You Had Me at "I Hate You"

24

I had changed the sheets on Linc's bed before I got into it, so don't worry.

I snuggled deep into the comforter, and bid Massia goodnight, but she was suffering from some serious jet-lag, and was already asleep.

I sighed at rolled over. Linc's bed just wasn't as comfortable as my own.

But, like always, sleep enveloped me, and I drifted off.

"Don't," I ordered the sea otter, but it would listen.

"Violet," it mumbled, poking me with it's flipper again. "Wake up!"

"No... Quit poking me... Quit poking me... Quit poking-"


"Violet!" Linc groaned, shaking my shoulder. "Damn it! Get up!"
"Mmmm..." I mumbled, and opened a bleary eye, rising from my dream.

"Jesse snores. Can I sleep in here?"
"Whatever," I grunted, and shut my eyes again.
"Scoot," he ordered, poking me again, and I shuffled over to the far right side of the bed.

Linc got in with me, and threw the covers over us before I came to my senses. I shot straight up and pushed on his back with my feet. He tumbled out of bed and landed on the ground with a thump.

"What the hell!"
"What?" he muttered, rubbing his tired eyes.
"You can't just crawl into bed with me, Linc, you big perv!"
"Wha- I... I wasn't... Jesse was snoring up a storm!"
"I don't care what Jesse was doing! You've just got to deal!"
"It's awkward!" he whined. "I don't want to sleep with-"
"Deal!" I shouted, interrupting him.

He got up, stretched, yawned, and scratched his belly, which was bare -- as he was wearing only flannel pajama bottoms. Then, suddenly, he was back in bed with me. I'd hardly seen him move!

Okay, maybe I was just a little distracted by the fact that he was lacking a shirt, but it was still a cheap trick! I pushed on his back again, but he wouldn't budge. I sighed in defeat.

"If I let you stay, do you promise to be good?"
He uttered a soft laugh. "I'm always good in bed, Dollfa-"
"Pig!"
"Kidding, only kidding!"
"Promise?"
"I'll keep my hands -- and other body parts -- to myself."
"You better," I told him skeptically.
"I will!" he insisted. "I can be a trustworthy guy!"

I snorted in what my mother would call an 'unbecoming' way, and then rolled over so that I no longer had to look at Linc.

He was silent for a while, but then, about twenty minutes later, just as I was drifting off...

I felt cool fingers tracing little circles on my shoulder. They moved in a swirling pattern, down my arm.

I slapped the fingers away and twisted to face Linc.

"What the hell are you going?!" I whisper-shouted, as to not wake Massia up.
"Wha- I... I... I..."
I slapped him on his bare chest to emphasize my point. "What the hell was that?"

"Ouch!" he grunted and clutched his now red right pectoral muscle. "I thought you were asleep!"
"Oh, so that fact that I'm asleep makes feeling me up less creepy?!"
"I wasn't feeling you up!"
"But you wanted to!"

He rolled his eyes.

"Get out!" I ordered, and began pushing him with renewed strength. "You broke your promise. Get out."
He resisted me easily and insisted, "Okay! Okay, Vi! I really promise this time! I'll be good!"
"No!" I said stubbornly. "I can't trust you anymore. Go sleep with the snoring-boy-wonder!"

He crossed his arms over his chest. In the dim light, I could see a pink, hand-shaped mark on it.

"No."
"What?"
"No."
"No?"
"I'm not leaving."
"Linc," I began angrily, but lost my steam.

"Fine," I said crisply. "Fine. I'm leaving."

I grabbed my pillow out from under Linc's head, and then ripped the soft comforter off. I strode out into the living room, and set my provisions down on the couch. Linc had replaced the cushions after he'd given up trying to sleep in Jesse's room, so at least I had a make-shift mattress.

That didn't change the fact that the couch was about three feet shorter than me. I curled into an uncomfortable ball and closed my eyes.

"Come on, Violet," Linc said from the door. "Get back in here. Jess will kill me if he finds out that I made you sleep on that couch."
"No."

It was my turn to be stubborn.

"Violet-"
"No!"
"Hmph. Fine. Have a nice night!"

He went back into our room, and I tried to get comfortable.

I woke up about an hour later with a crick in my neck. It felt like I'd been sleeping out on the pavement.

I grumbled in defeat, and shuffled back into my room.

"Massia," I whispered. "Massia, wake up!"

She grunted and slapped my hand away. I prodded her again.

"Massia, scoot over!" I urged, and tried to slide into the bed next to her.
She mumbled angrily and shoved me off the bed. Mass was not what you'd call a morning person. She called it Grumpy A.M. Bitch Disease.

I darted a glance at Linc. He was staring at me, wearing a smirk.

I stuck my tongue out at him and laid down on the floor, pretending that I was comfy.

"When are you going to give in?" Linc asked.
"I don't know what you're talking about," I told him.
He sighed. "Cut it out and get your ass up here."

Slightly surprised by the force of his words, I obeyed, and crawled under the covers.

He stayed true to his promise this time, and kept his hands to himself.

I fell into one of the deepest sleeps I'd ever had.