Stay With Me

Chapter Four - Early Last Spring

I stood on the edge of the cliff. Looking below I could see the water hit the rock, the waves beating it then retreating. That's where I wanted to be. Right there, right now.
My body shook as I took a breath, and a tear fell out. Turning, I looked over my shoulder to the road behind me, but more importantly to the tree.
You could still see the marks of a little chevy coming into contact with the wood. You could see the marks from the car trying to swerve a moment too late.
Hell, if I tried hard enough I could even hear the sound.
I turned my back back to the road and looked back at the water.
That girl, I thought.. that poor poor girl.
I closed my eyes and began to take the step.
"KATIA." A voice screeched.
My eyes flew open in fear, and I fell back. Back onto solid, safe ground.
I looked around for her. I knew that voice. Finn stood by the tree, looking at me in utter terror. She rushed to my side.
"You weren't home." She whimpered. "I came out to find you.." she looked down at my arms, at all the fresh new lines. "Why Katia.. oh, love why."
"I killed a girl," I whispered. "I killed another person, Finn. I don't want to live anymore. I don't deserve to."