Status: Here's Chapter one, enjoy!

Viva La Gloria I: World Tour

6. There Is No Return From '86

I was exhausted from my long day of travel and observing. I was feeling lucky though. For one, not being spotted yet. And for two, after a bit of poking around, I found this mustard yellow shipping container full of, would you believe it? Second hand Velveteen curtains. Piled high in a array of colors in shabby cardboard boxes. I smiled to myself. Secretly pleased, I dumped over a tall box of stage curtains. They looked a lot like the ones I had to be writhed up in earlier in order to watch the show.
I sat down on them. Patting them into a beddish form. Then laid down to go to sleep. Because with what today brought, there is no doubt in my mind I'll be exhausted tomorrow too. I fell to sleep instantly. The days work replaying over and over behind my lids. But I excepted it. Smiling in my sleep. Lucky me, I wasn't too restless. But thanks to being so exhausted, the worst came the following morning...
I got up and stretched when I could see ribbons of warm light pouring in through the crack in the door. I yawned, scratched my back and picked up my backpack. Slung it over my shoulder and pulled open the door. Blinded instantly by the blistering summer sun. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, and when I opened them. Almost like magic... The buses had disappeared from the lot also locked behind the barbwire wrapped fence. I suddenly felt very alone and my blood ran cold as the conclusion boiled up in my mind. I'd missed my ride. They were gone. Green Day. Billie. Tré. Mike... Gone. I'm alone.
I ran a frustrated hand through my loose hair. I can't believe I lost them! I took and deep breath to concentrate. They were going to New York. Walking it was defiantly out. How will I ever catch up with them?
I made a mad dash for the Entertainment Center. Yanked open the unlocked door and went searching for an office of some sort to give me information.
I ran up the steps in the giant autorium. Bursting up to the front desk. An middle aged woman looked up at me from a book.
“Yes?” she asked lazily.
I took a deep breath “Green Day. Do you know where they went?”
She suddenly smirked “Honey. I hate to correct you, but they played last night. They. Are. Gone.” she looked at my American Idiot shirt for a long second.
“I know that.” I snapped “I mean where do they go after this show?” that's the only information I never got. I knew they were headed to New York. But I couldn't say for sure if they'd stop and play some small surprise shows along the way, and I could hitch a ride.
“They were going to New York. That sweet little black hair boy dropped by early this morning to chat. Said they might be stopping at a few taverns in Longmont. Play some shows. His little short, red haired friend. Really hyper kid, gave me these.”
She passed two Green Day tickets over the counter.
“Now I don't have no interest in Green Day. But maybe you do. You can have them.”
My eyes widened “Are you serious?”
She shrugged “I'm not a punk lover. Take them. I insist.”
I looked at her for a second and then reached for them. “Isn't there anything you'd like in return?”
She looked thoughtful for a second “Yes.”
“What?”
“Enjoy the show.” she smiled kindly at me. So my instant reaction was to lean over the counter and hug her. She would never no how much this means to me.
Before she cloud respond, I was sprinting for the double doors up front
“I'm coming Billie!” I screamed shoving through them triumphantly. Taking off running for the highway which was quite an jog away. But I can make it. I paused to look at the tickets. Sure enough they were secret show tickets. Incredibly rare to even hold one. I read the address and pulled out my map of Colorado from my backpack. After locating the Tavern on the address. I could see that this was going to be the only show I'd be attending legally.
I sprinted downtown. For a bright yellow taxi. I'm going to Longmont!
I slid in the backseat and gave him my destination. Putting three twenties over the seat. He nodded obediently and drove for Longmont.
I sat back and began to imagine what I'd say if I met Billie tonight. I closed my eyes and grinned.
Longmont came all to quickly. But I was still very happy. He dropped me off at the address of the tavern. I smiled and thanked him. Grabbing my backpack and walking toward the door. Good thing is that I'm old enough to attend this show. I've got an id.
Yet the tour buses were nowhere to be seen. I looked around. Then at my watch. Had I beaten them here? It was nine thirty. The woman had said that Billie had been by early. How early? Was it just before they left or sometime before?
I sat down on the curb patiently. I put on my headphones to keep me from loosing my nerve. I listened to Jesus of Suburbia on repeat like seven times. Then I looked up unconsciously when I heard the sound of a bus settling on the curb. I read the logo. Secretly pleased again. Green Day was here.
Billie stepped off the bus and walked to the back. The others followed him. It was just one bus now, they must have sent the others onward to New York. Billie was carrying an guitar case toward the door of the tavern. I gasped and leapt to my feet. Not that it would matter if he saw me. I just still have to much in store to spoil it all now. I watched over my shoulder as i walked away, as he carried on toward the door of the tavern.
I ducked around the building before any of them could see me or too much of me. That's just too risky right now. When they were out of sight. I started fangirling- Again. Like last night.
They are from my favorite blooming band dammit! I looked around and ran an hand through my hair hastily. Turning and Spotting a door in the back of the long building, propped open with an brick. The sweet smell of bar food floated out. I pulled out the tickets from my backpack again. They're show doesn't start until this evening. When the building is full. I walked around front again. Ducking out of Mike's way when he slung an microphone stand in the doorway. He grinned slightly at me. I followed him in, he continued down a dark hall and I went to take a seat out the counter. Electrically hyperaware of them passing behind me. Close enough to touch. Just not quite. I needed to get my mind in check before I start hyperventilating or something ridiculous like that. I sighed heavily and dropped my head into my hands. I had only been on this trip for one whole day, and I'm already having an fantastic time.
The bartender was an mid twenties year old girl with shoulder length black ringlets. Piercing green eyes and pale skin. She wore an Metallica t shirt and black skinny jeans.
“Can I help you?” she asked softly while pouring a glass of water for a man that sat four seats down from me.
I shrugged “Can I get something to eat?”
That's how my afternoon continued. And I didn't see Billie or any of the other Green Day members again. Maybe I really had done something. Gotten too close for comfort...
“Green Day fan?” the man spoke up. The one sitting four seats down from me.
I glanced up to make sure he was talking to me before I answer “Yeah, why?”
He pursed his lips “I guess that makes us one of the same. Fellow Green Day fan.” he rolled up the sleeve of his red flannel shirt to show me his red heart grenade tattoo.
I leaned over the empty seats to get a better look at them “Cool.” I reached down and pulled off my boot and rolled up my jeans to my knee, adverting my ankle to show my Dookie bomb tattoo on thr inside of my foreleg.
He nodded, also impressed “You staying for tonights show?”
I pulled my boot on “Yep. I went to the one last night.”
“Where was that one again?”
“New Watt Entertainment Center. Just over the river by downtown Denver.” I said matter-of-factly.
He nodded and looked up as the waitress gave him another water.
“Well I'd reckon your pretty lucky. Especially if you got a ticket to this show.” he shook his head sadly “I'm not that lucky.” he laughed.
“You don't have a ticket?” I asked. Suddenly sympathetic.
He shook his head “No matter who you are or how well you keep tabs on those boys... You just don't get ticket unless you know them personally or something. Tickets were eaten up in seconds online.”
I looked down at the scratched up wood countertop.
“Here.” I said finally. Grabbing my backpack up off thr floor and unzipping it. I pulled out an ticket.
He waved his hands in front of him “Oh, no. I couldn't take your ticket.”
“Its not the only one.” I snorted pulling out the other one for proof.
His eyebrows raised “You mean that you don't need the spare?”
“No. I came to Denver alone.”
“Then why do you have two tic...” he cut himself off. Figuring that it wasn't worth it to make a big fuss over when some stranger is offering you a free ticket to a sold out Green Day concert.
He just carefully took it and looked away. He occasionally shared small conversations with me while I ate. I payed up then went venturing for an bathroom.
I walked past a door that was propped open. An inch at the most, yet still enough for the soft sounds of guitar to seep out. I closed my eyes coherently. Smiling as I concentrated. Standing just outside the door. It's soft paddlish beats represented an acoustic version of Ha Ha Your Dead. Off Shenanigans.
I backed carefully away from the door so in case one came out unexpectedly, it wouldn't seem so much like I'd been spying on them like an peeping Tom.
I glanced at the floor. Picked up my backpack and walk swiftly to the bathroom.
I took an deep breath before looking in the mirror. Yeesh, my hair was a mess, makeup smeared. I opened my backpack and got my brush. Took the rubber band out of my hair and shook it out around me. I began brushing it out till it became smooth as it would with all it's split ends. I pulled it back up into a pony tail. I took a square of toilet paper and smeared it around my eyes. Removing the remaining traces of yesterday's makeup. I opened my bag and took out an eyeliner pencil and a slender bottle of mascara. I put them each on it turn and tossed them back into my bag. I made sure I'd picked up all my makeup from the counter before unlocking the door and walking back to my seat up front. But not without pausing momentarily to listen to Basket Case after Billie plugged in an practice amp.
I grinned, fully happy versus my mood this morning. I sat back down at my seat and glanced at my watch. 10:00.
Why does it seem so long?!
I rested my chin on the counter and turned on my phone. I hadn't told anyone in Torrington that I was leaving. It only would have increased their disappointment in me if I didn't return. But I'm so close, I'm not disappointed in my current results.
The only people I told were Shirley Oliver and her husband. Who share my love for music. And the girls at the gymnasium. Patrick, Tigris, Anna and Gran. And especially my tutor,
They all had faith in me, but rather or not that faith was real, you'll have to decide for yourself.
I checked my Facebook. Which undoubtedly showed nothing for me. No messages of worry, just requests to be peoples neighbors in FarmVille.
I was agitated, I snapped it off and watched the blank screen for a long moment before I leapt from my seat and picked up my backpack, slung it over my shoulder and headed for the door. I freed myself onto thr curb. Where city life was teeming around me. There was an department store across the street. An safe distance to be from the tavern. In case Green Day unexpectedly decide to pack up and fly off to New York.
I crossed when it was clear and pulled open the heavy door. It was warm inside. And scented of cinnamon. Like the candle isle in a craft store.
I inhaled deeply and opened my eyes. There was an upstairs and an downstairs. The escalator carrying people from level to level gave me the feeling that this store was more like an mall. High dark beamed ceilings and scrunchy blue and green speckled carpet. Racks holding garments of every color and style were parked along the walls and down the room in wide rows. I took an deep breath and took it all in. I honestly had no idea where to even start.
I sighed and shrugged off to the beauty department.
I hadn't realized until earlier that I had been out of an few things. I picked up mascara, eyeliner pencils, and was nearly to the register. Taking my dear sweet time when I saw the bandana tower. Every color and band on it. I had an plan. I could be like this slinky spyish person, everybody would only know who I was because of this, I held up an bandana folded in half with an red, white and blue American flag pattern on it. It'd be neat I suppose. But I'd be using it for the bigger ideal. Keeping my identity a secret even if one of the members of Green Day, or all of them see me by accident, it would be an big deal. Cause no one could tell as easily on the fly that I was an girl pursuing her favorite band.
With that. I set it among my armload of items and went to go pay.

I'd say I was pretty sneaky about the whole thing if you get it from my point of view. I hid in plain sight all day. Only until there was an hour until the show. Then I slinked off to the same dirty bar bathroom as this morning. Got the bandana from my backpack and folded it diagonally. I lifted it, resting the edge of the fabric against the bridge of my nose. Tossed my ponytail aside and tied the knot. I adjusted it a little bit, until I hardly noticed it. Bad thing about bandanas over your mouth is that its an little bit claustrophobic. But I've never been that way on the outside, I could hide in closets this whole trip and not suffer any life-long trauma by it.
I hid out at an lone table in the corner of the bar. Until activity started to build up and crowds were starting to roll through the door. I'd paid my ticket and now waited for the show.
My heart. Leapt out my mouth and I almost swallowed it when I saw them. They jogged up on stage. Grinning and waving at their fans. This was their natural habitat.
After an bit of Aeee-Ohhhs from Billie Joe to get the small crowd started, he began to violently strum St. Jimmy.
I got up from my spot and moved as close to the stage as the noshing crowed would allow. That wasn't far. But far enough to get an good look at my favorite band. My muscles froze up. I couldn't move, or move the grin on my face. Billie downed an few beers in the first four songs which were Nice Guys Finish Last, Brain Stew/Jaded, Warning and of course St. Jimmy.
People closest to the stage had their phones out filming and taking pictures. Billie sneered and yelled “Common people, live in the moment. None of them fucking phones!”
A few people glared at him and slowly folded their phones and slid them into their back pockets. Others didn't care to heed Billie's warning and continue to film and take pictures. And I'm guessing that it was at that point that Billie had too many beers and was flat out drunk when he called up one person who had had their phone out. Billie grinned at her, hugged her lazily, and when he pulled away, he took and pocketed the phone and she didn't even notice Because Billie had busied her with singing the lyrics to Welcome to Paradise for him.
I grinned at that. He is brilliant when it comes to getting his way at no phones, live in the moment, not in the past or future. Live without all this technology. His theft reminded me of when people would ask for autographs, and he would do it, take the marker and paper or whatever they wanted signed, sign it, give it back. Take their Sharpie and walk away like he'd done good.
The show had started at eight thirty, it was now almost ten and the band was getting puckered out. They slowed it down after King For A Day. Like always, Billie ran around on stage with the crown and cape getup like an hooligan. He was enjoying himself though.
After all of that, he bounded back on stage with an black acoustic with an white border around the body,
He walked to the middle of the stage and plopped down cross-legged. Tuning the guitar a little before strumming it once, twice, then began the finishing song everyone knows by heart. Good Riddance, Time of Your Life.
“Another turning point. A fork stuck in the road. Time grabs you by the wrist directs you where to go. So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time. It's something unpredictable but in the end is right, I hope you had the time of your life.
So take the photographs and still frames in your mind. Hanging on a shelf in good health and good time. Tattoos and memories and dead skin on trial. For what it's worth, it was worth all the while,
It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right, I hope you had the time of your life.
It's something unpredictable but in the end is right, I hope you had the time of your life.
It's something unpredictable but in the end is right. I hope you had the time of your life.”
Billie looked down as he sung. And when I realized my lips were trembling, that I'd been singing along, whispering along if you will,
Billie looked up grinning. Hopped to his feet and shook his sweaty hair at the crowd. Mike and Tré did the same. Took their bows and leapt from the stage. It's true, I truly did have the time of my life.