A Tale From My So-called Life

four

I placed my tray down on the table with enough force to make some of the reheated chili from yesterday spill onto the table.
Jordan looked up at me with a what-the-hell’s-wrong look. I responded with a guilty sideways glance.
“It’s Kevin, isn’t it.” It wasn’t a question because she knew me better than anyone in this hell hole of a school.
“He gave me a note this morning and I couldn’t help but think back on the last time I got a note from him. I mean come on; he’s only given me a total of three since we met last year,” I said.
“What did it say?”
“He asked me to basically go back out with him and ruin all the work I’ve made on forgetting how strongly I feel about him. I’m not sure what to do, though. I have Kyle now, but seriously, how long is that going to last when we both know that we make one hell of an awkward pair. Plus the fact that he told me two days before my friend Kaylee hooked us up that he likes someone named Julee that used to go to our school. I was even supposed to help him get some connections with her from my friend Tammy, whom just happens to hang out with her every weekend. Also, Kyle hurt me so bad… You know about my trust issues! I need serious help.”
Jordan swept her hand through her shiny, black hair as her perfect and pale nose and forehead acquired creases from thinking.
“All I can say,” she said,” is to talk to Kevin or reply to the note in private. And you should really consider talking to Kyle about Julee. It’s not right to keep him from someone he really likes when you promised him you’d let him get an early chance with Julee before he officially sees her next year in high school. Get her number or a picture or a number to show you really mean it and that you aren’t just trying to get rid of him.”
I looked up and saw something, or someone, that broke my already tattered heart all over again. Cloe, the slut who tried to steal Kevin from me when he was mine, had her disgustingly boney body hanging onto Kevin as if her meaningless life depended on it.