Status: In the works, bbs!

Hold Onto Me

There's no way but up from here

My eyes opened quickly as I heard a noise outside the house, followed by a cat meow. I sighed, realizing it was only Simba sitting outside in the window. The clock said it was 2:30 in the morning, and I rolled over hoping to go back to sleep. After laying there for maybe five minutes, I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep. I quietly got out of bed, careful not to wake Mel, and walked into the living room. Zacky was laid out on the couch, watching some show.

"Oh, I didn't wake you up, did I?" He asked, muting the tv.

"No, no. I didn't know you were out here or I would've stayed in my room."

"Hey, it's your house. You can go wherever, you're not bothering me."

I just nodded and went into the kitchen to get a drink. When I came back, I saw he had sat up and was sitting on one side of the couch. I took a seat on the other side and pulled my knees up to my chest, and stared at the floor.

"Want to talk about it?" He asked.

"I think he left us..." I mumbled into my legs. "He didn't want you guys around. Anyway," I said, hoping to change the subject. "Where's everyone else?"

"He didn't want us around... Marissa, I'm so sorry us being around fucked things up for you. I could see how you looked at him, you really loved him. I can't leave though."

"I would never ask you to leave, Zack. Or any of the other guys, for that matter. Melody loves you guys so much, and she would be devastated if she never saw you again. I thought John knew this would happen one day, but if he can't accept the fact that you're her father and actually trust me to be around you then it's better off this way. I love him, but I love Melody more. Her happiness is more important than mine."

"You're a great mom, you know that right?"

"Thanks, I really needed to hear that." I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. "Hey, you never answered my question about the guys."

"Oh, yeah. Right. They all went back to the hotel. They'll be back in the morning, er... later on since it's technically morning already."

I let out a small laugh and shook my head at his stupid ways. He just gave me a goofy smile and unmuted the tv, continuing the episode of Saturday Night Live. It was nice just being able to sit with someone and have that company without even having to talk. His presence was always more than enough to make me feel better.

All I could think about was John, though. His outburst came out of nowhere and I didn't understand what was going on. We'd been together since two weeks after I came back to Tempe. He was even there when Melody was born, and we had always talked about the day she would meet everyone. Sure, we planned it further down the road, but still. He had always accepted it and he said he would be more than supportive of it when I was ready. Where was he now? Gone.

"Hey, Zack...?"

"Huh?"

"Can you just hold me? Without it being weird? Please?" I asked, brushing the tears away.

He didn't hesitate at all. He pulled me into his body and held me tight. I felt like a teenager again. Like I did before I found out about Mel, before everything changed. I felt a comfort that I hadn't felt in years. And in a terrible way, it felt right.

I woke up to my phone's alarm going off, sending it vibrating against the coffee table. Zacky stirred slightly, gripping me tighter. I groaned and managed to grab my phone and turn the alarm off. It was 6:30 in the morning, and I had to leave the house by 7:20 or I would be late. Honestly, I didn't want to get up, but I had to get Mel up and ready for day care and myself ready for work.

"Hey, wake up." I whispered, shaking him softly.

"I'm... I'm awake." He mumbled, nuzzling his face into my side.

"Seriously, I need to get Mel up and I gotta get her ready for daycare while trying to get ready for work."

"I'll... I'll help." He said, rolling off the couch.

"Uh, you okay over there?" I asked, stifling a laugh.

"Peachy. Now, what do you need help with again?" He asked, rubbing his eyes.

"I've got to get Mel ready."

"For?"

"Uhm... day care? She can't stay here by herself and she can't go to the office with me."

"Why don't you let me have her for the day?"

I gave him a look and walked into my room, shaking my head. After about five minutes of me trying, Zack walked in and got her up within seconds. He just gave me a grin, and watched as she slowly fumbled down the hallway, bumping into the wall a few times before entering her room. He sat on the edge of the bed and watched as I got my comfy Friday clothes out.

"Do you really want to watch her today?" I asked, turning to face him.

"Absolutely! It would be the perfect bonding time for us."

"Okay... It's Friday, so the office closes at 2. I'm trusting you not to harm our daughter in that time frame." I joked, walking to the bathroom to shower.

"You've got my word!" He called out.

It was finally time for me to leave work and I couldn't wait to get out of there. Throughout the whole day, I got pictures and texts from Zacky and Mel and it just made me even more eager to get home to them. As I got in the car, I got another picture with the caption, "Hurry home! We have a surprise :)" Zacky was smiling as big as I'd ever seen him smile, and Mel looked like she was having the time of her life. They were absolutely precious together.

When I got home, Mel and Zack both ran out of the house to greet me. I picked Mel up and gave her a kiss on the cheek, before hugging Zack and out of habit, I gave him a kiss too. His eyes got wide and I realized what I'd done.

"Uh... Sorry, it's habit." I laughed nervously as I put Mel down.

"Yeah, yeah it's fine. Anyway, we want to meet up with the guys at the park and have a little picnic they already have. What do you say, Mari?" He smiled softly.

"Did a certain little cutie put you up to that?"

"Maybe..."

I looked at Mel, who was smiling bright and rocking back and forth innocently. She even went as far as to try to whistle, but she hadn't quite mastered it yet. It was so cute, I couldn't help but give in.

"Okay, okay. Let's go."

"We already locked the door." Mel giggled, climbing into the backseat.

"Of course you did." I laughed, getting in the front seat.

"Mama, can we listen to Stevie?"

I turned the cd on and sang along with Stevie Nicks, Melody, and Zack. I was surprised he remembered the songs, but I guess it's hard to forget when it was pretty much all I listened to. Fleetwood Mac was my mom's favorite band, and what I grew up listening to so I had to keep it going with my own daughter.

We got to the park, and Melody couldn't get out of the car fast enough when she saw her uncles sitting at a picnic table, with a basket full of food. I gave Zack a look and he just shrugged before running after our daughter.

As I approached the table, Jimmy opened the basket to reveal a bunch of McDonald's bags. My jaw dropped as I realized this is what they called a picnic. I should have known it was going to be something off the wall like that. He sat a happy meal box down in front of Mel and she went wild, tearing into the food.

"Melody Caroline Quinn! Use your manners, young lady! You act like you haven't eaten in a week." I scolded, sitting down beside her.

"Sorry..." She smiled goofily.

"Hey, Rissa. I hope McDonald's is okay." Matt laughed, hugging my side.

"It's fine. Just don't give her fast food everyday, kay?" I chuckled.

We all made small talk for a little bit while we ate, and once everyone had finished their food, Mel took everyone except Matt to play with her. I let out a big sigh and laid my head on his shoulder. John was still consuming my mind. He hadn't texted or called, and it was getting obvious that he wasn't coming back, and that things between us were done. Over something I couldn't control.

"What's wrong, bug?"

"He's gone. John left and I don't think he's coming back."

"Oh my god. Why? What happened last night?"

"He's mad because Zack is back in my life, and he doesn't want to lose me and Mel to him."

"So he walks out? Wow, what a genius." Matt laughed loudly.

"Hey." I shoved him lightly. "He's still my fiance. I think."

"Well, you should probably figure it out soon. And by soon, I mean like, today."

"Why today?" I asked, confused.

"That's why."

He pointed across the park and I followed with my eyes, landing on Zack pushing Melody on the swing. I couldn't actually hear her giggling, but I knew she was. She was so happy having the guys around. It was what she needed in her life. I did too.

"I think it's time to tell her." I smiled softly, my eyes never leaving the pair.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Title- Up!- Shania Twain

Hiya, beauties! Seems like everyone's enjoying the story, and I'm beyond ecstatic about that! (: Shout out to shadzgurlfoREVer! Thanks for the comment, doll :3 On another note, guess what I got as an extremely early birthday present from my parents?! TICKETS TO ROCKVILLE FESTIVAL IN JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA!!!!!! Guise. Avenged, Rob Zombie, Korn, MIW, HELLYEAH, FFDP, Seether, The Pretty Reckless, and so many more. I'm just... I can't even.

Marissa's clothes

Enjoy the chapter! Comment, recommend, and subscribe!