Sequel: Changing Sides
Status: Finished

Behind Enemy Lines

Time to Heal

I woke up, still exhausted, but I couldn't go back to sleep if I wanted to. I got dressed quickly and hit the sidewalk, running. I didn't tell anyone where I was going. I didn't want any company. I wanted answers.

I was thankful for my new abilities when I reached the doors of Beacon Hills Memorial Hospital not long after I had left and barely out of breath. Casually, I made my way into the lobby and towards the front desk. A woman in lavender scrubs looked up at me and smiled.

"Can I help you, hon?" she asked.

"Uh, yeah. I'm looking for Isaac Lahey. Could you tell me where to go?"

The nurse looked confused by my request. "Issac? You a friend of his?"

"Yeah..."

"Sorry, it's just...Isaac and my son happen to be friends, and I don't recall ever seeing you with him." She told me, more of a question that and statement.

"I'm kinda...new. Look, Derek and I spent all day looking for Isaac and I just really want to make sure he's okay." She thought about something for a second, and then nodded.

"I'll take you to his room. Follow me."

We walked down one of the many bleak, greenish grey hallways. It was full of police. I wasn't planning on this.

The nurse told me to wake a minute and went to talk to the sheriff. "Okay, come on." I followed her into the room. The first thing I noticed, was, of course, Isaac. "Isaac, you've got a visitor." He lifted his head and turned to look in my direction.

"Hannah?"

"Hi." I said to him. The nurse left us alone, saying something under her breath that, from what I could tell, expressed her relief that I did, in fact, know Isaac.

"Is Derek here?" Isaac asked. I shook my head.

"No, I'm the only one. They don't really even know where I am, actually."

"You snuck out to visit me in the hospital?" he asked, a hint of humor in his voice and a smile on his face.

"I was really worried and I wasn't sure Derek and Peter would let me come." I shrugged. "What happened to you?"

"To be honest, I'm not really sure."

"What do you mean you're not sure? You obviously had somewhere to be yesterday, I mean you left without telling anyone."

"You mean kinda like you did today?"

"Well, I didn't promise a certain girl who was nice enough to stay up with me since I couldn't sleep that I wouldn't ever leave without telling her first again." I wasn't angry. Bothered, rather.

"I'm sorry. I would've told you. I was trying to protect you. If I hadn't you'd be in the room next door, scheduled for surgery, too."

"Surgery?" What did Isaac do that caused him to be injured this badly?

"I don't really know, Hannah. I do know, though, that whatever it is probably isn't necessary thanks to the fact I'm a werewolf." Oh, shit. I hadn't thought about that part.

"What are you going to do?"

"I don't know. I was hoping Derek would stop by so I could ask him for suggestions."

"Any other ideas, since, I, uh, kinda ruined that one?"

"Go get Melissa, the nurse that brought you here. Tell her it's important."

□☾□

"Yeah, yeah it's healing. Visibly. Wow. Th-they can't see this. Nobody can see this." Melissa told Isaac as she checked his side where he had been attacked.

"Alright, cover it. Crap." Isaac let out a worried sigh.

"I-I-I don't think that's gonna matter, I mean you're scheduled for surgery which is obviously going to be very confusing for a lot of people."

"Okay, can one of you do something?" he looked from Melissa to me, and then to the gauze covering his healing wounds.

"I'm relatively new to all this." she motioned with her hands. "Hannah?"

"Even newer." I told her, running my hands through my hair.

"She already messed up any chance of Derek helping us."

"Do you know of any other werewolves I can contact?" Melissa asked him.

Isaac thought for a second, then looked up. "Call Scott." She took a deep breath, nodded, and walked out.

"Scott?" I asked him once she had left.

"Melissa's son. Used to be part of Derek's pack."

"What do you mean used to be?"

"They weren't exactly on the same page when we had to deal with another guy on the lacrosse team who had become a lizard creature last year."

"Oh." Lizard creature? Funny, I never once heard about anything other than a werewolf during my training.

"Don't worry, the guy moved to London." He laughed.

"Thanks, makes me feel a bit safer."

We both looked up as the door to Isaac's room was opened, expecting Melissa but instead getting another nurse. "Hello, Isaac and friend." She grinned. "How're we feeling?"

"Good, but, uh, were's Melissa?"

"She's with another patient. I'm just here to administer your anesthetic." The nurse told him in an overly-sweet voice. "Sweetheart, I'm sorry, but I'm going to need you to leave so we can get Isaac prepped for surgery." she said, turning to face me. Isaac and I exchanged nervous glances before I nodded.

"Bye, Isaac. I'll see you when you wake up." I told him, placing my left hand over his. "Hopefully with some friends, okay?"

"Thanks, Hannah, see you then."

"I'll walk you out to the waiting room." The nurse said, placing her hand on my back and walking me out. She brought me down the hall to a small, dark room that definitely did not look like it was the waiting room.

I never found out hat the room was, though, because I passed out just like I had the night I was bitten.
♠ ♠ ♠
First off, there are a lines of this chapter that came directly from the show and I would just like to saw I DO NOT CLAIM ANY OF THAT AS MY OWN.

Now that the legal stuff's been taken care of, hope you guys liked this chapter! I think it's my favorite so far (if you can't tell by the much longer length). I left it at a bit of a cliff hanger so it wouldn't get too long. Sorry! It IS a Teen Wolf fic, and Jeff Davis seems to like cliffhangers. Also, a new little feature I've been meaning to add: Behind Enemy Lines has an 8tracks mix! There's a song for each chapter (this chapter's song is Fool's Game by This Century if you need help matching everything up). I might be changing it around later because I had planned out 20 chapters but I don't have my notebook with me, so when I went back to plan I only got 15 chapters out of the story, but for now this is the playlist! If you listen to the songs after Fool's Game, I think it'll give you a little taste for what's to come. :)

-Amy