This Year

Marlboro Menthol

“Okay! Guys!” Camille says, raising her voice to earn the five boys’ attention. “We are about fifteen minutes behind on schedule… we should be able to make this up through the rest of the shoot if all goes well! I’ll bring you to the set.”

As Camille starts walking over to the green screen where they have now set up a car and motorcycle in front of the green screen she gains a following of five boys and Elizabeth. “Camille, we’ll do our best to make up for lost time, okay?” Liam tells her with a friendly smile before taking his place on set.

“Five, four, three…” Vaughan calls over the music that’s now rolling. Harry sitting behind Zayn on the motorcycle, leaning completely back and tensing up his muscles to keep himself from falling off. “Harry, you’re on screen!” Vaughan calls out, quickly after the music comes to a halt and Vaughan starts explaining to Harry how he should position himself.

Camille watches it all unfold carefully, sometimes one of the boys throws her a funny face in between one of the shots. Harry even threw her a little wave while he was hiding behind Zayn to which she had happily waved back.

°°°


The boys have just finished up their last scene of the night and immediately surround Camille. “Say it! Say those three magical words!” Harry begs, throwing his sweaty arms around Camille’s neck causing her to tense up a bit.

They have just been playing around in thick, winter clothes under bright spotlights so it’s no surprise they’re all very sweaty, but Camille would rather not have to go home smelling of someone else’s sweat. It might give people the wrong impression.

“It’s a wrap!” Camille then yelled to which the five boys cheered, earing a giggle from the smaller brunette. “Now go get changed and all that so you can go sleep… or drink… or whatever you do!” Camille laughs as she points the boys in the direction of their dressing rooms.

A sigh of relief escapes Camille when she turns around to see Elizabeth. “You did a great job… I’m sure you’re exhausted so I’m gonna handle this and let you off now, okay? I’ll see you next week.” Camille nods, holding back a yawn before she head back to Elizabeth’s office to gather her belongings. She only spent five hours with these boys but could already tell how exhausting they were, they had so much energy around them that it nearly sucked the energy out of Camille’s already energy-less body.

Camille carefully puts her badge away as she steps outside of the building, searching her bag of her pack of cigarettes and a lighter. “Aha…” She announces happily when she’s finally gotten a hold of her pack of Marlboro menthol cigarettes.

“Need a lighter?” Camille’s head snaps up in shock, she hadn’t noticed Zayn until he spoke up and although his voice is very calm it shocked her quite a bit. Camille laughs awkwardly before nodding towards the dark-haired man.

When Zayn reaches out his lighter, with him thumb already in position to roll off of the metal and onto the plastic, Camille carefully steps closer to the taller man. She holds her hands up around his, to make sure the winds doesn’t get in the way of the tiny flame that’s about to erupt from the lighter, and then Zayn slides down his thumb which signalizes Camille to suck in a breathe.

As she blows out her first drag she gives Zayn a polite smile. “I knew you smoke… but why? You’re a singer… not good for the vocal chords, you should know that.” Camille laughs, looking at Zayn whose cheeks sink in when he takes a drag of his cigarette.

“How did you know? Bad habits, everyone has them, no?” He asks, tapping lightly on his cigarette causing a bit of ashes to fall to the ground. Camille smiles, sucking in another drag before answering Zayn’s questions. It gives him time to admire her features, her strong jawline with slightly rounded cheeks.

“I guess so. I could smell it on your fingers earlier.” Camille explains, earning an ‘ah’ expression from Zayn. After that their conversation dies out but the two sneak glances at each other every once in a while, when they catch each other stealing another glimpse they quickly cover it up with a friendly smile. “Shouldn’t you be changing?” Camille then asks before Zayn throws his cigarette onto the ground, he stomps on it and twists his feet in a half circle twice before looking up at Camille again.

“That’s what I’ll be doing now. I needed to have some time by myself first…” Zayn quickly holds up his hand when Camille opens her mouth, probably to apologize for disturbing the man’s peace. “No, it’s fine. I liked the company. Just needed a break from the other four.”

Zayn pushes against the door, sighing before shooting Camille an apologetic smile. “Can you let me in?” He laughs to which Camille nods, she quickly throws away her cigarette then reaches back into her bag. She carefully holds her badge in front of the lock until a green light pops up she then pushes the door open to let Zayn through. “If you want… you can come out with us? We’re just gonna go to a pub, have a drink…” Zayn offers.

The thought plays around in Camille’s mind for what seems like a minute with Zayn’s big, brown eyes staring at her face but she then chooses to forgo the offer. “Thanks…” A small smile appears on Zayn’s face but it fades once the ‘but’ follows. “I haven’t gotten much sleep lately… so I really should be heading home.”

Zayn nods understandingly. “Well can I add you on Facebook?” Zayn then asks carefully causing a short laugh to escape Camille.

“Yes, of course.” She says. “I’m gonna head home now, enjoy your night!” Camille continues and just as she starts to close the door Zayn pulls it back.

“I will need your last name to do so…” He laughs, causing a shade of pink to appear on Camille’s cheeks.

“Oh… um… of course.” Camille laughs, scratching awkwardly at the back of her neck. “It’s Scouten… and my name’s spelled c-a-m-i-l-l-e.” She explains, earning a satisfied smile from Zayn.

“So it’s pronounced cuh-mee but spelled like cu-mi-eh?” He questions with a thick accent and a raised eyebrow. When Camille simply nods in response, he does the same. “Well, get home safely… I’ll Facebook you!” Zayn laughs as he points in Camille’s direction, he then makes his way over to the dressing room where his four band mates are all ready to get going.

“Yeah she’s definitely nice…” Liam says, answering Harry who he’s in a conversation with. “And fit.” Liam quickly adds, earning a laugh from Zayn and the other boys.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading and commenting and all that. No shout out this time because I'm not in the mood for it. I have the next chapter finished already but would love some feedback from my subscribers? I'd greatly appreciate any of you taking two more minutes out of your time to let me know what you think of my work so far, if you don't I still appreciate you even reading my work.

Also: a smile a day keeps regrets away! (not true, but seemed something fun to say)