Christie Road

I Cannot Call This Sane

"Why did you stop?" Lani whispered, her face still soft with passion.

"Lani, I think maybe we do need to talk." His hands on her shoulders pushed gently away, and she sat back on her heels, a wounded expression clouding her face.

"I don't think I'm going to like where this is going, am I?" she asked.

Billie shook his head slowly, sadly. "Probably not. Look, I'll admit it--I am so attracted to you it's hard for me to think straight. You're a beautiful girl, and kissing you makes me forget everything my common sense tells me. But you and I both know that's not enough to call it love." He looked down at her, trying to soften the words that had to be said, but there was no way to spare her the pain.

"You could have fooled me a minute ago." Her face was so trusting, but there was an undercurrent of trouble in her voice, like a layer of ice over frigid water.

"I never said anything about love, baby, you know that." He hated feeling as if he were being pulled slowly into some invisible spider web, tangling himself hopelessly with his words.

"Billie, sometimes it's not what you say. And when you kissed me, you told me everything I need to know. What we have is so special--why are you so afraid of accepting it?" Her hands were sliding up his biceps to his shoulders, and she was moving slowly closer to him again. Her eyelids fluttered, then closed, and she pressed her mouth to his once more.

His mind was a chaotic tangle of confusion. There was something he urgently needed to tell her, something that he should break this kiss to say, but somehow he couldn't pull his lips away from hers. His fingers trailed lightly over the curve of her shoulder, down the slope of her back, and flattened against her waist to pull her tight against him. The soft sigh that escaped her mouth made him growl deep in his throat, made him reach down to lift her into his lap, but he couldn't seem to get close enough to her.

When he stood, her body rose with his, her tanned legs wrapped snug around his waist, her slender arms circling his neck, and he laid her gently down on the couch where she had found him. Their breathing came rough and rapid, and there was no time for words anymore. Brushing aside the shining golden hair that fell across her chest, he moved his fingers over her shoulder, down the ridge of her collarbone, and found the topmost buttons of her blouse, deftly opening them with one hand. The other slid beneath the small of her back, lifting her to arch against him so that he could taste the honey skin of her throat.

She gasped as his teeth grazed the tender spot under her jaw, and writhed underneath him. Breath as hot as desert wind burned against her skin as he nuzzled his mouth there, suckling the pulse that pounded fiercely under his lips. Pulling aside the satin cup of her bra, he cupped her soft flesh, feeling her grow firm under his touch.

All thought was gone, all sense of right and wrong, and as their clothes fell to the floor like autumn leaves around them, he could only hear the rushing of blood in his ears. He craved her body in every cell, every nerve, every fiber of his being, and when he lowered himself onto her, feeling her warmth engulf him, he was helpless to hold back the cry of ecstasy that swept through him like a magnificent fire.

Her nails dug lightly into his muscled back, and she matched every movement of his lean body. And even when they shuddered together in blissful release, her eyes never left his face.

He sank limply against her, exhausted and spent, and laid his head on the soft swell of her breasts, panting for breath. Her fingers tangled through his hair, her nails lightly scratching his scalp and sending goosebumps down his arms.

"Billie, I don't care what you say. I love you, and I know you love me. And I'm not leaving you alone again, no matter how long you're on the road. I'll come with you wherever you go."

When he closed his eyes and groaned softly, she wrapped her arms around his back. "I know, baby. It's going to be perfect."