White Roses Fade to Black

David and Caulm

“Les? Sweetie, where are you?” Lucie asked, looking under all the doors.

Someone sniffed, and Lucie followed the sound to the third cubical from the bottom on the right. She sighed and knocked on the door.

“What?” Lesley mumbled angrily.

Lucie sighed again and went into the next cubical. It was empty, luckily, and she hopped on the toilet to look over the wall.

“Les, come on. It’s just Katherine, it isn’t like she killed him,” Lucie said, reaching down and ruffling Lesley’s golden brown hair.

Without warning, Lesley burst into tears again, and rolled up her sweater sleeve. It shined with blood and there were deep cuts littered all over.

“I’m so sorry, Luce, I just can’t do it anymore…” Lesley whispered.

Lucie hopped over the wall and sat next to Lesley, hugging her. Lesley’s blood was soaking her shirt, but Lucie didn’t care. Her best friend was in bits, so what did a stupid school sweater matter?

“Lucie, promise me you’ll never leave me. Promise me that if I do something stupid that you’ll make your life the best it can be. If I decide to go and be with Mike, tell me that you won’t follow me until your time comes. Please, and never ever leave me. I couldn’t live without you. You’re the best thing that ever happened to me aside from Mike. You’re the best friend I’ve ever had and I thank God everyday for you. So promise me you’ll never leave me…” Lesley whimpered.

Lucie let the tears roll down her cheeks.

“I promise,” she whispered.

*
David and Calum sat on the sofa, trying to watch TV. David’s phone rang and he jumped. He wiped his face and answered the phone.

“H-Hello?” he asked.

“David? Have you been crying?” Lucie’s voice asked him.

David sighed. How did she always know? God she was amazing. David thought about her, forgetting that she was on the other end of the line. Lesley O’Riley was her best friend; Mike’s crush. He knew that Lesley had always loved Mike back, but they were always too afraid to admit it. Him and Lucie had always done their best to try get Les and Mike together, and slowly but surely, David had fallen for Lucie. Everything about her made him weak at the knees and she was all he began to think about.

“David? David are you there? Have you been crying?” Lucie asked him again.

David zoned in again and came to reality; the fact that his brother – his best friend- was gone, the fact he was in love with his brother’s crush’s best friend, the fact that his life was falling to pieces around him.

“I’m here. And I can’t lie to you, yeah I have been crying,” he mumbled, picking at the flowers in the vase on the dinner table.

“Oh sweetie, I know it’s hard. You don’t wanna see what Lesley did to herself at school today. Do you and Calum wanna come over? Mum and dad are out partying and my sister Ellie is on a date with some guy in your form. Free food?” Lucie smiled.

David knew she was smiling; there was just something about her that always seemed to be smiling. David’s face curled into the cute little grin he got when he was talking to or thinking about Lucie, and Calum knew what was going on.

“Yeah, sure, let me just ask Cal,” David muttered into the receiver.

“Lucie wants to know if we wanna go round her place. Free food?” he grinned, imitating Lucie.

Calum rolled his eyes. Then a thought burst in his head. Lesley would probably be there. She’d do anything not to go home. He didn’t know why; her parents seemed like nice people. On the surface anyway.

“Yeah sure,” Calum said, not looking from the TV.

“He said yeah,” David said to Lucie, turning away from his older brother.

Lucie’s heart did a back flip. She liked David so much, but she was totally convinced he didn’t feel the same. She thought Lesley was the pretty one, the smart one, the funny one, the cool one. She was the tagalong. Lesley thought the same, only about Lucie.

“So, uh, I’ll see you at eight?” Lucie asked, her face growing red.

“Yes, deff,” David smiled, his face also going red.

“Okay bye,” Lucie grinned.

“Bye,” David chuckled.

He did a little dance and glanced at the clock. Seven forty five. They should set off now, or they’d be late.

“Come on, Cal, we’ll be late,” David mumbled, picking up his jacket.

He pulled on his converses and nudged his brother, throwing him his jacket and black vans. Calum nodded and pulled them on. He felt really guilty. He knew he shouldn’t like Lesley the way he did; she belonged to Mike. Mike loved Lesley, and Lesley loved Mike. Calum sighed and followed his brother out the front door.