Seeing Double

athletic & clumsy

♥ The Athletic One ♥

Olivia hadn’t been this close to Harry since the night they had slept together, and she was definitely feeling it. Her heart was racing and her palms were sweaty. She wasn’t sure she’d even be able to hold the gun.

“Alright, I’ve got a plan,” Harry said, motioning for Niall and Olivia to huddle in while he whispered. “Liv and I will stay back and be the cover. Niall, you try to get to their base and take them from the back.”

Olivia ignored the sexual innuendo in Harry’s sentence and nodded her head gently, hands shaking as she took the safety off her gun. Each of the teams were sent to opposite ends of the field. Olivia had Harry and Niall each standing at her sides, and she really, really wished she could be the one heading out into open fire. It seemed a lot safer than staying behind with Harry.

When the gun sounded off, Niall ran forward immediately, ducking behind abandoned cars and trees as he tried to make his way across the field. Olivia could see Brennan in the distance shooting blindly, and she couldn’t decide which of them was in a worse position, though she assumed it was herself.

“You think we’ve got the base covered?” Harry asked, looking at Olivia as he took the safety off of his own gun.

Olivia said nothing, only nodded, trying to keep conversation with Harry to a minimum. There was a long pause with just the two of them hiding in the base while gunfire rang out all around them, but it didn’t take long for Harry to speak again.

“You’re awfully quiet,” Harry said as he took another step closer to Olivia and peeked through one of the holes in the fort.

“Sorry,” she said quickly. “Not a lot to say, I guess.”

She hoped he would leave it at that, but of course, he didn’t.

“Did you know this is the first time we’ve been alone since you got here?”

“I did.” Olivia nodded her head, because she definitely, definitely did. It was why her hands were shaking so badly and the reason she wouldn’t have been able to make a shot even if she needed to. Brennan would have been better off than she was at that moment.

“I hope we get a lot of moments like this.”

Olivia turned her head to look at Harry, which she really, really, shouldn’t have done, because he was smiling at her softly and there was a small twinkle in his eye. Shit.

Before Olivia had to even begin thinking about saying something back, a shot rang out and hit the wood directly in front of them. Olivia had never been so happy to be almost shot at in her entire life.

“Get down,” she said quickly, kneeling so she was resting the weight of her body on her toes and was ducking forward.

“Dammit,” Harry chuckled, smiling at Olivia as he pressed his back against the wood. “You go right and I’ll go left.”

Olivia nodded her head and followed Harry’s orders, because she really needed to get away from him and the sweet look in his eyes. He truly was hypnotic.

Keeping her feet flat on the ground, Olivia took a few slow steps forward with her gun pointed in front of her, ready to splatter paint on whoever she came in contact with. Even if she managed to get shot in the chest, it would be a lot better than having to continue hiding out alone with Harry.

When she turned the corner, she nearly ran straight into Liam, and remembering the rules of paintball, she quickly shouted ‘got you’ before he could do the same, and he held his arms up in defeat while he smiled.

“Damn, you’re good,” Liam chuckled while Harry rounded the corner, smiling at them both.

“I told you she was the best,” Harry said, wrapping his arm around Olivia while he smirked at Liam. “Now, you’re dead. Get out of here.”

Olivia wanted to beg Liam not to leave, especially now that Harry had his arm hung over her shoulder, but she couldn’t think of any viable excuses before Liam turned the corner and began walking out of the field with his arms in the area.

“Only three left,” Harry said, turning to look at Olivia as soon as Louis was gone. He still had his arm on her shoulder, and he was so close that Olivia was sure if she turned her head that their lips would be touching. “I wonder how Louis is doing out there?”

“Better than Brennan, I’m sure.” Olivia forced herself to smile back, though it really wasn’t that hard when a boy like Harry was smiling at you.

“Liv, can I ask you something?”

Olivia’s heart was racing at a completely unhealthy pace, because the last time that Harry had asked her a question, he was asking if he could kiss her. And once they started kissing, they didn’t stop.

“Sure, go ahead,” Olivia said, though that was the last thing she wanted. She was lucky the words even came out at all.

“Do you –”

“Got you both!” Louis shouted, effectively cutting off whatever Harry was going to say. “Now Niall’s your team’s only hope.”

“Oh, fuck off, Lou,” Harry laughed, shaking his head while he rolled his eyes at his friend. He turned to Olivia with a bit of regret on his face, most likely because he didn’t get to ask whatever it was that was eating away at him. Though Olivia was thankful for the excuse not to be alone with Harry anymore, she couldn’t help the curiosity that had her dying to know what he was going to ask.

♥ The Clumsy One ♥

Brennan sat behind a bush, listening for anyone coming near. She knew that even though she was being alert, if someone found her, she would be screwed. She was horrible at anything physical and it was now confirmed that she was a horrible shot.

She heard something and turned to point her gun at the sound to see she had her gun pointed at Zayn.

"Dammit, sorry," she half whispered as he came to sit next to her.

Zayn smiled and lowered her gun with his hand. "No worries, Bren."

"Did you just call me Bren?" she asked with a small smile. No one ever called her Bren besides Olivia but she liked that he called her that.

Zayn smiled sheepishly. "I guess I did. Is that okay?"

"It's fine. It's just no one has ever called me that besides Liv."

Zayn's smile grew as Brennan spoke and her face reddened a bit at the look of perfection.

"Well, then I feel special." He flashed a smiled and before she could speak, they heard noise close by.

Brennan bit her lip as she turned to listen before they heard Louis get Niall.

"Guys, the game is over no thanks to you two," he shouted and Brennan stood up.

"I tried to get a few shots in but either I don't know how to work this thing or it's jammed," Brennan said as Louis walked over.

Zayn sat his gun down and smiled. "You flicked the safety on, Bren. You can't shoot with it on."

Brennan followed his finger and saw the safety had been turned back on. She reached to it and flicked it off. "So if this is off and I pull the trigger then-" she was cut off by her gun firing and had managed to hit Zayn's crotch.

"Fucking hell!" he said as Louis almost fell to the ground with laughter.

"Oh my gosh! Dammit, I'm so sorry," she said trying to suppress a laugh as he was there in pain. "Sorry, I have a tendency to laugh when bad things happen."

Zayn wavered a hand, in too much pain to stand up, falling to his knees. "No no, it's cool. Let's go get cleaned up, shall we?" he said in a breathless tone.

Brennan nodded and helped him up, shooting Louis a look to help her. Louis kept laughing but nodded and helped get Zayn back to the main building.

When the trio got back to the main building, the others had already went into the dressing rooms. Brennan told Louis to go ahead and that she had Zayn. She sat Zayn in one of the chairs nearby before excusing herself to get ice.

She came back with a small bag of ice and handed it to Zayn who took it with a small smile.

"I'm still really really really really sorry for shooting you," she said and he shook his head.

"I'm going to live, Bren. It was an accident. A painful but honest accident," Zayn said with a smile and then chuckled a bit. "Besides, I think it made Louis's day. The wanker is probably in there making jokes about it to the guys right now."

Brennan gave him a small smile. "I always knew I was a clutz though. Olivia was always the more athletic and outgoing. I was always quiet and would waste away in my room with you guitar."

Zayn smiled. "You play guitar?"

"A little but I'm not very good. I taught myself how to play."

Zayn smiled and looked at her as she turned the other direction. "What's this faint white scar by your hairline?"

Brennan immediately moved her hand to the scar and turned to him slightly. "I was in a car accident when I was fifteen. It's not something I'm open to showing so, I usually hide it with my hair."

"But why?"

She looked at him with a nervous glance. "Because it makes me different"

Zayn touched the white scar lightly and smiled. "It makes you special, a survivor of something tragic. It's something you don't share with Olivia and you should take pride in that."

Olivia opened her mouth to speak before being cut off by the noise of all the other guys and Olivia entering the room.

The guys took in the sight of Zayn and doubled over with laughter.

"Oh, Louis I thought you were joking!" Harry said between fits of laughter referring to Zayn's current "state".

"Oh, bugger off, Haz." Zayn retorted, looking to Brennan who had managed to turn as red as her hair.

He lightly squeezed her hand and leaned to whisper in her ear. "Don't let them bother you, Bren. Now let's get changed so we can go, yeah?"

Brennan nodded and helped up Zayn before going in the dressing room to put on her sweats and a tshirt. She turned to the mirror and noticed the faint scar that Zayn pointed out. She always looked at it as an imperfection but now it was one of the most beautiful things she had ever seen and all it took was for someone to tell her that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh oh, looks like Olivia might have gotten herself into a mess of trouble.
Hopefully she can handle herself!

Thanks so much for reading!
We'd love to know your thoughts(:

♥ Katie ♥