Sequel: Dangerously Close
Status: Completed ♥

Sunrise at Midnight

First Day

I was awoken by light streaming from the dorm window. I opened my eyes slowly, letting my vision adjust although the sun wasn’t helping much. I let out a yawn and stretched a bit, crawling out of bed. I threw on a black skirt and some tights, along with a grey vest and a Gryffindor tie. I threw on a black robe and pinned the Gryffindor badge on it. I put my hair up in a ponytail after combing out the massive bedhead and ran out the door.

As I walked to the courtyard I still saw kids rushing to the Great Hall, to my great relief. So I wasn’t late. I ran into the Hall, squirming through some students to get through.

“Watch where you’re going, Potter,” a cold, female voice spat behind me.

I rolled my eyes and turned around. “Speaking of the devil.”

I looked up at the girl who was wearing a Slytherin robe. Her straight black hair fell down to her shoulders and her eyes were a menacing, dark grey.

She laughed. “I find that a compliment.”

I rolled my eyes at her. “Piss off, Moreno.” I continued off to the Gryffindor table and took my seat inbetween Hermione and Rayne who were deep in conversation.

“Hey, you interrupted our talk,” Rayne complained.

I giggled. “Shoulda thought about leaving an open spot in the middle of you two.”

Hermione rolled her eyes. “So, how are you feeling, Rosalie? I saw you run out of the Great Hall yesterday, am I allowed to know what happened?”

I shrugged. “I ran off. It wasn’t a big deal.”

I began stuffing my plate with food while both of them looked at me with disbelief. I took a spoonful of eggs and began chewing. After swallowing, I spoke up. “Fine! I was upset.”

Hermione sighed. “Everyone knows you didn’t know your brother was alive. But at least you and him can be happy now right?”

I bit my lip and began stuttering.

“Dumbledore forbid her from telling him yet. He said when the time is right,” my blonde friend blurted out.

I smacked my face with the palm of my hand. “Rayne!”

She laughed. “Sorry!”

Hermione gasped. “That’s not fair for you!”

Rayne shot her hands up in the air. “I know right! I say she bloody tells him either way. It doesn’t matter if he knows or not, it won’t affect anything!”

Hermione shrugged. “I don’t know. I hear Dumbledore is really wise. If he said something about it, I think Rosalie should listen to him.”

Rayne rolled her eyes at her.

I was not talking because I was busy scarfing down food. Judging since I had eaten absolutely nothing last night, I was beyond starving. After finishing their conversation about how unfair it was for me to not be able to tell Harry, Rayne was listening to a blubbering Hermione who was talking about how she was confident about her classes today and that she hoped to learn so much more.
Eventually we had to stop the chat and head to our classes. Me and Rayne were heading towards Defense Against the Dark Arts, the first one of the day.

“Did you know yesterday during dinner Snape kept staring at Harry? It was weird. He had this look of coldness but fright in his face.”

I turned to her with a puzzled look. “Why would Snape give Harry a concerned but frightened stare down? That doesn’t sound like him.”

I sighed. “No. I was just wondering.”

We both continued walking silently and entered the class. Me and Rayne took a seat in the front of the class since all the other desks were taken. The whole class was obviously waiting for the teacher.
Suddenly the door opened and nervous shuffling was heard. I turned back to see a man in robes walking towards the front of the class. He had a purple turban on his head and his expression showed he was nervous.

“I-I’m P-P-Professor Quirr-rell. I’m g-going to b-b-be your Def-fense Against the D-Dark A-Arts teacher,” the professor stuttered. It was almost impossible to understand.

The whole class was looking at each other confused. How were we supposed to keep up with this man?

“T-Today we w-will rev-view about d-defense s-s-spells,” he continued, still stuttering almost every word he said.

I slammed my head on the desk and silently groaned. “You have got to be kidding me,” I mumbled to Rayne.

She nodded her head, agreeing with me and tried to keep up with Professor Quirrell.

The rest of the class was basically trying to understand what the lesson was on. It was practically impossible, I didn't even know what we were learning about. Eventually I ended up dozing off from the class and I didnt pay attention. When the class ended I happily jumped up and ran out of the class. I had Transfiguration next and Rayne had Muggle Studies. Luckily I would see her at Lunch and after Herbology in Potions.

Transfiguration seemed to go by in a blur. We had to turn a mug into a dove which wasn't as hard as I imagined. I struggled the first time and ended up turning it into a parrot instead. But the second time I had it down. Professor McGonagall was staring at me the whole class. Obviously she had not forgotten about yesterday. I nodded my head at her and mouthed, "I promise." At that she seemed to calm a bit.

I started walking towards the Great Hall, ready for Lunch. I entered and sat down across from Fred and next to a first year who was talking in an Irish accent. The seat next to me was empty, and since I didn't see Rayne at the table I was hoping she would arrive any minute now and take the seat.

I searched the table for the boy with the glasses and black shaggy hair and found him three seats down sitting in between Ron and Hermione. I studied his expression as he spoke to Ron. He looked...troubled.

Suddenly, someone's hands touched my shoulders. I jumped, scared, and I heard Fred and George laughing and the girl behind me giggle. She took the seat next to me and stuck my tongue out at her.

"Bloody hell, Rayne," I complained.

She giggled again. "I'm great, aren't I? Now may I ask why you're staring over in that direction," Rayne asked, pointing towards the trio that were deeply involved in their conversation.

"It was Harry, he looked troubled. Do you know what happened," I asked her.

She shook her head. "Sorry, I don't. Probably nothing serious anyways."

I shrugged and ignored it. She was right - maybe it wasn't serious.

Herbology was longer than usual. It seemed to drag on forever. I kind of dazed off - all I remember was Professor Sprout talking about some plant that could eat off your entire head if angered. When the class was over I was the first one out of there. I didn't like Herbology and I never would. Thank Merlin that Potions was next. Snape may hate Gryffindor but he wasn't as bad as everyone claimed him to be.

Well to me, anyways.

I entered the class and took the seat next to George. He greeted me and I smiled.

Snape was nowhere to be seen. But all of a sudden the door loudly opened behind us and Severus walked in, heading towards the front.

"No introduction is required. You all know who I am, I know who you are. Don't disappoint me this year or you will be sorry. Does anyone have any questions before we begin?"

The whole class was silent. No one wanted to say the wrong thing and piss off Professor Snape.

"Alright then. Today we're going to learn about the Draught of the Living Dead. Does anyone know what this Potion does?"

I could feel his eyes on me as I slowly raised my hand. Was I the only one?

"Potter. Speak up."

"It's a potion that puts the drinker into an eternal sleep."

"Correct. Its a potion to be weary of as if drank, is irreversible. You students are to brew the potion. Page 35. Start."

I opened the textbook in front of me, flipping to the page. The whole time I could feel his eyes on mine. I read over it and grabbed the necessary ingredients from the supplies cabinet.

After adding all the ingredients in I began to stir the potion. It was supposed to turn from a pale lilac to a clear color but it wasn't changing. I furrowed my brows in frustration.

"Potter. Did you not read the book," Snape snapped in his cold tone. "You're supposed to crush the Sopophorous bean."

I read over the recipe and slammed my head on the book. "Wow, I'm sorry I made a mistake," I spat.

His eyes widened at my town. "You will not speak to me in that tone, Potter! 10 points from Gryffindor."

I scoffed and began crushing the bean. I threw it in the pot and began stirring it, watching as it finally turned clear. I slammed my head on the desk and let out a sigh of relief. George placed his hand on my back and gave it a pat.

"Relax, it's not unusual for Snape to be an arse."

I nodded into my arms and looked up at him smiling.

Class eventually ended and I was running to dinner. I took a random seat and ate alone. I just wanted to get back to the common room and change, the clothes were beginning to get uncomfortable.

I finished first than anyone and began running out, almost knocking over a second year Hufflepuff who was in the way.

When I made it up to the portrait, I hurriedly spoke, "Caput Draconis."

The portrait swung open and I ran into the dorm room. I threw on a baggy shirt and black sweatpants and walked back down the stairs. I noticed the common room was now full of Gryffindors. I plopped down on the couch by the fireplace.

Someone joined me. I turned to see the bushy-haired Hermione sitting down. I gave her a small smile. "Wotcher, 'Mione."

"Wotcher, Rose."

"So, how were your classes today," I asked her.

She beamed. "They were great! Potions wasn't good though. Professor Snape is rather rude."

"Yeah, he's an arse," I grumbled.

Her eyes widened a bit at me cursing but shrugged it off. "So I think it's time you're introduced to Harry," she began.

I jumped up from my seat. "Oh no no no! It's best I avoid him until he knows."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "No it's not."

I tried to stop her as she got up and began dragging the boy with black hair and blue eyes towards me.

"Harry, I want you to meet someone," Hermione began.

There was no getting out of this now.

"Harry, this is Rosalie. Rosalie, this is Harry Potter," she said, emphasing the last name.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ohhh Hermione!
And Snape! Why do you think he was was being rude to Rosalie for once?
This chapter is the longest chapter I've ever written in my life! Not to mention, I wrote it all on my phone. Which took forever, but I don't care :P So sorry if there are any misspellings or grammar mistakes since I typed it on a phone.
Last chapter got a positive feedback! It made me so happy! Thank you to my lovely commenters
targaryen.
lovelessbird
stephaniek
forbiddensecrets

I love you bunches ♡