Sequel: Changing Sides
Status: Finished

Behind Enemy Lines

Mind Over Matter

All I heard was the sound of raindrops pelting against the outside of the building as I sat in the waiting room. I considered going back into the exam room to see if the sudden silence had been caused by some kind of complication, but chose not to, fearing that 'complication' could have resulted in, well, something I didn't want to think about.

My worries were replaced by others as I heard Isaac yelling, his voice frantic. A moment later, the little door in the divider separating the waiting room from the other parts of the office was pushed open. I looked up to see Stiles.

"Couldn't watch either?" I asked, and he nodded.

"It's creepy as hell. The storm and faulty lighting don't really help." He told me, taking a seat in another one of the padded wooden chairs that every waiting room seems to have. "Plus, it's all werewolf stuff, and I'm not a werewolf, so I can't really help."

"So you're human?"

"Yeah. You?"

"Werewolf, as of a week ago."

"Makes sense. I'm pretty sure I'm the only non-werewolf Derek knows." Stiles laughed to himself. "You a part of his little pack army?"

"Unfortunately, yes."

"Wow, someone else who doesn't think the bite's 'a gift'." He made air quotes as he said the last two words.

"I, uh, I'm a hunter. Or, was, I guess."

"Shouldn't you, like, be dead then?" He asked. "Not-not that I want you to be dead, because you're hot and you're not a bitch like Erica. At least I don't think you are. I don't know you well enough to make that decision."

I laughed a little. "Yeah, death was kinda the plan. Isaac used some sob story about someone you guys go to school with's mom to talk me out of it."

More panicked cries came from the back room. This time Isaac's voice was joined by Derek and the vet, then Scott joined in, yelling at Derek. I jumped up and ran into the room, Stiles following behind.

"I SAW IT!" Isaac lurched upright at the same time I made it into the room. "I saw the name." Derek and Scott helped Isaac out of the tub, handing him a towel. "It's, uh, Beacon Hills First National Bank. It's, um, it's an abandoned bank and they um...um...they're keeping them locked inside, inside the vault."

□☾□

"Can we make this fast? That Stilinski kid is downstairs and I don't want him messing anything up." Peter said, walking into the room Isaac and I were in. I sat on the bed in jeans and a plain white t-shirt , Isaac standing next to me and a pile of shackles and chains in front of me. Peter picked something up from the pile, attaching one end of it to the headboard behind me and the other to my right wrist. He continued to do this until I was completely restrained, then paused as his noticed my necklace. "What's this?"

"Uh, family necklace. I got it when I started my training. Why?"

"What's the stone?"

"Hecatolite. Moonstone."

"Oh, shit." Peter said to himself. Okay, you sure you don't need anything?" he asked Isaac, holding up the extra chains.

"I'm good, and you're downstairs if I'm not."

"Good luck."

□☾□

The moonlight shone through the bedroom window. I looked up at Isaac, who had made himself comfortable at the end of what had become my bed. His eyes were now gold, like all betas' eyes are when shifted. Next thing I knew, the instinct kicked in. It was unbearable. I found against the chains, hoping I could escape if I tried hard enough. I gritted my teeth, now more like fangs. I couldn't do this. Not every full moon, every month.

"I can't do it anymore. Kill me. I don't know how you haven't shifted yet but give into the damn instinct and kill me[/]."

Isaac reached towards me, but he didn't attack, gripping tightly to my arms instead. "No. You need to resist it!" He growled.

"I CAN'T!"

"No. you just think that. If you really couldn't resist the instinct, I'd be right their next to you in a matching set of chains. Peter and Derek, too. You. Can. FIGHT IT."

"HOW?"

"FIND A DAMN ANCHOR. S-something that keeps you human. It can be anything. Derek's is anger. Mine's my dad. Just find it, and focus on it."
♠ ♠ ♠
I meant to post this last night (I finished it) but I looked at the clock and it was 10:01...Can't be late for Teen Wolf!

Random question guys: Anyone planning on going to BiteCon? I really want to go, but I'd be alone because I have lame friends who don't think spending $175 to meet Tyler Posey and other cast members is reasonable...pshhh.

Comment, subscribe, whatever.

-Amy