‹ Prequel: Hearts Collide

I'll Be There

seven

Alex lay wide awake on top of the lumpy mattress trying to process what had happened to her in the last few hours. She was drugged, kidnapped, strapped to an examination table, poked with needles, had various tests done to her, and then was thrown back into a room that resembled a prison cell— but what for?

The only reason she could come up with was that they were using her as a subject for something.

'That would explain all the medical exams they did to me yesterday,' Alex thought as she turned so that she was lying on her side. 'But why me? There's seven billion people to choose from, what makes me so special? Maybe they're using me to get to me dad?'

Alex sighed quietly to herself as her hand grazed the small bump on her stomach. "You know what, squishy?" Alex began as she decided at that moment the nickname she would use for her unborn child, "I hope that guy who kidnapped us honestly thought it was a good idea because I know he's going to regret it the second your father and grandfather find us."

From the distance, Alex could hear the sound of footsteps approaching her cell door. The door creaked open and a female guard with a metal food tray entered. Alex raised an eyebrow in suspicion. She was anticipating her kidnapper to enter, not a guard, and she was expecting to be taken somewhere not to be given food.

"Here you go. Eat up." the guard stated apathetically as she passed Alex the tray.

Alex eyed the bowl of oatmeal and the glass of orange juice that lay in front of her before asking, "Is this your way of poisoning me?"

"Yes. We're trying to kill you with a balanced meal," the guard responded sarcastically.

"You call this a balanced meal?" Alex questioned as she poked at the oatmeal with a spoon.

"Well, it's more balanced than the sugary, fatty diet you've been on," the guard said bluntly.

"How did you—"

"It showed up on your test results," the guard interrupted.

Alex said nothing as she continued to stare at the food like a child.

"Look— eat it or don't eat it. I don't care, but don't blame me when the doctor is feeding you through a tube," the guard scoffed before exiting Alex's cell and locking the door behind her.

"You know what, squishy? It may not be a bacon, egg, and cheese but, I'm hungry," Alex muttered before scooping up a spoonful of oatmeal and putting it in her mouth.

She cringed the instant the cold goo touched her tongue and fought the urge to spit it out. After forcing herself to swallow, Alex immediately reached for the juice and took a large gulp in order to wash out the cold oatmeal taste.

"Okay; hungry or not, that was just gross. I want pancakes," Alex sighed as she allowed her mind to wander.

She became so engulfed with her thoughts of the pancakes her mother would make her when she went to visit that she didn't notice the door to her cell opening again.

"Morning," greeted a male voice sinisterly.

Alex looked up to see the man that had kidnapped her standing in her cell doorway.

"Wow First I get crappy oatmeal. Then I have to see you. If the reason why you kidnapped me was to torture me, you're doing a fantastic job," Alex said sarcastically.

"Very funny," the kidnapper stated not amused. "Now, come on. The doctor and the master need to see you."

"Whoa—Doctor? Master?" Alex scoffed. "Am I on some crack episode of Doctor Who?"

"Will you just shut up and follow me?" the kidnapper said annoyed.

Alex got up from the mattress and walked over to him but before she could exit, she felt a gun being pressed against her jaw.

"Oh, and if you try to escape like you did yesterday, I'll shoot you. Understand?"

Alex remained silent.

"I'll take that as a yes," the kidnapper stated as he removed his gun from Alex's jaw and began walking in the direction of the lab from the previous day.

Upon entering the lab, Alex asked, "So who's this master you were talking about?"

"He's the man in charge. Can't you tell by the title, genius?" the kidnapper answered condescendingly.

"Wel,l first off, considering that you were the one that kidnapped me, I thought you were the one in charge. Secondly, no one calls their boss 'master' unless they're a maid which I wouldn't put past you," teased Alex.

"You know what?" the kidnapper said as he took out his gun and aimed it at Alex.

"That's enough," the doctor interjected causing the kidnapper to turn his attention to the female doctor. "I'll take it from here Agent Jones."

Agent Jones gave Alex one last glance before putting away his gun and leaving the laboratory.

"So," the doctor began, "are you going to go on the examination table like a good girl or are we going to have to strap you down like a child like we did yesterday?"

"I don't know, maybe I'll stop acting like a child when you stop treating me like one and tell me why the hell I'm here," Alex pointed out.

"You have something that my boss wants. Was that so hard to figure out?" the doctor responded nonchalantly. "Now lift up your shirt and lay down. "

Alex reluctantly did as she was told and lay down on the examination table. From the corner of her eye she could see another figure enter the room and make their way over to the doctor. She overhead the two talking about tests result and various other things which made Alex conclude that this new person was the boss that Agent Jones was talking about.

"So this is her?" the unknown person asked as they walked over to the examination table that Alex was lying down on.

"She has a name, you know," Alex began as she sat up to look at the person whose idea it was to take her. "And her name is—"

However, Alex immediately became silent when she realized exactly who the boss was. 'It can't be,' she thought as she was overwhelmed with fear. 'I thought he died a long time ago.'

"Her name is Alexandria Stark: the soon to be Mrs. Rogers. Or at least you were until I captured you," the boss taunted.

"Voldemort?" Alex asked as she squinted her eyes at the man in front of her to hide her fear. "I thought you died at the Battle of Hogwarts."

After her sly remark, Alex felt his hand smack her across the face causing a stinging sensation on her left cheek.

"Fool. Do you have any idea who you are dealing with?"

"Darth Mauls' grandfather," Alex responded which earned herself another slap to the face.

Alex clenched her fist trying not to focus on the pain. "What do you want from me, Red Skull? Did you drag me here to get to Steve so you can use him for whatever insane super solider project you have going on?"

"Do you honestly think that I'd waste my time on someone like him? Someone so weak?"

"If he's so weak, then why did he defeat you in the past?"

"Silence!" Red Skull exclaimed.

Refusing to give into his orders, Alex replied, "You know you should wear some sunblock. You're burnt down to the bone."

Red Skulll, who had enough of Alex's clever remarks grabbed her by neck and began to squeeze it; slowly suffocating her in the process.

"Boss," the doctor stated firmly.

Red Skull slowly released his grip on Alex, knowing very well that she was no use to him dead.

"As I assume you know, the super solider serum enhances various physical attributes and various attempts of duplication with the serum that Steve Rogers was given have been made. Some of the attempts have been made with some success while others have caused mutation on the human bodies that do not know how to handle the effects of the serum. For the past few years Hydra has been working on a way to ensure that the serum will not cause mutation and will be one hundred percent effective. And then you came along: a human being with the genetic code of a super solider inside of them."

"Okay, slow down," Alex interrupted. "I'm Alex Stark—as in the great Tony Stark, son of Howard Stark. And even though my grandfather was part of the Super Solider project, that doesn't mean he nor I are the key to your precious serum."

"I'm not interested in you. I'm interested in the child growing inside of you. A child that is genetically half-human and half super-human."

"Don't you dare hurt my baby," Alex warned as her maternal instincts began to kick in.

"I wouldn't dream of it. I need that child alive and well; so get comfortable. You're going to be here for a while."

------------------------------------------------------------------

"I hope she's okay," Steve uttered as he looked at his phone for any new messages.

"Steve, Alex is a strong girl. I'm sure that wherever she is, she's fine," Christina reassured.

"It's not just her I'm worried about," Steve began as he mentally prepared himself to tell Christina the news he and Alex had been saving until after the wedding. "You see, Christina, the thing is, Alex is—"

"Steve, I've got a lead," Tony asked as he entered the room.

"What is it?"

"It's a car that showed up at the church before the ceremony started," Tony began to explain. "At first I thought that it belonged to the catering company or something, but when I ran its plates, it didn't match with any car from the band, the florist, or any of the guests. It's not much, but it's better than anything you came up with, so are you in?"

"When do we start?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Image[/url]-->Image

Image[/url]-->Image