This Year

Privacy

If there’s one thing Camille absolutely hates it’s those moments in class where you’re forced to introduce yourself to people, tell them the basics about your life – as if that’s something to judge each other upon… that’s what’s so good about college, the lack of those lame introductions, but yet she finds herself stuck trying to type out a somewhat decent explanation of her complex being.

Eventually a deep sigh escapes her mouth when she once again finds herself erasing the whole paragraph she just pushed herself to write. The frustration of not being able to put into words the limited amount she’s willing to share about herself eventually catches up. How about… I don’t tell you about myself, because I absolutely hate that… and I won’t read about you in any magazines to get to know you… but we get to know each other by just talking to one another? I’m much more comfortable with that…

A smug and content smile plays on her lips when she presses enter, impressed with her own dodging skills. “What’s with the grin, Cheshire Cat?” Adriana asks, pulling Camille out of the idea that she’s alone in the room. A colourful blush appears on the young girl’s face when she notices her roommate’s eyes burning on her skin.

“Nothing… just Facebook.” Camille tries to brush it off but the roll Adriana’s eyes make tells her that her roommate is not satisfied with that answer. “It’s nothing, really. You know that if there was something worth telling you, I would.” And with that, Adriana releases the hold she put on Camille with her eyes by continuing what she was doing before – watching some crappy reality TV show.

“Do you want some tea?” Camille asks as she carefully puts her laptop down on the couch before getting up. Camille tugs her sweatpants into place, waiting for Adriana to answer but a simple ‘Mhm’ will have to do.

As the water starts to boil she grabs two cups from the cabinet then searches through their collection of teas. “Which do you want?” Camille calls out to her friend.

“Camomile, Camille.” Adriana laughs, she always loves to say that and Camille has never understood why. When Camille turns around she’s met with the smirking face of her roommate. “And you… miss ‘If there’s something to tell, I will tell’… have something to tell!” She says, empathising the ‘something’, merely causing Camille to raise a brow in confusion.

Camille quickly slips passed her friend to grab the boiling water. She puts a bag in each cup before pouring the boiling water on top of the bag. “Don’t pretend you don’t know what I’m on about…” Adriana sighs as she grabs her cup of tea but instead of walking back into the living room, she leans her butt against the counter and rests a judging stare upon Camille.

“I really have no clue…” Camille sighs as she wraps her cold hands around the cup in before blowing away some of the steam. “You’re frustrating me… I don’t like these cryptic messages… just tell me what’s going on, be straight up.” Camille sighs, rolling her eyes visibly to get her point across before walking back to take her previous spot on the couch.

As she settles down, she quickly takes a small sip of the hot liquid. “Fine! You and Zayn Malik? Care to explain!” Adriana explodes, throwing her empty hand up in the air. A frown appears on Camille’s face as she spits the tea back into the cup after burning her tongue.

“Oh, that. He added me on Facebook, it’s the second time we’ve talked. You’ll know what’s up when something is up.” Camille sighs, putting down her cup of tea on the ground before pulling the laptop back in her lap.

Adriana settles back on the couch and then throws a judging look over her shoulder. “Whatever you say.” She mumbles, causing Camille to roll her eyes again.

Camille is the type of person that very much likes her privacy… and that’s the first thing you lose when living together with another human being. Actually… I’ll tell you one thing about myself… my goal in life is to become a lonely cat lady! Haha, either that or find someone to live with that will actually give me some privacy.

It’s not until the message is sent that a weird feeling in her gut makes her realise that she just sent Zayn two messages, like eight minutes apart… five minutes after he read the first… and then the confusion settles in, why is she timing the conversation? Why does it matter?

Confused, Camille shakes her head then minimises the conversation with Zayn to scroll down her newsfeed without a distraction. At least, she hoped it wouldn’t be a distraction but the moment she sees he’s typing she can’t help but smile a little at her screen.

As soon as the bar turns red, she opens the conversation – immediately wanting to slap herself for her eagerness in all of this. At least you have some goals in life then… haha, if I were you… I’d try to achieve the second one first? You can always become a cat lady when you’re fifty years old, plenty of time yano.

I could be dead by the time I turn 50… and then I wouldn’t have achieved either of my two goals, now that would suck! I should combine my two goals… but then I’d have to add dogs and hamsters and chinchilla’s and guinea pigs and… a whole farm to that list!

So… you’re an animal lover. Wow, I already know three things about you ;) your name is Camille, you love animals and… you like privacy.

And yet I still know very little about you, why is that… kind sir?

Well… some might say… I like my privacy ;) A laugh falls from Camille’s lips after reading Zayn’s message, before she manages to type a reply she notices that Zayn is already typing out another message which causes a small smile to appear on the young girl’s face again. Gotta go. Talk soon, miss Camille.

°°°


After sleeping for about twelve hours, Zayn wakes up to a house filled with four loud boys. “What… why…” Zayn mumbles before letting a yawn escape his mouth, he rubs through his eyes then looks at his four friends who are all smiling at him with the most innocent look on their faces.

“Hello… friend!” The curly-headed brunette, best known as Harry, smiles before shoving a cup of half-warm tea into Zayn’s hands. “Figured we’d hang out today… have a couple of laughs… use your pool… have a drink…” Harry mumbles with a mischievous smile on his face that shows off the deep dimples in his cheeks. “…use your pool…” Harry mumbles again, earning a laugh from Zayn who simply points all four boys in the direction of the kitchen door, which then leads to the pool. A loud cheer erupts from the four boys, making Zayn cringe at the sound so soon after he’s woken up.

“But be quiet…” Zayn mumbles, following his four friends into the kitchen to stop for a quick breakfast before joining his friends at the poolside. Zayn isn’t much of a swimmer, actually, he’s not a swimmer – not at all. But he likes the idea of his sisters and friends having the ability to come over to his and enjoy themselves and all that.

Zayn pulls open his fridge to grab a box of eggs, some milk and cheese. “Should I get the bread then, mate?” Niall’s cracked voice sounds through the kitchen, causing Zayn to turn around instantly. “Sorry, didn’t mean to shock you.”

A chuckle escapes Zayn’s lips as he shrugs at his friend, who’s already holding out the bread. “Should’ve known you’d be here if I were to make breakfast. Ye want some eggs then, aye?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Aye, aye! I'm not dead! Surprise!
Sorry, I've been so incredibly busy with school and work... I actually had this chapter nearly finished months ago but couldn't quite get it right.

I'll try to update more often, I promise :)
Thanks for reading, for the comments and subscriptions.
I hope more will come!

Xoxo