Fixated

2.

Nearly two weeks had passed and for the first time in what was apparently a long time, Sherlock Holmes was stumped. He'd tried tracing IP addresses, testing the letters for DNA, matching handwriting, looking at the phone number, he'd even gone to my apartment and searched it; finding out only one thing. I'd been gassed the night I got assaulted. He'd also acquired some photos taken of me candidly around the city that had apparently been posted through the letterbox, but had no leads on those either.
He claimed there was just not enough evidence, shouting often about how it was impossible that this guy had left no trace anywhere. "We're just going to have to wait until he makes a mistake now." He'd tell me, after he'd calmed down a bit from one of his rants.

During my stay thus far, John Watson had been nothing but sweet to me. He was generous, hospitable and always woke me up with a cup of tea or hot chocolate. Whereas all Sherlock had done was blank my existence (yet I was usually in the same room as him ninety percent of the time), pinpoint my every flaw and eat my food I'd bring back from work. Sometimes, I'd even catch him glaring intently at me when he thought I wasn't looking. Yet why could I not stop thinking about him? There was something about him. I couldn't put my finger on it. Be it is dark, thick curls. His piercing blue eyes that seemed to stare through souls. His soft, pale skin. His pure detachment. The fact he came across as a rude arsehole. A mysterious one at that, I just didn't know. I felt a vibe from him that I hadn't felt in a while for anyone, but again, I tried my best not to let it show. I couldn't risk that. Not at all.

I would rather die than open up to a person I wasn't comfortable with, I am about as closed off as a person gets. A lifetime of hedonism and disappointment really takes its toll; I built walls around me tall and thick. I left that life behind; leaving as me the seemingly plain Jane I appeared to have become. The nights of singing at dive bars and snorting line after line off a mirror, the days of travelling aimlessly, running away from responsibilities- they were gone. I was Laura Grey, a waitress with a scarily tidy apartment and no social life. I played the gormless, average Joe pretty well most of the time, it was easier that way. Nobody saw my quirks or kinks. I kept my head down and myself out of trouble. But oh I should've known, trouble would always find me again.

"Your pajama shorts are rather small...it is the middle of January. I mean, it's obvious you're not warm" He raised his eyebrows at my erect nipples, ever so slightly showing through my white shirt John had lent me.
"Sherlock!" John warned, giving him a look. "Stop it."
He'd obviously noticed me blush slightly and he softened his stance the slightest bit and added "I'll turn the heating up."
Sherlock reappeared five minutes later wearing a tie, pushing a cart with three glasses, a cocktail mixer, a small, metal bucket of ice and a selection of a few spirits and fruit juice on it.
"Well, nothing better than a few good cocktails to keep you warm in the winter."
"Sherlock, it's a Monday." John reminded him.
"Mojito Monday." John flashed him another look. 'If looks could kill' I smiled to myself, observing the two of them. They were quite a pair really.
"...Oh right, okay. I guess none of us have commitments tomorrow."
"Too right, John. Now, shall we?" Sherlock grinned as he poured out the drinks.

An hour and a half later and three drinking games later, we were all slightly slurring our words and laughing at things that definitely should not be funny.
"Okay okay, I'm going to run to Mary's" John hiccupped, "I said I'd be there by half ten...”
Sherlock threw his head back and let out a solid laugh, "Oh I'm sure she'll be delighted to see you like this." He stood up and embraced John spontaneously, ruffling his hair as he did so "Hurry back while the night is still young, John!"
John said his goodbyes again and unsteadily stumbled out of the door, leaving Sherlock and I sitting next to each other on the small sofa. He poured out another drink for each of us and failed to come up with rules for another game so he simply proposed, "Whoever downs it first wins."
He won. I finished closely behind him, the burn of vodka had completely vanished now (which was always a bad sign). He let out a burp of epic proportions making us both snigger immaturely.
There was a small silence after, and he turned to look at me. His piercing eyes were doubling up slightly. I found myself not unnerved by his icy stare today, so I looked back at him.
"You frustrate me." Sherlock stated bluntly, a serious expression clouding his face.
"What?" I asked, sticking my neck out and crossing my eyebrows in confusion.
Sherlock kept staring. "I can't read you. I barely know anything about you other than you work at a cafe that severely underpays you, you're a dog person, you're fairly untidy really, you have a secret drug habit and you're closed off as hell."
I let out a small laugh. "You don't need to know about me."
Sherlock swayed and rested his chin in his hand. "I know everything about everyone, it's what I do best. But you, you're so blank. You don't let anything show. Except maybe I've caught a couple of thoughts running through your head, once or twice."
"Oh yeah?" I bit my lip, hoping he didn't start spontaneously reading my mind. "I just shut people off without meaning to, I guess it's a defense."
"Why?" He asked immediately. "I don't like it. You haven't left my mind all week. I don't want it, I don't like it. This is probably why I've been unsuccessful in making progress with your case too." He exclaimed, his voice raising slightly.
I stared at him. Come again?
"It's you. I don't have time to keep guessing if you're thinking of me. I can't tell. This is so...trivial. Get out of my head."

Words failed me again at this point, so I acted on Dutch courage thanks to the spirits in my system, took his cheek in my hand and planted my lips on his. Giving him a slow, slight kiss. I pulled away, glancing at Sherlock whose eyes were still closed momentarily, and added, "Does that answer any of your questions?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay things are getting more interesting now I promise! Please comment etc and thank you for reading!