Sequel: Over Again

More Than This

1

I sat in the airport, a coffee in hand, waiting for the next plane to London. I nervously bounced my leg up and down, thinking about the events hours earlier that led up to me arriving at the airport in the first place.

I ran out of the apartment, running as fast as my feet could take me away from there before I stopped, realizing I had nowhere to go, no one to turn to. I was running away from where I would normally go, and my sister, my best friend, was halfway across the world in London. An idea sprung into my head, probably not a good one, but it didn’t matter. I stopped running, wiped the tears from my eyes, and dialed her familiar number.

“B?” Her voice sounded as if I just woke her up, and I mentally slapped myself for forgetting the time difference. “It’s like 3 a.m., B. Are you okay?” I bit my lip to try to keep my tears in, as I heard a male voice in the background. I instantly felt even worse, realizing her boyfriend was there and I was intruding on their time together.

“B, if you don’t answer me in two seconds-“

“I’m sorry, I just…” My voice broke as I trailed off, biting my lip, wiping at the tears.

“Oh, honey.” My older sister soothed. “What happened?”

“Nothing. I just, I need to ask you something.” I said, hoping she wouldn’t be stubborn. She sighed audibly, and I knew she wasn’t buying that nothing happened. “Listen, I just… Can I come there?”

“Come here? To London?” My sister asked.

“Please? I miss you.” I said. “And I need out of here.” I added the last part at a lower volume.

“Sure. When do you want to come?” She asked.

“Uhm. Right now?” I asked hopefully. “I can walk to the airport from where I’m standing.”

“Right now?” She asked in disbelief. “B, what the hell are you running from?”

“It’s fine, I’ll just go and let you sleep.” I muttered. She sighed again, loudly.

“I’ll pick you up when you land.” She said, finally. Despite my horrible night, I smiled.


I chipped at my nail polish while waiting for them to call my flight name so I could board my flight. I was nervous, as I had never even been out of the United States, and here I was, flying to another country to avoid my problems. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes, before my phone started ringing in my pocket. I quickly pulled it out ad answered it.

“Just checking to see when you board.” My sister said, in place of a greeting. In the background, I heard a lot of noise, it sounded like men yelling.

“Jesus Christ, Soph, where are you?” I looked at the board to see my flight would be leaving soon. “I should be boarding in 5 minutes.”

“I’m at my house, silly. Listen, B, my boyfriend and some of his… friends… may be coming with me to get you later. They follow me around like puppies when they’re home.”

I laughed, but nodded. This would be perfect. There would be a distraction for the car ride home and I wouldn’t have to answer any of my sister’s nagging questions.

“Okay. I can’t wait to meet them.”

“Oh, I know you can’t.” With that, my sister hung up.

I was confused by that comment, but had no time to think before they were calling for me to board my flight to see my sister and meet her friends.