Status: Updating Regularly.

Us Against the World.

Fifteen : Melanie

“Take care,” I said, hugging Quinn tightly and holding on for a few more seconds longer before pulling away. I gave a hug to Louis too, briefer, with a smile on my face. “Take care of Quinn,” I spoke softly so that only Louis could hear. He nodded, squeezed me a little and broke off the embrace with a smile on his face.

“Don’t worry, I will,” he replied, giving Quinn a meaningful look. I was glad that they had finally settled their issues. Although, deep inside, I was a bit worried about Rory. This was Rory we’re talking about. I hoped everything worked out fine for both of my best friends.

I had to go straight to my cousin’s wedding that will be held at a town about four hours’ drive from Quinn’s mom’s place. Louis decided that he would stay with Quinn and her mother for two more days while the others had already went back to their respective homes.

Harry helped me to load all my things into the trunk of my car. He had insisted that we took his Land Rover because according to him, my mini cooper was too small. But I flat out refused. There’s no way I was going to the mansion where Andy’s future husband’s family vacation home was located. All the immediate family, including myself would be staying there as there were enough room for everyone, including Harry. My family was nosy enough about Harry coming along with me to the wedding. I wouldn’t give them even more reason to be weird about everything by showing up in that flashing car. “Like I said, why don’t we just take my car?” he asked in a frustrated tone as he tried to stuff his own luggage into the small trunk of my mini cooper. I rolled my eyes at him.

“And like I said, we’re taking my car or you stay here with Louis and Quinn. You pick,” I snapped, pushing him aside and took out his luggage. I opened the back door and just shoved the luggage into the car carelessly as Harry watched in horror. Louis laughed at us as Quinn hid her face against Louis’ shoulder, stifling her own giggle. Harry huffed, bending into the car, rearranging his luggage properly as I snapped the trunk shut. Harry shook his head. “Me!” he exclaimed as I just shot him a questioning look. He ran his fingers through his curls. “How can you let your car gets so messy?” he questioned, picking up a pair of shoes from the floor of the car. Then, he shook his head again, his curls bouncing lightly with the movement. I snatched the shoes from him and threw them back into the car, not really caring where it landed. “Mel!”

“What?” I was quickly getting irritated. He wouldn’t stop complaining about the condition of my car for the past few hours. I knew my car wasn’t the cleanest but hey, at least it’s still in good condition. He was just trying to pick on anything to use as an excuse to take his car, which, I wouldn’t ever agree on. He could sulk and complain. There’s no way I was going to give in.

“You two act like old married couple,” Louis commented with a snicker, throwing his arm casually around Quinn. I was tempted to give him the middle finger but I knew he was just trying to taunt me so I ignored him and shut the door.

Without saying anything, I got into the driver’s seat and ignited the engine. From the side mirror, I watched Harry hugged Quinn and Louis briefly. Harry then got into the passenger’s seat, trying to fit his long limbs into the small space, grumbling inaudible words. Harry didn’t even get to close the door before I purposely released my foot from the brake pedal and let the car moved a little, much to his surprise. He let out a loud yelped as he quickly shut the door, his legs folded awkwardly against the dashboard of the car. I pressed the brake, laughing loudly as he scoffed, his body hunching slightly as he was too tall. Shaking my head, I waved to Louis and Quinn and began to drive out of the lot.

The ride was in silent for about ten minutes before Harry began fiddling with the button of the radio. He frowned when no sound came out. “The radio is broken. I haven’t got the time to repair it yet,” I stated, turning at the junction without giving a signal and got a honk from the car behind me but I didn’t acknowledge it as Harry frown. He squirmed a bit in his seat, reaching his hand behind him and his frown deepen when he lifted up a paper folder from under him. I looked at him briefly, took the folder from his hand and just threw it to the back without a care. “God, Mel! I never thought you’re so messy,” he complained, shaking his head. “And you’re way over the speed limit.”

“Well, I never thought that you’re such a nag,” I retorted back with a roll of my eyes, not slowing the car. In fact, just to spite him, I stepped on the pedal, accelerating the car faster. The car in front of me was too slow so I got into the lane of the opposite traffic, and sped up, passing the car.

“Mel!” Harry shouted as a car came from the opposite side. I ignored him, swiftly swerving the car back into the right lane, receiving a long honk from the oncoming car that drove passed us, the driver giving me a dirty look as I pointedly ignored everything including the terrified stare Harry was giving me. “Stop the car,” he said.

“What?”

“Stop the car. Pull over,” he repeated, his tone sterner this time. He’d never used that tone on me and to be perfectly honest, I was a bit scared. The stare he was giving me was sharp and it looked as if he wanted to eat me out alive. Turning my blinker, I slowly pulled the car by the roadside and stopped, letting the engine run idle. “Now, get out.” He unbuckled his seatbelt and opened his side of the door, getting out of the car. I thought of being stubborn and just stayed where I was but then I had never seen him look so serious before. So quietly, I just got out and we exchanged places, him in the driver’s seat and me as the passenger. “Seatbelt,” he said curtly. I obliged, putting the seatbelt on as he did the same.

Then, Harry started driving. I let the silent grew between us and it felt like there was a huge elephant sitting in the middle of the small car. Harry tried to initiate small talks but I didn’t respond. Instead, I crossed my arms in front of my chest and turned to face the window, ignoring him the whole duration of the ride. When we finally arrived, I didn’t say anything and just got out of the car, slamming the door shut, making the car shook with the force.

We went into the mansion and was immediately greeted with an enthusiastic Andy. She pulled me into a tight hug, gushing about how much she missed me. “You didn’t even call!” she said, pulling off and examined me from head to toe. She sighed before she turned to look at Harry. “And this is…?” she asked, her eyebrows rising. It wasn’t surprising that she didn’t know of him. Andy wasn’t the sort of person that actually listen to music or follow the entertainment industry.

“Hi, I’m Harry,” Harry introduced himself with that smile and showing off those dimples and for a few moments, I forgot that I was actually mad at him. “I’m Mel’s…” he trailed off and looked at me for confirmation as I frowned. Why did he have to hesitate for?

“He’s Louis’ band mate and a friend,” I said but I didn’t miss the way his shoulders drop and a tiny frown forming on his face. But it disappeared as soon as it came out and he smiled again. So I figured that I was probably just imagining things. Andy called for the butler and asked him to take us to our room.

“I’m sorry. I totally miscounted and there’s not enough room. You two have to share. Is that alright?” Andy asked, her tone apologetic. Harry and I stared at each other for a few moments, both not saying anything. Sharing a room with Harry? Surely nothing was going wrong, right? The butler took us up the spiral stairways to the second floor. The mansion was enormous. Andy had really caught a big fish. But I knew her. She married him not because of money.

“Here’s your room,” the butler said, bowing slightly before walking away. Harry and I once again stared at each other, daring one another to make the first move. Hoisting my knapsack on my shoulder, I opened the door and took tentative steps into the big room. The room was decorated from wall to wall with dark maroon carpeting. The wallpaper was simple yet elegant and there was a big window overlooking the garden and a sliding door leading to a small balcony. There was a king-sized four-poster bed in the middle of the room and a couch at the corner, right opposite of a plasma TV set. The room was luxurious.

“I call dibs for the bed!” I exclaimed, running towards the bed and jumping on it excitedly, the tension from the drive dissipating. Harry scratched his head lightly, turning his ridiculous headscarf askew.

“And I have to sleep on the couch?” he asked, staring at the couch with dread filling his eyes. I just nodded my head, beaming from ear to ear. Oh… this was the best revenge ever! Harry let out a sigh and put down his luggage carefully, slowly inspecting the room. He was moving about, opening and closing the large wardrobe. Walking into the walk-in closet. Checking out the bathroom. And finally, opening the large window and let the cool breeze to enter the room.

“You like the room?” A voice asked and when we turned to the door, we saw Andy standing by the doorway with a maid. She entered the room. “So, Mel, for tonight’s rehearsal dinner, you’ll need to dress up really nicely. I wanna show off my favourite cousin to everyone,” she said, sitting on the bed next to me. Harry just watched the two of us with a fond smile on his face as he leaned against the wall.

“Sure, let me pick up my best dress from the dry cleaner,” I said dryly, rolling my eyes. Andy giggled and slapped my arm playfully.

“I know you’d say that, honey. And that’s why I already bought you a dress.” She then called for the maid who only now I realized was carrying a hanger with a turquoise dress still wrapped in plastic. My eyes widened as I got up from the bed.

“Oh… no! I’m not wearing that! Andy you know that…”

“Oh! Stop being dramatic. You’ll look great in it, right, Harry?” She sent Harry a teasing look as Harry looked down, smiling shyly and nodded.

“Yeah… sure,” he replied, shooting me a look that I just didn’t care to comprehend at the moment.

“And I also have the perfect shoes to go with the dress. I’ll ask someone to do your make-up and hair. Gosh! You really need to stop with the buns already.” She got up as the maid laid the dress on the couch and I stared at the piece of clothing with vengeance. “And your family will arrive in a couple of hours. Dinner starts at eight. Get ready.” With that said, Andy left the room with the maid, closing the door behind them. Harry pushed himself from the wall and picked up the dress from the couch. He then looked at me, a smirk adorning his face. I just grunted dramatically and threw myself onto the bed, covering my face with my palms.