Status: Finished.

Give Me Envy, Give Me Malice, Give Me Your Attention

Chapter Nineteen

"Brendon?"

Bella stood with wide, teary eyes at the doorway to the room where Brendon Urie sat, engrossed in his own thoughts. He spun around at the unexpected sound of his name, face set in a precautionary snarl, but softened when he saw who it was.

"Bella! Uh, hi."

This was kind of awkward.

He gestured for her to enter the room and she did so, taking a seat in a plush armchair next to him. She twisted her hands together, staring at her fingers. She didn't even know why she had come here. Brendon looked at her with a frown of concentration, and slowly lifted her chin upwards with his fingertips.

"Bella, have you been crying?"

She couldn't speak, so instead she gulped down another fit of tears and nodded, looking at him. He sighed before leaning in and giving her a hug. She clung to his shoulders. She'd missed being able to talk to him.

"It's William," she choked out and sniffed. "He tried to use me."

Brendon pulled back, holding her at an arms length.

"What do you mean?"

"He thought I knew some information about Anna and he tried to make me tell him."

Brendon's eyes flashed with concern. He had originally talked to Bella under Beckett's orders, but a connection had formed between the two.

"How did he try to make you tell him? He didn't hurt you, did he?"

Brendon was loyal to William, but he knew how his leader could get. He just couldn't imagine William ever doing anything like that to Bella. It was so clear that he loved her.

"No," she shook her head. "He was just being seductive."

Brendon couldn't suppress a small shudder. These images weren't necessary! He pulled the upset girl back to him for another hug and held her there, rubbing soothing circles on her back. After a few minutes like this, in calming silence, Brendon spoke.

"If you don't mind me asking, what did he want to know?"

She sniffed again. "He wanted to know where Anna and Ryan disappear to."

Okay. So Ryan was involved in this. Of course he'd be involved; he never left Anna's side. But this just made things even stranger for Brendon. Ryan used to be his best friend. They had agreed to getting turned together so that they could stay best friends forever. They never thought things would change. Oh, but they had. They barely got the chance to speak anymore. Brendon was still loyal to William Beckett. A crack was beginning to show throughout the Dandies, and Ryan was on the other side. The rebellious side.

"Do you know the answer?" he asked after hesitation.

Bella shook her head.

"Anna's become better at hiding things."

"Shh," Brendon started as Bella began to weep quietly. "It'll all be okay, Bell. You'll see."

He entwined his cold fingers with hers and she kept the grip as she shifted to lean her head on his shoulder. They stayed like that for a while, and he absently stroked his friend's hair with his free hand. Of course, the serenity couldn't last forever.

"Urie!" barked an all-too-familiar voice.

Brendon and Bella jumped at the same time and their necks snapped up to see William Beckett standing there, fists clenched and his face in a snarl.

"Woah, William..." Brendon started nervously, standing up and holding his palms out in front of him. "Calm down..."

"Calm down?" Beckett spat. "Why should I calm down? I came to try and find my girlfriend to apologize and instead I find her cuddling up to one of my best friends! Give me one fucking good reason why I should calm down!"

"Relax, William," Bella hissed.

He turned to look at her, surprised at her venomous tone.

"If you do remember," she continued. "Brendon was one of the only friends you allowed me to have. You pissed me off, and I needed to vent to a friend. And Brendon treats me a hell of a lot better than you ever have!"

With that she turned on her heel and stormed out, leaving the two vampires staring at her incredulously.

"Uh..." William started. "I'm sorry about freaking out like that."

"It's okay," Brenodn nodded. Not many people got apologies from William Beckett, but Brendon saw William when he was at his most human moments, so it didn't shock him the way it would have shocked anyone else. "But you've got to watch it, William. You're chasing her away."

He sighed. "I know. I'm sorry. I just... I'm afraid I'm going to lose her."

"Well if you keep this up, you will."

William nodded, and after a few moment's silence he spoke again.

"Brendon, I want you to do something for me."

"Yes?"

"Find out where they go."

Brendon gulped. He didn't doubt that he'd be able to penetrate Ryan's mind and find out, but he knew that he would be a traitor here. He'd either end up betraying his leader or betraying his best friend. Would he be able to choose?

***

At around five in the morning, Anna and Ryan had gotten back from another visit to the warehouse and were tiredly lying in her bed. Their trips had become more frequent, and Chiz and Travis had already inquired as to where they went. They made up some excuse about out-of-the-city hunting. They were both exhausted, especially Anna after all those needles, but Patrick had injected her with something that wouldn't wear off for a few days and until then the substance disabled her from sleeping. Ryan was determined not to fall asleep if she couldn't, so they both just lay there in the dark, talking in whispers to try and keep Ryan awake. Anna wanted him to go to sleep, but he'd refused and continued to make conversation. Everything was relatively peaceful, until Anna's bedroom door was suddenly swung open and a figure rushed inside and locked the door. Anna and Ryan sat up suddenly, startled.

"Bella?" Anna squinted, trying to make out the shape in the dark.

"Yeah it's me," Bella whispered back, switching on the chandelier light overhead and turning to face the two with her hands on her hips.

Anna blinked. "Uh... can we help you?"

"Well for starters you could tell me where you two disappear to so often. William's going crazy! He'll stop at nothing to find out what's up with you guys, and god only knows what he'd do if it displeases him!"

Anna and Ryan exchanged worried glances.

"It's going to displease him, isn't it?" Bella guessed, analysing their looks.

"You can't tell him," Ryan begged quietly.

Bella took a seat on the bed next to Anna.

"Of course I won't tell him," she said. "You can trust me. But you need to let me know what's going on. I can't protect you otherwise."

Anna inhaled deeply and looked at Ryan, who gave her permission with his eyes to tell the truth.

"We're just seeing some people. They're trying to break the... the bond I have with Beckett."

"So they know about everything," Bella concluded, more for her own benefit. "I assume they're some other vampire clan?"

"Not exactly..." Ryan trailed off.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, one of them is a vampire..." Anna tried, but was interrupted by Bella's sharp intake of breath.

"No!"

Bella looked at Ryan for confirmation to her thoughts. He nodded, a solemn look on his face.

"Are you kidding me?!" Bella almost yelled, standing up again.

"Calm down, Bella," Anna said, standing up to match her best friend.

"How am I supposed to calm down?!" she screeched. "You're seeing Fall Out Boy! The traitors! The hunters! They're William's worst enemies! If he finds out he's going to kill you!"

Bella felt the blood rush to her head and quickly took a seat to settle herself, as Anna bit back an unnecessary comment on how they were technically already dead.

"What?" Anna asked.

"Didn't you tell her, Ryan? Did she even know what a risk this was?"

"Of course I knew it was a risk," Anna snapped. "I'm not a child. But Beckett hates me enough as it is, and I am willing to do anything if it means ending this mess."

Bella shook her head and looked at her two friends sadly.

"You're not going to tell anyone, are you?" Ryan panicked.

"Of course not," Bella answered, standing up and beginning to walk to the door. "I just hope you know what you're doing."

On that note, she swept out of the room, leaving a slightly doubting silence in her wake.