Sequel: Changing Sides
Status: Finished

Behind Enemy Lines

Struggle

"What the hell are you doing to him, Peter?" I asked, running down the spiral staircase to where Isaac was sitting, Peter right behind him with his claws out.

"Performing an ancient ritual used by alphas to get inside another wolf's mind. Trying to recover Isaac's memory." He said it so casually, stroking the back of Isaac's neck with the tip of one of his claws, looking like he was desperate to get started.

"I still don't like this." Isaac said, looking from me to Derek.

"Stop worrying." Derek told him.

"Relax. I'll get more out of you if you're calm."

"How am I supposed to be calm when you're about to shove your claws INTO MY NECK?" Isaac was a nervous wreck. I couldn't believe they were making him do this.

"Guys, I don't really like this either." Isaac shot me a thankful glance. "Couldn't this kill him?"

"Or paralyze him. But only if you do it wrong." Peter was studying the back of Isaac's neck now, trying to decided where to sink his claws into.

"You've had a lot of practice though, right?" Isaac looked at the wolf behind him.

"Well, I've never paralyzed anyone." Isaac went to respond, but was silenced by Peter's claws which now dug deep into his neck. Isaac's head swung back, his eyes glowing golden and Pete's blue. Derek and I had matching looks of horror and worry on our faces as Peter struggled to control Isaac's squirming body as it fought his grip. Derek jumped up, but Peter stopped him. "Wait, I've seen him."

Isaac's body flew forward as Peter ripped his claws out.

"What'd you see?"

"Uh, it was confusing. Um, i-images. Uh, fade. Shapes."

"But you saw something?"

"You were right. Isaac found them."

I could see tears running down Isaac's face as he looked up. Neither Hale seemed to notice. I stepped towards him, placing a hand on his back. "You okay?" Isaac nodded.

□☾□

"Why are we at a vet?" I asked, stepping out of Derek's car. Scott had called us saying he had another idea for getting Isaac's memory back, and to meet him here.

"Because he's not just a vet." Derek answered.

"Hey hey, Isaac, Derek, girl I've never met before!" A voice called out from behind us at the same time I heard two more car doors close. I turned around to see a goofy-grinned brunette boy and Scott.

"Her name is Hannah." Derek told the boy I didn't know. "Hannah, this idiot is Stiles."

"What kind of name is that?" I ask, my question directed towards Stiles himself.

"A nickname. Don't ask for my real name because you're not finding out." Okay then.

"Can you guys help me carry in these bags of ice?" Scott asked, opening the door to the backseat of an old blue jeep.

"Why do we need ice?" Isaac asked, making his way over to help.

"I don't know, but Deaton told me to bring it."

Once inside, we found out why Scott had to clear out the nearest convenience store's supply of bagged ice cubes. The exam room in the back of the office had been cleared out to allow space for a large metal tub, which was filled with cold water. We were told to fill the tub with the ice while Isaac talked with the vet.

"Obviously it's not going to be particularly...comfortable, but if we can slow your heart rate down enough, you'll slip into a trance-like state."

"Like...being hypnotized?" Isaac asked as the pair made their way towards us.

"Exactly. You'll be half transformed. It'll let us access your subconscious mind."

Isaac bent down to get a closer look at the icy tub and I followed, offering an encouraging smile.

"How slow does his heart rate need to be?" Scott asked.

"Very slow." Dr. Deaton replied.

"Okay, well how slow is very slow?" Derek asked.

"Nearly dead."

Everyone looked at the vet, and I felt Isaac tense up next to me before reaching into the water, flinching away as soon as his hand touched the surface. "It's safe though, right?"

"Do you want me to answer honestly?"

"No. No, not really." Isaac admitted, standing up.

"Look, if it feels to risky you don't have to do this." Derek told him. Isaac turned to me.

"Hannah?"

"It's up to you, Isaac." He pulled his shirt off and took a deep breath before stepping into the tub. Scott and Derek each took a shoulder and pushed Isaac under, the displaced water spilling from the side as they did so. A few moments later, he sat back up, half transformed.

"Get him back under."

I watched as Isaac struggled under the two wolves' grips, Stiles joining in. I excused myself before I could see any more.
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, I don't own any of the lines taken from the actual show.

I really hope you guys liked this chapter! I had some trouble getting it started but I think it turned out pretty well!

I really appreciate all of these subscriptions and recs and reads by the way! I'd love it if I could get some comments, though. ;)

-Amy