18 and Over

Into the Wild

" Well, that didn't go as planned." Ryder says into her iPhone as she slams Helga's door shut.

"What happened?" Her friend Amy asks.

" Remember when we worked at the restaurant together and I called that waitress a cunt?"

"Ya....?"

"It was kind of like that."

"I thought you guys were bestfriends?" Amy had never met Austin. Austin's judgmental side got the best of her constantly, to the point where she didn't like anyone. Ryder tried to avoid those situations but simply not bringing her around. Amy on the other hand was fun and charismatic. They had both been hostesses at the restaurant where Ryder had met her ex, Chris, and their mom's happened to both manage the place....and secretly be archenemies. my and Ryder got along fine,however, and even though Ryder hadn't worked at the restaurant for a few weeks now, they still kept intouch regularly.

" We are, but she's very... bratty. Only child syndrome, you know."

"Hey! I'm an only child!"

"Ya, but your mom has that 23 year old boyfriend, so I don't know if that still stands."

The girls laughed for a minute before Ryder's phone beeped alerting her of a waiting call. " Speaking of moms. Can you hold for a minute?"

" Uh huh."

"Hey Mom. Whats up?"

"Did you grab my blush again?"

"Oh ya. Sorry. I needed it. Its in my room, in a big, green tote."

"Ok. I'll grab it. You really need to stop raiding my makeup bag.... and closet"

"I completely blame you for having such good taste."

"Oh ya whatever." Ryder's mom seem to have zero sense of humor today. Probably from the two fulltime jobs. Lack of sleep will get the best of anybody.

"Hey You there?"

"Ya."

"Sorry. My mom needed to grab her straightener out of my- FUCK! I have to go." Ryder jiggled the keys inside Helga's ignition while balancing the phone between her cheek and shoulder.

"Is everything ok?" Amy asks legitimately concerned.

"I'm going to have to call you back."

Ryder went 20 over the speed limit the whole way home. Anxiety eating at the pit of her stomach. She parked the car in the drive way. Deep breath in. She thought of all the excuses she could have, all the reasonings she could use in case she was caught. She walked up the front steps and with a creek of the door, let her self in. "Ryder!" Her mom's voice came almost immediately calling her into her own bedroom. Her pulse begun to race and sweat formed at her hairline. She poked her head into the yellow colored bedroom. "Ya?" She asked as innocently as she could. The most frightening sight awaited for her.

"What is this? Her mom stood in front of the closet, green tote at her feet, clear 7 inch heel in hand. "What have you been doing?"

"Im go go dancing." Ryder blurted congratulating her self for lying better than expected.

"Really? And this?" She dropped the heel and grabbed the tote flipping it over so a storm of single dollar bills drapped the carpeted floor.

"Tips."

"Get out."

"Wh-what?"

"Get out. Grab your shit and get out." Hot tears clouded Ryder's vision. "I won't have you here teaching your brothers God know what, <I> cochina prostituta</I>"

"Ma! I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm just dancing. I don't even take my clothes off." She doesn't have to know everything, she thought to her self in desperation for a roof over her head. "Why don't you believe me?"

"How can I? You were never a role model kid. Always ditching school, doing God knows what."

"I only ditched school because I was depressed!"

"What do you have to be depressed about?" Her mom spat.

"Oh I don't know. Dad leaving on my birthday. You never being around."

"I work" She butt in, but Ryder kept going without acknowledging the intrusion. "Your asshole illegal boyfriend that we all hate. I should call Immigration on his ass."

"GET OUT!" Her words filled the vicinity with hurt carried with every word.

"Fuck this. I'll grab my stuff and be gone in an hour."

"No. Everything here is mine."

"I've bought my own clothes for years now."

"With your dirty money."

Ryder shut the door in her mom's face, turned to lean back on it as the pain gave away to her legs. She sat on the floor sobbing until a twin door slam shook the house followed by the sound of a car engine coming to life. She'd be gone by the time her mom came back.