Sequel: Changing Sides
Status: Finished

Behind Enemy Lines

Repaying a Debt

"What are you doing up?" I asked Isaac, still half asleep. He was fully dressed in jeans and a button-down shirt despite it being some insanely early hour of the morning.

"Go back to sleep, Hannah."

"Not until you answer my question." I replied, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I have trouble sleeping sometimes." Isaac shrugged it off. I didn't bother to say anything in response, making my way to the couch in the center of the room instead. "What are you doing?"

"I'm awake now. Might as well keep you company." I yawned. Isaac was about to protest but just sighed and joined me instead.

In our typical fashion, Isaac and I sat on opposite sides of the couch not saying a word to each other for a few moments. I waited for Isaac to speak as I was the one to do speak first last time. The words didn't come until I shifted positions, pulling knees to my chest in an attempt to warm up my bare arms while wishing I hadn't chosen to sleep in a tank top.

"You don't have to stay up. I can take care of myself y'know." Isaac said, moving closer and wrapping his arms around my frame.

"I'm fine. I was just cold, but that's no longer a problem."

"You're welcome." he smirked slightly, his laugh just quiet enough for me to hear it.

"I'm not sure if I've said this yet, but thank you, Isaac."

"Like I said, I don't like Peter either."

"No, not just that." I shook my head. "Thank you for everything. Especially for convincing me to stay alive."

"I've seen...what I am...what we are...take too many lives. I'm not letting anyone die if I can prevent it."

□☾□

"Hannah...Hannah!" Someone called in a whisper. I opened my eyes to find Derek crouched next to the...couch. Shit.

"Where's Isaac?" I asked, sitting up.

"That's why I was waking you up. He's not here. Hannah, do you have any idea where he could've gone?"

"I woke up earlier and found him out here fully dressed, but he said it was because he couldn't sleep. I-I don't know. We were just sitting here, talking. I must've fallen asleep."

Derek stood up, taking a few steps and running his hand through his hair. "I am not losing another member of the pack to them." He mumbled.

"To who?"

"Another pack arrived in Beacon Hills a few months ago. It consists entirely of alphas. I'm not really sure who or what it is they want but I am not taking chances."

"Okay. Shit. Um, just let me get dressed and I'll help look for him."

□☾□

My heartbeat was loud in my ears as I ran through the forest. Just a few days ago, I had been in the same place, close to death. Now I was back, and I owed Isaac.

Derek and I had been looking for Isaac all day, Peter sitting at the loft claiming "he wasn't back to full strength" or something like that in order to get out of this. We'd searched the whole Beacon Hills area and still nothing. Even my usual hunting boots couldn't hold up in the search. I didn't want to know how bad the blisters and rub marks were. I wanted to give up, to go back to that nook in the rocks where Derek had found my unconscious body, and stay there. I probably would've, had I not gotten Derek's phone call.

"Just got a call. Isaac's in the hospital."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah wow that was a hard chapter to write so I'm sorry if it sucks. Next chapter will be better I promise!!!!!! thank you for all the subscriptions and reads! It means a lot :)

-Amy