18 and Over

Goodbye

No alarm needed; Ryder promptly wakes up at nine. Everyday this week, she rolls around in her twin bed, shaking her body awake. Her brown eyes adjust to the rays of sunshine bouncing off the blue bedroom walls. She lives at home, but it doesn't feel like it. Her mom is usually gone by 7 am and back by midnight. She doesn't see much of her two younger brothers either. The school bus shows up sometime in the 8 o'clock hour, by the time they get home she's at Girls Girls Girls, scarfing down a burger from the joint across the street. Today would be different. She hops in the shower, delicately shaves her legs, scrubs her body with a Dove soap bar, and lets the steam relax the ache in her shins. Bruises adorn her soft skin, her knees purple from crawling on the hard granite stage. She looks at the spotted skin, and laughs at her self in disbelieve. Ryder had been so excited on her first day and so intimidated on the rest, she hadn't bothered to ask how the schedule worked. All she knew was to show up at noon, leave at 7. In their history, London had made her feel stupid plenty of times, what was one more?

"So, is Robin going to tell me my day's off? I've been working a week today." She asked her while they sat on the couch in awkwardness.

London let out a huge laugh making Ryder's skin flush; she had never been the confident type. "You don't get a schedule. You're a personal contractor." She saw the puzzled look on Ryder's heart shaped face and continued, " It means you run your own business. You respond to no one. Come in when ever...or don't. You have your license,right?" Ryder shook her head no causing an exaggerated sigh from London's full lips. "You have so much to learn. I'm assuming you haven't filled out your paper work with House Mom, or met Frank yet." Quick shake of the head again. "I'll introduce you."

At 6 the night girls start coming in. Ryder usually stays clear of the locker room by then. The quiet pink room becomes a sorority. Naked drunk girls claiming spots at the vanities crowd the locker room. Everyone in their cliques, noses upward, competing for top spot. They paint their bodies with tanning lotion while doing tequila shots and complaining of where the money is flowing and where the money is in shortage. They swap stories of customers, and how whipped they have them.

Seven rolled around and Ryder couldn't be happier. Now that she knew she didn't have to come in everyday, she was planning on going taking the day off tomorrow. Maybe some shopping in her future, that is until London showed up at her side. This girl would simply not go away. She hooked her arm and begun dragging her toward the "ENTERTAINERS ONLY" sign. "You're not thinking of going home yet are you?"

"I was. Our shift is over."

"Well yours, yes. I'm working a double."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm working both. Frank should be getting here anytime now.Don't you want to work night?"

"I'm pretty tired...."

"He just needs to meet you. C'mon. Lets go wait for Mom."

The two girls went up the stairs to the locker room where Jaslyn was passed out snoring on a love seat. She should really consider retiring. The Blondetarage were gathered by Ashley's locker making conversation with a few night shifters. "I'm sure tonight will be good. I mean, on day I made like a thousand dollars...." Ashley's voice died down as she put her 7 inch clear pumps back in her perfectly organized lockers. Yes, lockers. Her customers bought her so much lingerie she had two lockers for all her outfits and accessories. Ryder, however, had a tote which carried her street clothes and make up. She unsuccessfully looked for it. It was no longer at the corner of the long countered vanity,but on the floor.

"Is this your shit?" A tall mousy brunette asked. Ryder had apparently not answered fast enough. "Ugh. Fucking new girls need to learn their place." She remarked impatiently.

"That's Marci. Don't worry about it. She's a bitch."

" Thinks she can do whatever cus she's fucking Sian." Britney added from inside her locker. The room erupted in to "Who is fucking Sian?" and "Shut the fuck up! No way!" mumbles that transformed into "Hey Mom!" greetings. Some girls made their way to the desk on the corner, where a woman whom looked like Sharon Osbourne's twin sister greeted them back in a proper English note. She begun unpacking deli and veggie trays from a green beach bag. A shaved head man in a well fitted suit and an ear piece helped set up a nearby table into a snack station. That must be Frank. He was a attractive in an unusual way; mysterious grey eyes complimented thin lips.

"Hey David !" A girl called on her way down.

"Hey sweetheart." He replied in a smooth tone. His glare traveled from the girl to the food bag making a stop on Ryder. His pale lips slid into a smile. "Hey. .You look new" He asked in a very friendly manner. "I'm David, and you are?"

"Luna."

"Cute. Mom, this is Luna. "

"Hello darling. I haven't met you before. Did you do all your paper work,yet?"

"No ma'am."

"Ok. Here. Take a seat down." She pulled an old plastic chair to her desk and fumbled through a cabinet finally pulling out a bunch of papers stapled together. "Fill out this package,dear. Let me know when you're all done." She went back to placing chips, chocolates and cookies on the snack table.

"Working a double?" David asks.

"No."

"Thinking of working nights at all?"

"Thinking about it." A shy smile.

"You should. You'd do well." His voice is charismatic and intelligent.

"Thanks."

"I'll see you around, Luna."

He leaves her with her cheeks burning. Her mind races. She tries to concentrate while filling out the blank spaces. Stage name? Luna. Brithdate, Social, address,phone,date....what's the date today? "Done."

This time Mom has her hands full with a steaming crock pot. "alright,dear. Are you planning on working tonight?"

"No."

"Ok. Let me just..." she comes over and eyes the paper work. "No license?"

"No. Do I need it?"

"Yes,dear. If you don't have it you can get in a lot of trouble. Government needs to make sure your paying taxes, and such. Here." Another paper. This one with 3 different addresses and phone numbers. "You have two weeks from hire date to get your paper work done. First you'll go down to the city and get a business license. Then here, at the taxation department, and last to the sheriff's office to get a work card. It's about 500 dollars." There goes the shopping. "You're all set. Coming tomorrow?"

"I think I'm taking the day off."

"Alright, then. Go on. It was lovely meeting you." She turns to two girls fighting over a bikini. "Bloody hell. Let go of her hair!"

Ryder goes back to her tote and begins to change into her jeans and black tee. "Ready to meet Frank?"

"Ya."

"You working night shift?" Brittney asks now dressed in highwaist shorts, tanktop, and bandana in her hair.

"Not tonight."

"But definetly tomorrow. right?" London adds as if finishing her sentence.

"Damn. Well. I was waiting till after the weekend to tell the girls, but I might not get a chance to tell you. I'm moving."

"What? Where?" Ryder wasn't sure if she was more shocked about Brittney's move, or the fact that she was, for once, putting her cool girl guard down and counting her as part of the group after only a week.

"Japan. My man got stationed over there. I leave next week."

"You're married?"

Brittney tries to hold in a smile and busts out her cell. "Ya girl." She begins to scroll through her pictures and stops on one of her, a handsome dark skin black man in a navy uniform, and a beautiful curly haired baby girl. "I know, you probably weren't expecting me to be with a black man." She laughs. It was true. Her rockabilly style would have you think she had a biker with tattoos waiting for her at home.

"You're daughter is gorgeous."

"Thanks!"

"Are you excited?"

"Ya. I've always wanted to go to Japan."

Ryder didn't know what to say. Thank you would be too cheesy. I'll miss you would be too soon. She let a hug summarize everything.

London and Ryder made their way back down to the club. Just an hour ago it had been practically empty. Now, a line at the door poured in, the music was louder, and the club seemed to have gotten darker.Men sat around drinking beers out of buckets. Ryder caught a glimpse of Marci on stage in the splits and quickly looked away. They walked to the main entrance where just one week ago innocent Ryder had came to audition unprepared, and was now hoping to move to the big leagues.

"Hey Teresa. Where's Frank?" London asked leaning against a tall bar where men payed the cover charge and the night girls clocked in. A light skinned black girl in her mid 20's worked the cashier. "He's walking a girl out. He'll be right back." Her voice was childish opposing her tall stature and voluptuous hips. Her long braided hair graced her lower back as she turned to continue with her job. People kept coming in, the line growing longer. The door open letting a blast of warm summer air in, and witht hat two men laughing. "Frank." Teresa called to them. "London wants to talk to you." Both men walked over to them. One built strong like a pitbull, short cut dark hair with a sexy mafioso boss vibe. The other taller by two inches with dark ginger hair and a beard to match.

"You wanted to talk to me?" The italian looking man asked with sideways smile and playful cockiness. The redhead stood near the cashier bar greeting patrons.

"Ya. I just wanted to introduce you to Luna. She's new. "

"Working tonight?"

"No."

"Why?!"

"I don't know... I'm tired."

"That's a stupid excuse. You working tonight?"

"Ya. I'm doing a double."

"Good.Clock in. Come on. I'll walk you out." in a swift move he grabbed Ryder's tote off her hands ."So why are you not working my shift?"

"I don't know." He opens the door for her allowing her to pass. "I 'm nervous. I just started dancing a week ago." The make their way to the blue bronco. She fidgets with the keys in nervousness.

"All I'm saying is, a pretty girl like you could make a lot more than what day shift has to offer you. Easily seven...eight hundred on a bad night." Ryder hops into the truck. Frank hands her tote back, his dry hands gracing hers. His sideways smile comes back as he throws her a sweet look with almond eyes. "Think about it."

As she drove, Ryder couldn't get the fact that the big manger wanted her to work for him. The way London had described it, there were leagues. Dayshift for the beginners and the down and outs. Doubles for the hustlers. Week nights for the hookers. Weekend nightshift- the stars.

She had planned to take today off, but now, how could she possibly say no to what was awaiting her.
♠ ♠ ♠
So the more I write this story, the more I feel it shouldn't be a novel type of thing. I think I'm going to do a Sex and the City type of vibe. Lots of stories making up the transformation of Ryder's life not so much of a plot. Like I said before, I want it to feel real. Anyway. I'd love some feedback <3 Enjoy.