Sequel: Changing Sides
Status: Finished

Behind Enemy Lines

Long Story Short

"An animal clinic?" Cora asked as we got out of Peter's car.

"It's not as ordinary as it looks. The building's half made out of mountain ash. Not actually sure how to get in." Peter explained.

"Well, maybe we could do what normal people do and knock on the door."

Peter looked down for a second, then back up at Cora and I. "They're here."

"Who?" Cora asked him.

"All of them."

"As in all of the alphas?" It was my turn to ask.

"Hannah, you know, for a hunter you really aren't all that observant." Peter sighed.

"Wait, she's a hunter? I thought she was a wolf?"

"It's a long story." Peter groaned. The back door of the building opened and Peter pulled Cora and I out of sight as Kali and yet another alpha who I had yet to meet came out. Kali collapsed on the ground and let out a loud growl as the other man tried to hold her back from doing anything worse.

"Well judging by that little spectacle, we're done here, so I've got plenty of time to hear it." Cora said once the two alphas went back inside.

Peter told her the story on the drive home, me adding little comments here and there about Isaac and how this whole situation wouldn't have ever happened had Derek not been such an idiot. I didn't get the feeling our explanation made Cora all that happy, but Peter seemed surprisingly entertained by my interjections which was comforting. He still, really weirded me out. His comment about Derek killing him and the very obvious fact that he is alive did nothing to ease those feelings. So any sort of thing I did to make him think positively of me quieted my constant worry that he would try to kill me.

"Nice to see you again, kid. Please don't make a habit of it." Peter said, pulling into the McCall's driveway.

"Wasn't planning on it." i sighed, exiting the car. Melissa was at work right now and wouldn't be home for another hour or so, allowing me to have the house all to myself. Normally, I would appreciate the alone time, but since I had lived in the house for only a night or so, I wasn't all that thrilled.

I kicked off my new pair of Converse as I stepped into the house. I had gotten a few new pieces of clothing while I was out with Scott's mom, and boy did it feel nice to wear something other than my boots.

I decided to watch TV, something that had become pretty regular for me now that I was no longer spending all of my time hunting, training, or going to school. I was about halfway into some random movie when the phone rang. I didn't bother answering it, figuring whoever was calling probably wanted Melissa or Scott.

The message left by the caller played as it was being recorded.

"Hey, uh, Hannah. It's Isaac. I wanted to call you but I realized you didn't have a phone so I hope you get this. Anyway, uh, I just wanted to let you know that the meet was moved to tomorrow so we'll be back later than expected. Also, I'm sorry for how I was when we left. I'll talk to you more about it all when I get home. Hope you're doing okay with Melissa. Yeah, bye."

I couldn't help but laugh as I heard the message. He sounded so nervous on the phone.

"Hello, Hannah." Melissa greeted as she walked through the front door. "Scott called, the meet's been postponed. Guess it's just us for a little longer." She said, putting some sort of takeout food on the counter. "Oh, and I brought dinner home."

□☾□

I looked up from the magazine I was reading as I heard the sound of Scott's dirt bike pull up on the driveway.

"I have never been so happy to be home." Scott said as he came inside.

"Come on, one weekend away with the cross country team couldn't have been that bad." I smirked, walking to where the two boys were.

"Well when you stay in a haunted motel, and wolfsbane somehow gets in your coach's whistle which he constantly blows, it can get pretty bad." Isaac laughed.

"Sounds exciting."

"Not as exciting as what Ethan told me this morning." Scott said. "Turns out Derek is probably alive."

"So Peter was right?"

"When were you talking to Peter? I thought Isaac told me he creeped you out?"

"Well when my main sources leave before telling me much, I have to find other ways of getting information."

"Look, we're really sorry about that." Isaac said, running a hand through his hair.

"It's fine, I understand. Besides, I wasn't particularly chatty when we first met."

"Hey, sorry to interrupt, but I'm gonna go take a shower so I stop smelling like gasoline." Scott told us before running up the stairs.

"So, uh, haunted motel?"

"It was awful. Let's go sit on the couch and I'll tell you about it." Isaac said, making his way towards the living room with me following behind. "I don't even know where to start." He picked up a pillow. "Okay, well, first off, we all tried to kill ourselves. All the wolves. Actually I didn't really. I was too busy hiding under the bed apparently. I don't really know what I was doing there. That's just where Lydia and Stiles found me."

"Lydia?" I interrupted.

"You'll meet her eventually. Though I'm not sure if you want to. She and Peter have some weird kind of connection, he used it to come back from the dead last year, it was weird."

"You're rambling." I laughed.

"I do that sometimes."

"Were you okay after they found you under the bed?"

"Yes, we slept in the bus so the motel's weird magical powers couldn't affect us."

"Please tell me that was the cross country meet that you had to drive so far to get to." I smiled.

"I sure hope so."
♠ ♠ ♠
WOO I think that chapter turned out pretty nicely. Which is good, because Motel California didn't really cover much outside of the motel shit, so I had some trouble coming up with stuff for this chapter.

Interaction is always appreciated, and of course, thank you for reading.

-Amy