steve stated. "And yet, it's still here."
♠ ♠ ♠
Image[/url]-->Image

Image[/url]-->Image