Sequel: Dangerously Close
Status: Completed ♥

Sunrise at Midnight

Diagon Alley

I began coughing as I was swirled around, taken by the fiery green flames. It took everything in me to stop gagging and result in not coughing out a lung from the ashes. I stepped out from the pit and I realized I was in the entrance to Diagon Alley. I sighed, thankful it didn’t take me anywhere else. I began walking.

Working my way down the alley and up towards Gringotts was hard with all the parents and students pushing around, trying to walk through the crowded area. I had probably threatened one or two people who stepped on my foot at one point, but had immediately apologized afterwards.
As I walked in, I tried to ignore the beady eyes and creepy hands of the goblins as they worked, looking up to see who had entered. I walked up to the front of the desk and greeted the goblin behind it.

“I’d like to access my vault,” I stated firmly.

“Do you have your key, Miss Rosalie,” he asked as if he had known me forever.

“As a matter of fact I do!”

I pulled out from my robe pocket a golden key, showing it to the man. He pointed behind me towards the cart and the goblin ready to escort me. I hopped in, smiling at the goblin as the cart began moving on the rails.

“Here we are, vault 687,” the creature in front of me said, taking the key from my hands. Using the key, and tapping it several times on the door, the vault opened up. I grabbed one of the brown bags lying in the vault, ready to make my way back up to the bank.

When I reached the top floor, I thanked the weird-looking goblin who I couldn’t tell the gender of. And with that I scurried out of the Gringotts Bank.

The first thing I needed to do was buy a new quill and some new parchment. I had run out of parchment last year after spending the entire class of History of Magic doodling.

Seriously, who listened in that class anyway?

I was determined to buy double the amount as usual so I can have just enough paper to draw on. I settled on a beautiful green parchment that had a swirly kind of border. I also ended up buying a phoenix feather quill – I couldn’t take my eyes off of the breathtaking orange feather that seemed to shoot up in flames every time you stared. In total it only was a galleon and several sickles so I guess it was worth it.

I walked into Flourish and Blotts, grabbing all the necessary books. The day was dragging on slowly and it seemed like no one I knew from Hogwarts was coming today. I was hoping to see a friend or two. Or in general just any familiar face.

Maybe even a Professor.

But sadly, nothing.

I continued my stroll towards Madam Malkin’s Robes For All Occasions. Although for my age I was rather petite, I had grown out of my second year robes and was in dire need of new ones. When I walked in, I could already feel the tension grow thick and the anger and annoyance bubbling inside of me because right before my eyes was the person I least would have wanted to see.

Lucius Malfoy.

“Ah, well who do we have here,” he said in utter surprise and he turned to see who had joined them in the shop.

Madam Malkin turned her head from her customer who I assumed was no other than this evil man’s son from the evil smirk and blonde hair.

“Lucius Malfoy, what a pleasant surprise," I exclaimed with sarcasm.

“Rosalie Potter,” he let my name escape his mouth.

I shot him a glare warning him he should leave me be, but obviously that wasn’t enough for him.

“Oh but of course! You must meet my son, Draco. I bet you two would make lovely acquaintances as he is also attending Hogwarts this year,” he said, emphasizing the word acquaintance.

It was clear to Lucius he would have been amazed if me and his son had become even close to friends, because it’d be easier for him to get to me later. But then again, I could tell he wouldn't be proud if his only son became friends with what they considered a "blood traitor."

“Like I’d ever be friends with a Malfoy. Cold and cruel, just doesn’t sail my boat,” I snapped, picking at my nails as if bored.

It was the cold hard truth. Everyone knew Malfoys were known for their pureblooded selves. Selfish and cruel, proud to be Voldemort worshippers - as if it was something to be proud of. Greedy, cunning, and evil. There was really no reason I’d like to join them.

“And like I’d ever be friends with a filthy little blood traitor like Potter.”

The words went right through me and before he could finish his sentence I was already standing up from my seat, pointing my wand at him.

“I don't care if I'm underage. Just dare say that again, Malfoy,” I said through gritted teeth, losing my temper.

“Now, now. Settle down. I see it his robe is done.” He slammed down several galleons into Madam Malkin’s hands and pulled his son out of the store.

Bloody bastards.

I apologized to her for having to live through seeing that.

“No, no dear, no worries. I’ve dealt with drama worse than that myself, not just in this store alone,” she said with a smile.

I picked out a black robe and had Madam Malkin fix it up for me. After being fitted in the dress I opened my brown bag, giving her the payment as I made my way out the store with my new robes in hand. I had several galleons on me so I decided to take half of the money and get myself a pet.
As I walked in, I looked around at the animals. There were toads, and beautiful owls, cats of every kind. I was in awe and couldn’t wait to decide on what animal would come home with me. I smiled as I looked around at every little animal. Each one seemed to capture my attention. I observed every animal and narrowed it down to two of them that interested me the most. One was a beautiful brown owl with golden eyes, and the other one was a snow white cat covered in fur and had dark eyes. I decided on an owl, I needed one to send letters anyways.

“How much for that owl,” I asked the man at the register as I pointed to the one that caught my interest.

“Originally 20 galleons, but I’ll tell you what! I’ll give it to you for 16 galleons,” he bargained.

I nodded. “I’ll take the owl with the cage.”

As I handed him the cash, he began talking about the owl and about how it was one of his favorites in the store. He explained to me about all the proper care for it and how the cage came with a bag of owl food. The owl’s gender was a female, which I was quite happy about.

When I walked out of the store I looked towards my new pet owl that was hooting happily in her cage to be let out of the store.

“What to call you,” I muttered at it, smirking.

The owl looked at me and settled down.

“I got it. I’ll call you Addie!”

Addie hooted approvingly in her cage, liking her new given name.

I continued towards the fireplace near the brick walls and grabbed a smidge of floo powder, yelling “The Burrow” as I dropped the powder and was taken away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay, Diagon Alley! Next chapter will be the last chapter in the Burrow, then they're off to Hogwarts! c: I'm excited for it!
Thanks to lovelessbird and targaryen for commenting!
Comment, recommend and subscribe :) It'd mean so much and it helps me know how you guys are liking the story, if you have any ideas, etc.
Love you all!