Status: Active

Kiss From a Rose

Chapter 15

Matt was sure he was breaking every single speeding law in Huntington Beach but he didn't care. He had to get to Ember to make sure she was okay.

Though he didn't want to believe it Matt was starting to think about Ember saying all she brought was death and destruction might be true.

He finally arrived at the hospital finding a parking space. Getting out he ran into the hospital and to the front desk.

"How can I help you?" The nurse asked.

"I'm here to see about the young woman just brought in." Matt said panting.

"Are you family?" She asked.

"No I'm not but I know here." Matt said. "I've known her for almost a week now."

"I'm sorry but only family can see her as a matter of fact we're still trying to get in contact with them." She said

"She has no family." Matt said. "Her mom died when she was young and her dad died in a housefire."

The nurse looked shocked. "So she was no one we can call at all?"

"Not that I know of." Matt said. "She told me that and she never said anything about other members so I'm guessing she has none."

"I'll go let the doctor know then." The nurse said. "I'll tell him about you and ask him if it's okay for you to see her." "Till then wait here in the waiting room."

"Okay thanks." Matt said sitting down.

Matt grew anxious and started pacing as the minutes continued to go by. He glanced at his watch he had been waiting for almost twenty minutes.

As he started pacing again he glanced at the gift shop. Going in he walked to the flowers seeing a bouquet of white roses. After paying for them he walked out finding the nurse standing where he had been sitting.

"There you are." She said. "The doctor just got done with her."

"How is she?" Matt asked.

"She's been through alot but she's stabilized." The nurse said. "I'll take you to her."

Matt followed her to the elevator getting in as she pressed the button for the ER floor. The doors opened and they walked down a hallway where a door was partially opened.

They walked in to find the doctor checking Ember's pulse.

"My God." Matt whispered seeing her injuries.

Ember's beautiful pale skin was littered with purple yellow bruises. She had a gash on her forehead that had a big bandaid on it. Her neck had a big ugly looking bruise on it.

Her left hand had a wrap around it while her arm with the cuts on it was not only covered with gauze and a wrap but it was in a sling also.

The hospital gown covered her torso preventing him from seeing the injuries there. Her right leg was badly bruised also while her left leg was in a cast.

"Will she be okay?" Matt asked his eyes never leaving Ember lying in the bed.

"She's suffered severe bruising, broken bones, and some trauma as you can see but she should make a full recovery." The doctor said. "Right now she's in a deep sleep she should wake either in a couple of hours or tomorrow sometime."

Matt nodded. "Is it okay if I stay with her overnight?"

"We're usually not suppose to let non family members do that bit seeing that you're the only one to come here asking about her I see no reason why not." The doctor said.

"Thanks doctor:" Matt said setting the roses down on the table and grabbed a chair.

He gently took Ember's hand in his. "I'm right here Ember and I'm not going anywhere."

"Talking to her is good it might make her wake up earlier." The nurse said as she and the doctor left.

Matt looked back at Ember starting at her face before slowly going down her body before coming back to her sleeping face.

"Who did this to you Ember?" He whispered of course getting no answer.

That minute the door opened revealing two police officers. "Excuse me are you Matt Sanders?" One asked.

"Yes I am." Matt said.

"We need to ask you some questions concerning Miss McClain it'll only be five minutes." He said noticing Matt's expression.

Matt reluctantly got up. "I'll be right back Ember." He whispered kissing her forehead.

"How long have you known Miss McClain?" Officer Burke asked once they were outside.

"A couple of days I met her on New Years." Matt said.

"Can you think of anyone who either wanted to hurt her or wanted her dead?" He asked.

"I can't I mean she's not really social." Matt said. "She barely talked to the people she worked with so I can't think of any enemies."

"But yesterday she said that nothing but bad things follow and happen to her and those around her." Matt said. "I don't know if it means anything but I can't get it out of my head."

"You think she knew something like this would happen to her?" Officer Burke asked.

"I don't know but the things she says...I don't know what to think." Matt said.

Officer Burke thought about something. "You know whoever left her for dead didn't stop with the crash."

"What do you mean?" Matt asked.

"When the paramedics took her and according to the doctor and nurses the bruises around her neck look consistent to someone who had a tight strong grip around her neck." He said.

"Someone tried to strangle her to death?" Matt asked not believing his ears.

"Yep and even though we don't have a name or face we at least know the gender of the suspect." Officer Burke said.

"What is it?" Matt asked.

"The suspect is most likely female cause the handprints are too small to be a man's whoever she is has something against Miss McClain and wants her dead." He said.

Matt stood at the window looking out at the night occasionally glancing at Ember.

Who was after Ember and why did they want her dead?

He took his spot near her side taking her hand again rubbing his thumb over it.

"I wish when you wake you'll tell me everything Ember." He said. "I want to help and protect you but I can't if you won't let me."

Matt kissed her forehead reaching into his pocket he pulled out the ruby gemstone. Rolling it in his hand he placed it in Ember's hand then placed his hand over hers.

"You need this more then I do but if it does what you said it does then combined with my want to protect you from whoever is after you it should help." Matt said.

Matt kissed her knuckles before laying his head on the side. As he drifted to sleep he felt his hand being squeezed briefly.

The next morning Matt only stared at the food that was brought to him. He couldn't eat he barely slept the night before his mind occupied by Ember's well being.

She still hadn't woken nor shown any sign of conscious other than the squeeze of his hand the night before.

He looked up as the nurse came in. "How's everything going?"

"Okay she still hasn't shown any sign of waking up." He said.

"She will eventually." The nurse said checking Ember's heartbeat.

She went down her eyes widen as she checked again. "Oh my." She said.

"What's wrong?" Matt asked getting up worried.

"Nothing except there's another heartbeat here." The nurse said.

Matt's eyes widen and he gasped softly. "She's pregnant?"

The nurse nodded. "I'll get the doctor in so we can check to make sure the baby is okay."

As she left Matt looked at Ember before looking down. He slowly lifted up her gown. Ignoring the bruises he placed a hand on her stomach.

"I'll do whatever it takes Ember to protect you and our baby." He said kissing her stomach.