Sequel: Dangerously Close
Status: Completed ♥

Sunrise at Midnight

Nicolas Flamel

Why was Defense Against the Dark Arts absolutely impossible?

I asked myself this question as I looked over the parchment we were supposed to write on well-known Dark Arts wizards and witches. I wasn't surprised to find "Lord Voldemort" as one of the first we talked about. That bloody wizard's name was in every corner of the wizarding world.

With Quirrell's constant stuttering, mumbling, and shuffling, it was impossible to keep up. I had only caught the words "dark," "lord," and "destruction." It added up perfectly though, in my mind anyways. What I didn't understand was how everyone but me, with a little effort, could understand every word he said.

Meanwhile, there was me.

Rosalie Lily Potter, the girl who can't understand bloody English.

Professor Quirrell had assigned us to write a three page essay on what we had learned, and have it turned in to him by the end of the lesson. I didn't know how I was going to finish fast enough. Rayne had finished almost ten minutes ago, and she was slouching on the chair, humming and picking at nails.

But I had a reason as to why it was taking me so long. There was a distraction. Everytime my pen touched the parchment it seemed, Quirrell would be staring at me with a glare, and then whisper something barely audible to anyone under his breath. It made my mind clutter.

Was he hiding something?

Does he know Snape told me about his leg?

I shook off the thought of that one. Professor Snape's leg had nothing to do with this.

But maybe the three headed dog did.

I tried to push everything out of my mind, and quickly finished writing. I walked up to Quirrell and handed him the paper. He looked down at it and then eyed me again.

"T-This is e-extremely well w-writt-ten for a th-third year, P-Potter," he stuttered, astonished as he scanned the piece of parchment.

"I know too much about Voldemort, after all, he was the one who killed my parents," I murmured, an edge that was not needed added to my voice,

Professor Quirrell shuddered at the name. "Y-Yes, I-I k-know he d-did."

I eyed at him weirdly as he just stared at me with a nervous expression as if he had said something wrong. I ignored it and walked back to my seat. 

No more thinking, Rose.

I lay my head on the table and closed my eyes, only to be awaken a minute later by the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher's talking. He was talking about how it was important we learn how to protect ourselves from these kind of wizards, and Dark magic.

As if we didn't know that.

The next thing we know, we were being dismissed to go to dinner. I grabbed my textbook and put it away. Walking out of the class, I ran towards Fred, George, and Rayne who were walking together.

"Oi! There she is," Fred exclaimed, throwing an arm around me.

I rolled my eyes at him. "How do you guys even keep up in Professor Quirrell's class? Seriously, I can't even understand a word he says."

"Ah, Rosalie. Obviously not a Ravenclaw," George teased.

I laughed. "I have trouble catching up with him. He stutters pretty much every syllable."

"Don't worry, we all have problems with it - we're just better than you," Rayne stated with a smirk. 

"You wish. I'm like the leader of this Fantastic Four," I said, smirking back.

Fred rolled his eyes. "If anything, I'm the leader," he chirped.

"Or I am," George exclaimed.

I shot them playful glares as we walked into the Great Hall. We took our seats next to a first year boy who, according to his current conversation, was named Seamus. He had a cute little Irish accent and apparently blew stuff up a lot.

Dumbledore walked up to the podium and waved his wand, making the food appear. I licked my lips in hunger and began putting food on my plate.

"Oh god, Rose! I think Ron's rubbing off on you," Fred exclaimed as I piled a ton of the food onto my platter. The aroma the meal was letting off would make anyone go crazy of hunger.

"No! Never, I'm not a pig, no offense to Ron," I said, chuckling. "I'm just so hungry! I felt like I haven't eaten in years."

"Maybe its magic," George added, winking at his joke.

We all burst out laughing at George's punny statement. 

"Maybe."

I began to devour what was on my plate, smiling in delight as the taste lingered in my mouth.

Definitely magic.

Image

"Rosalie, can I tell you something," Harry asked, scratching the top of his head.

"Of course," I answered as if it was a silly question.

"Yeah, but can you not tell anyone? I wanna keep it between me, Ron, Hermione, and you."

"Harry, I'm your sister," I stated more seriously. "You can tell me anything. I'll try not to call you crazy."

"Okay, have you ever heard anything about Nicolas Flamel?"

I furrowed my brows, remembering the name from somewhere. "I think on a Chocolate Frog - why?"

"How about the Philosopher's Stone?"

"Erm, no?"

I was puzzled. What was with all the questions?

"Well, apparently Nicolas Flamel made a stone called the Philosopher's Stone, and it's also known as the Elixir of Life. It gives the one who owns it eternal life," he explained.

I stared at him with a confused expression. "And you're telling me this why?"

"Promise you won't tell," Harry said sternly.

I sighed. "I already promised, Harry."

"After the game, when you ran off after Malfoy, you know, I overheard Snape and Quirrell talking about a Stone and a three headed dog inside the castle. I think the three headed dog is guarding the Stone, and that Snape is after it."

Oh.

I stared at him blankly. "How did you find out all that? And how do you know Snape is after it," I asked, trying to defend the Potions master, although I was more than sure I could believe.

"It all adds up," Harry stated. "I just know."

"Bloody hell, Harry," I exclaimed, laughing. "First you survive a Killing Curse, Then you get into the Gryffindor Quidditch team as a first year, not to mention you caught the Snitch despite your broom losing control, fought off a troll and won, and figured all this stuff out? Bit overpowered for an eleven year old, are we now, Harry?"

He broke out into fists of laughter with me at my statement. After catching my breath, I went back to my serious side.

I sighed. "Harry, I'll keep it between us. But please, don't attempt anything stupid like trying to go after Professor Snape or whatever."

"Blimey, Rose," Ron's voice said behind me. "You're so protective. We won't do anything idiotic."

"Ron, as an older sister it's my bloody job to protect Harry," I said, ruffling Harry's hair. He chuckled.

"But there's still no need to become like a nanny," he teased.

We laughed. "Nanny Potter. Totally, Ron. Totally."

He slapped my arm and headed out towards his annoying prefect brother, Percy.

"How is Percy even a Weasley," I asked to myself out loud. Percy was always so uptight, strict, boring, annoying, and a smartie. It irked me how he could even be related to any of the Weasleys.

"I don't even know," Harry agreed, chuckling.
♠ ♠ ♠
I typed this on the road to Kentucky so it might be a little short, sorry D:
Thanks to my lovely commenters
targaryen.
forbiddensecrets
IWillMakeYouScream
lovelessbird

and for wishing me a great trip. Love you all!