You Had Me at "I Hate You"

29

Julia patted her full belly and smiled at Gavin.

"It was wonderful, Gav... Thank you," she said, and her boyfriend positively beamed.

Linc's purple bruise had swollen up larger than normal, and Jesse had grown worried. He was quieted by Massia (who, honestly, was the only one who could do so) and I offered to get him an ice pack.

He was currently sitting on the counter, waiting for me to finish wrapping a couple ice cubes in a dish towel.

"Here you go..." I murmured, pressing the cloth to his forehead.
He sucked in his breath. "Ouch..."
"I know," I soothed, swiping his bangs from his face. "And it will probably heal slow as hell, thanks to your von-whatsit."
"Von Willebrand," he corrected.
I laughed and continued dabbing at his forehead with the ice pack.

"S'good to see you laughing," he commented casually. "You got over Aiden quick."
I sighed. "Dinner's distracted me."
"Oh."

Did he honestly think that I'd have gotten over my boyfriend in less that twenty-four hours? I knew he wasn't good with commitment... But come on!

He heaved a great sigh."Violet..."
I tensed. "What, Linc?"
"You're hurting me."
"Oh! Sorry!" I realized that I'd been pressing harder and harder with the dish towel after he said my name.

"No! No, that's not what I wanted to say."
He took my hand away from his head.
"Hey! Would you look at that!" I blurted nervously, trying to divert his attention. "The swelling's gone down!"

I continued to dab at the bruise with the cold cloth... But stopped suddenly when I realized something...

I was inches away from Linc's face.

And he had that look in his eyes.

Slowly, he leaned towards me...

Without warning, Jesse walked into the kitchen, and stopped short.

"Oh! Sorry, sorry!" he cried, backing up. "I didn't mean to interrupt! Sorry!"
"Jesse!" I cried, jumping back from Linc. "We weren't doing anything!"
He fumbled over a few more words before making a hasty exit.

I ran my hands through my hair in frustration. "Why does he think that whenever we're alone, we start making out?" I demanded.
"Well, Dollface... You've got to admit -- It's happened a few times before..."

I grunted in reply, and dumped the ice cubes from the towel into the sink. I ran the hot water, watching them melt to fill up the awkward space.

"Um..." Linc said again, and hopped off the counter. "Do you... Erm... Can we talk in our room?"
My heart started to pound. "What's wrong with talking right here?"
"I just... I don't want to be interrupted."
"We won't be interrupted right here."
"It's... Violet, it's sort of personal."
I sighed. "I still don't understand-"

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me into our room, shutting the door quietly so that the others, who were gathered out on the small patio, couldn't hear.

I sat down on my bed, glad to be back at home.

Linc sat down on his own bed, his hands in his lap, and his head hanging.

"Spit it out, Lincoln," I ordered.
"Have you ever thought about dating?" he blurted.
"Um..." I faltered, surprised by his words.
"Not dating in general, but... Us."
"Us?" I choked.
"Us."
"You and me?"
"Dating."
"Dating?"

"Violet, if you keep repeating what I say, we're never going to get anywhere with this conversation."
I took a deep breath. "Linc... I can't deny that I've thought about it... But... I just don't see it happening, you know?"

He didn't seem to give up. "But it could! I mean... I'm single... You're single..."

I've got to give him props. It takes a lot of courage to admit your feelings for someone.

"Maybe... I don't know... Could we try something... To see if there's anything between us?"
I sighed. "Like what?"
"Like... like... Well, you know..."
"Like a kiss?" I finished.

He rung his hands nervously.

"The thing is, I've just broken up with Aiden. I'm not ready for-"
"I know, I know! Just... One kiss, okay? To try it out... No strings attached."
"Linc, when it comes to kissing you, there are always strings attached."

He flopped back onto his bed, his ears burning red.

I had to end this silly fantasy of his. I had to end it fast. No matter what I felt during this kiss, and I honestly wasn't sure what it would be, I would tell Linc that it was dead. I'd tell him that I felt nothing. Even if dynamite exploded in my heart... I'd lie.?I couldn't get involved with someone like Linc! You understand that, don't you? I'm only thinking of my well-being!?
Quietly, I got up off my bed and moved to his. I could tell that he was nervous. When I sat next to him, he jumped up in fright. He was fidgeting and tugging at the collar of his shirt with shaking hands.?
"Linc," I ordered. "Calm down."?"S-Sorry."?
He sighed and repositioned himself on the bed so that he was closer to me. This decision seemed to embarrass him, because his cheeks turned red.
?"Linc! Calm down!"?"Sorry! I just... I want this to go smoothly."?"It was smooth enough last time."?"Last time I was drunk!"?I rolled my eyes. "Let's get it over with."?He deflated slightly. "What? Get it over with?"?I realized my mistake. "No! No, I didn't mean it like that! Just... Just come on, kiss me."?"No! Not if all you want to do is get it over- MMM!"?
His protests were muffled when I turned his chin, and kissed him full on in the mouth. He responded with a force that nearly knocked me over, and tangled his fingers up into my hair. I couldn't help myself... I wrapped one hand around the back of his neck, and let the other rest on his chest.?
He sucked in his breath and continued kissing, his lips moving eagerly against mine, willing them to part. I hesitated...
And then opened my mouth slightly. He grasped my shoulders, tugging me closer...?The door flung open. We pulled apart suddenly.?
"Hey guys, have you seen... Woah!"?"JESSE!" Linc cried. "WHAT THE HELL?!"?"Sorry! Sorry!"?"Not again!"?"It's not my fault that you kids can't control raging hormones for eleven seconds!"?"GET OUT!" we both yelled in unison.?Jesse made a hasty exit, and Linc groaned in embarrassment.?"Every time!"?
I shifted uncomfortably. "So... Did you feel anything?"?He winced. "You first."?"Linc... Sorry... There was... Nothing," I told him, just like I'd planned.?
Linc blinked in surprise. "Oh!"?"And... You?"?"Yeah, yeah," he lied. "The same. Nothing. Absolutely nothing."?I couldn't believe it. I was breaking the poor guy's heart!?I leaned over and kissed him tenderly on the cheek.?"I'm sorry, Lincoln..." I mumbled, and combed my fingers through his hair. "Really... I'm sorry."?
Stony, he shrugged me off of him, and then left the room. I heard the front door slam.?And, just like that, he was gone.