Status: active.

Hesitate

one.

It’s a snowy December afternoon in a quiet New York town. Daylight peeks through the living room curtains and settles over the presence of two best friends.

Lydia’s pastel yellow headphones blast an old Pink Floyd tune as she rereads the Great Gatsby for the seventh time. Dylan’s head leans against Lydia’s stomach as he mindlessly looks over lines out of a new movie script, subconsciously tapping his finger against the paper on time with the muffled beat of the tune. Lydia hums her favorite part. The corners of Dylan’s mouth turn up for a moment, Lydia catches him.

“Whatcha smilin’ for O’brien?” Dylan looks up at her, she moves the headphones from her ears.

“I’m smilin’ for you and that song, Anson.”

Lydia smiled and turned her eyes back to the Great Gatsby. Myrtle had just gotten ran over and Daisy was still driving. It made Lydia roll her eyes every time she read that part. Right when she rolled her eyes, Dylan chuckled softly, then turned his eyes back to the movie script. The script contained a lot of love in it, a lot of kisses, hugs, flirtatious pick-up lines and a heck of a lot of unrealistic super romantic stuff that never happens in real life.

“This whole love thing is really weird,” Dylan commented, his voice soft.

“What do you mean?” Lydia questioned, her eyes stayed on the page of her book. Her fingers found their way into Dylan’s messy hair, twirling and pushing the mess around even more.

“In this script, everything’s all fluffy. In real life shit like this never happens,” he mumbled.

“People like to write and think about love like it’s perfect and nothing bad ever happens. Everyone knows that’s bullshit though.”

“Then why do people act like it’s perfect in books and movies?” Lydia shrugged, she stopped playing in Dylan’s hair.

“I guess they just wanna make themselves feel better because real life love fucked them over.”
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm currently on a six day weekend because of mlk jr day + snow days so i decided to start a new story. so bam, here it is.