You Had Me at "I Hate You"

13

"Good morning, beautiful," Linc greeted me as I woke up that morning.
"Hey, Linc," I mumbled guiltily.

After the kiss last night, Linc kept trying to do cutesy things with me. He'd try to hold my hand, or make me rest my head on his shoulder or sit in his lap.

I'd avoided him as best I could... Because, right after it had happened... Guilt set in like nobody's business.

I couldn't believe what I'd done! I'd kissed Lincoln!

And he was dating Naomi!

I couldn't help but feel that I was... Frankly, a boyfriend stealing bitch.

"Um... About that kiss..." I began.
"What? You want to do it again?" he asked eagerly. "Okay! Let me go brush my teeth-"

"No!" I cried, laughing a little. "I... I wanted to apologize."
"No need to be sorry, Dollface!" he told me. "Like I said... Best present ever!"

"Linc... I want you to realize that... I'm not your girlfriend. Naomi is. You should be off kissing her, not me."

He frowned. "Yeah, but Naomi doesn't count! She's-"
"So annoying," I finished for him. "Yeah, you've told me."

He blinked in surprise.

"So... I'm just saying... It was a one time thing."
He protested, "But, what if-"
"No," I interrupted firmly.
He scowled.

"What we had, whatever it was... It was good... For a while. What with Christmas... and, well, last night... But... It's done."

He grunted in response, and turned back to his cereal.

When I left for work, he didn't say goodbye.

-_-_-_-_-

I got in to work, and noticed that a small card was sitting on my desk. It was from Hallmark, with a flowery red heart on the front, and a mushsy love quote. I picked it up, and read,

"Violet,

How about coffee sometime?

P.S. I got this card for you because it was red... And that reminded me of your hair..."


I laughed, and set the card back down on my desk.

There was only one person who could have given this card to me. There was only one other person who'd told me that something red made them think of my hair...

"So... Do you want to take me up on that offer?" a voice asked from my office door.

"Lincoln!" I cried, whirling around to face...

Aiden?

It was that incredibly handsome blonde boy who worked on this same floor... He was the one who left the card?

A secret about me: I've been harboring a quiet crush for Aiden since I began working here last year.

"Lincoln? Who's Lincoln?" he asked, looking worried and hurt.
"Nobody!" I cried, and ran over so that I could throw my arms around his neck.

He chuckled in surprise.

"So... Coffee?"
"It's a date," I reassured him, all thoughts of my roommate were pushed far, far from my mind.

I don't even know why I called out his name. Really, I don't feel anything for him.

But, Aiden... Now, there's definitely something there!

I giggled in delight.

-_-_-_-

"So... Um... Here was are..." Aiden said as we stood outside my apartment.
"Yeah... Here we are..."

"You know," he admitted. "I really wish I'd gotten up the courage to ask you out a long time ago. I had a lot of fun."
"I had fun too," I told him, blushing.

He rubbed the back of his neck embarrassedly, wondering what to do next.

"So... Uh... Goodbye..." he said, grinning awkwardly. He leaned forward, and pecked my lips.

I don't know what came over me... Really, I don't. Maybe it was the crush I'd been harboring for Aiden ever since I'd first taken the job at The Gutter Press. Maybe it was his hair that was so blonde, it was almost white. Maybe it was the way his blue scarf lit up the blue of his eyes...

Whatever it was... It took ahold of me. He pressed his lips to mine, and I became savage. I gripped the back of his neck, pulling him into a fiery, passionate kiss.

When we pulled away, he looked pleasantly surprised.

"Wow... Now I really wish I'd asked you out sooner!"
I laughed.
"So..." he asked. "How about coffee again tomorrow?"
"It's a date," I told him seductively, and turned to walk into my building.

And I knew he was watching me leave.

Once I got up to our apartment, I twirled as I entered through the door. I hummed to myself, and greeted my two roommates with a hearty kiss on each cheek, like my old French grandmother used to to do me.

"Isn't it good to be alive?" I sang, dancing around them.
Jesse laughed, but Linc was confused.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" he demanded, wiping off his cheeks where I'd kissed him.
"Duh, dipshit!" Jesse exclaimed, hitting him over the head. "She's in love!"

"What? No way! WIth who?"

I hummed a bit more before answering, "A lovely boy by the name of Aiden..."

I sighed and began doing little leaps and more twirls around the room.

Ah, to be young and in love!