White Roses Fade to Black

Just a Dream?

Lucie sat at the back of the school bus, Hellogoodbye’s Here (In Your Arms) blasting in her unpierced ears. Her lips moved silently to the words and her head bopped to the music.

“I fell in love, in love with you suddenly,” the song played on.

Lucie growled as thought about Freddie. Had she fallen for him? The song was pissing her off, with the love and romance factors ringing through her ears.

“Grr,” Lucie mumbled, changing the song to something a little less lovey-dovey and a little more depressing and morbid.

Cemetery Drive by My Chemical Romance pulsed through the earphones, sending the familiar shiver down Lucie’s spine. All MCR’s songs affected her in the same way. There was just something about their music that made her tremble every time she heard them.

Maybe it was the slight punk element that had made her fall in love in the first place; maybe it was the hard rock and the metal elements that she had always adored that had got her hooked; maybe, even, it the screaming, of Gerard Way and Frank Iero, that she had always been wary and shaky to try.

Whatever it was, it was strong, and she fucking loved it.

“I miss you! I miss you so far!” Gerard Way’s voice sang.

Lucie’s heart pounded as she thought about poor David, cooped up in hospital. The tears prickled her eyes as she once again blamed herself. If only he hadn’t heard her parents basically kicking the shit out of her. Lucie wiped her eyes as the bus pulled up at the next stop.

“Come on Bethany, let me help!” a familiar voice yelled.

*
I’m bleeding on the floor
I’m crying out for more
Everything I touch seems to die
There’s scissors in my pocket
Shut the door and lock it
I just can’t seem to say goodbye

Note book and pen
Safe haven: den
Blade in hand
Pain on demand

Music in my ear
Cannot shed a tear
Nobody even really cares
Write another poem
To stop me going home
I’ll give it all not to be there

Note book and pen
Safe haven: den
Blade in hand
Pain on demand

Can’t you hear me screaming?
Or is it in my mind?
Can’t you hear me crying?
So much I’ve left behind

Can’t you see me bleeding?
The scissors in my palm
Can’t you see I’m dying?
I’ve caused you so much harm

Note book and pen
Safe haven: den
Blade in hand
Pain on demand
Knife to my wrist
Now here’s a twist
Not scared to die
Just can’t say goodbye
Say goodbye
Say goodbye
Not everyone deserves a second chance…


It was lonely at the bus stop. Nothing but the wind and, just recently, the drizzling rain. The trees behind her shook in the wind, drenching Katherine and making her shiver slightly. The rain began to fall harder, so Katherine pushed herself further into the trees.

“Stupid rain,” she mumbled.

She shivered again as a drop of rain rolled down her face from her sodden hair, and dripped off her nose. The trees blew in the wind, shaking more water onto Katherine’s already soaked skin. She screamed slightly and pulled up the hood on her raincoat, trying to keep warm and dry.

The bus pulled up at the stop and she jumped out her spot to catch it, sending more droplets of water down her face. A blast of warm air hit her and blew her hair outta her face as the doors opened, and she stepped gingerly onto the step.

“Where’ll it be?” the grumpy woman bus driver asked.

“One to Belleville Lane, please,” Katherine muttered, throwing £2 onto the tray.

The driver took her money and handed her the change. Katherine took her ticket and looked round the bus for somewhere to sit. There was a free space at the back, next to a guy who looked kinda familiar.

She walked over to him and sat down, opening her portfolio to check her course-work. Her drawings were drenched, but the black markers ink thankfully wasn’t running.

Katherine silently thanked God and leaned back in her seat, wincing slightly as the bumping motion of the bus knocked her slashed forearms.

“Stupid school.”

*
‘I wake up and look around. It’s not the hospital room which I’ve gotten used to in the last two days, but it’s my own room. The sun blares through the curtains and I blink the light spots away. One thought shoots through my mind: Lucie.

I sit up and gasp. If I’m okay, is she okay? My cell starts to beep and I swing my legs over the edge of the bed, and pick up my cell.

“Hello?” I ask, my voice strong yet full of concern.

It feels good to be well again. I can move, I can talk. I have no doubt I can dance and sing as well.

“David, it’s Lesley. Lucie’s in hospital,” Lesley says, her voice small, high and broken.

She’s been crying. It must be pretty bad because Lesley doesn’t cry at nothing. And Lucie. She won’t even go to the doctors if she’s got tonsillitis; won’t go to the dentist if she has toothache. It must be pretty damn bad, I think.

“I’ll… I’ll be right there,” I whisper.

There’s a lump in my throat as I hang up the phone, thinking the utter worst that could have happened to Lucie.

I climb out of bed and dress as quickly as I possibly can. I throw some black denim pants, a basic black tee-shirt and some clean underwear on, then quickly tug on a hoody and my vans.

Practically running out the house, I phone for a taxi, which turns up in a little over five minutes. I jump in the cab and fasten my belt as fast as I can.

“Hospital, and fast,” I say.

The driver nods silently and puts the cars into gear, setting off for the hospital. It takes us only a few minutes to get there, driving at seventy most of the way. I literally throw the money at him.

“Keep the change,” I mumble.

He nods and I get out, leaving him to drive away before I can change my mind. I sigh and turn to face the hospital. The grey building looms over me, sending shivers down my spine; I never did like hospitals.

I run into the hospital and up to the front desk, demanding to know where Lucie is. The receptionist points me in the direction of the room, and I sprint up the staircase she indicates.

After a long jog, I come to another reception desk. I sigh and shake my head, sauntering over to it.

“Lucie Stinton,” I mumble.

This receptionist smiles and nods her head towards the door nearest to us. I smile back and, thinking how much better this receptionist is compared to the grumpy old cow at the front desk, I walk to Lucie’s door and turn the handle…

“Guess who!” I grin as I open the door

The sight that meets my eyes makes me wanna break down and cry, yet it’s stripped me bare and makes my heart numb of all emotion. Lucie pulls her lips away from the other guys’, and I see that it’s that Freddie guy from this morning.

“Oh. Hey David. Didn’t I tell you? I don’t feel the same way about you and I think we should see other people. Oh, and this is Freddie, my new boyfriend,” Lucie smiles.

Her face, pale as always, grows slightly pink as she looks round at the Freddie guy and smiles. I feel my heart tear in two; my throat begins to close up and I can’t breathe…’


David sat up suddenly, sweating profusely and breathing heavily. His head was throbbing slightly, and he put it in his hands.

“It was just a dream,” David whispered to himself.

Her looked over at the clock. Definitely in the hospital room again. The clock read 10 am. God, he’d only been asleep for like an hour. Lucie was at school.

“Just a dream.”