Status: Active

Kiss From a Rose

Chapter 21

Matt yawned and stretched as he got up from the chair dodging the first rays of sunrise.

He walked to the bathroom splashing his face and walked back over taking his place by Ember's side.

It was her third day at the hospital. Though her body especially her leg was healing slowly everything was going well.

He rubbed her burnt hand she squeezed his in her sleep.

So far there had been no sign of May. Other then the gift of dead roses and the corspe of Ablo there had been no other sign of her presence.

Matt was relieved for the time being at least. Ember also was too which was good.

She didn't need to be overly stressed and worried especially since she was carrying their child.

"Our child." Matt thought touching her stomach.

Matt had wanted to have kids and start a family for as long as he could remember.

Now he was gonna have a little boy or girl with a woman he loved and who loved him.

Something came into Matt's mind as he thought of this. Getting up he walked back into the bathroom showering and changing into some clean clothes.

After putting on his shoes he wrote a note for Ember. Before leaving he kissed her forehead.

"I love you." He said smiling as she smiled in her sleep.

He opened the door greeted by Officers Mathis and Officer Riggs.

"Where ya off to Mr. Sanders?" Riggs asked.

"Off to get something for Ember but don't tell her if she asks." He said.

Mathis chuckled. "We won't."

Matt walked out the hospital doors accidentally bumping into a woman.

"I'm so sorry." He said helping her pick up her dropped items.

"It's okay really thank you." She said quickly grabbing the things from him before walking into the hospital.

"Wonder what's her hurry." Matt thought as he walked to his car and got in driving away.

Ember woke up feeling for Matt and not finding him. She opened her eyes seeing a note in her lap.

She opened it and read it...

"Sorry I'm not here when you wake but I had to run some errands." "I'll be back soon love you." "Matt."

She smiled folding it back up and setting it on the table. As she sat there the nurse came in with breakfast.

"Good morning." She said sitting the plate on the table. "How you feeling?"

"Better." She said laughing as her stomach growled. "And hungry apparently."

"Well lucky for you you've got a gourmet breakfast." The nurse said lifting the lid up.

"Pancakes yum." Ember said pouring some syrup.

"Enjoy." The nurse said leaving.

Ember cut a piece and tasted it. Her face wrinkled it tasted strange it had a bitter yet sweet taste to them. She shrugged eating some more.

Matt parked in the hospital parking lot grabbing the two bags and walking to the double doors.

He looked into the bags smiling he couldn't wait till Ember saw what he had brought.

As the doors opened he almost dropped the bags seeing half the staff at Ember's door. He ran over and tried to get through.

"I'm sorry sir but you can't come in." The nurse said.

"What's happened to her?" Matt asked. "Is she alright?"

"She's been poisoned." She said.

"Poisoned?" Matt whispered. "How and when did this happened?"

"Sometimes this morning after she ate breakfast." The nurse said. "She's having trouble breathing and she's becoming asphyxiated."

"Can I see her please?" Matt asked. "I have to be there for her I promised her."

"I'm sorry but you'll have to wait outside." The nurse said.

Matt sighed and sat on the bench with the bags. "Mr. Sanders you've got a minute?" Mathis asked.

"It was her sister May who poisoned her." Matt said.

"Are you sure?" Riggs asked.

"Positive." Matt said. "I think I encountered her on my way out this morning."

"When?" Riggs asked.

"I was going out when I bumped into this woman who's face was hidden partially." He said. "She dropped a bag that had some vials of clear liquid in them."

"And you saw her come into the hospital?" Mathis asked.

"Yes." Matt said.

"We'll notified the rest of our comrades working on this." Riggs said. "You stay put."

Matt sighed as they walked away. He buried his head in his hands.

"I shouldn't have left her then this wouldn't have happened." He thought.

"Mr. Sanders?" A voice said shaking Matt.

Matt stirred awake and jumped up. "Ember is she...

"She's fine but she's on a breathing machine for now." The doctor said.

"What about the baby?" Matt asked.

"It's fine also." The doctor said with a smile. "We almost lost it when she had trouble breathing but it recovered."

"Can I see her?" Matt asked.

"Of course." The doctor said leading him into the room.

Matt looked at Ember who's eyes were currently closed. The breathing machine beeped in time with her slow breaths. Her face looked paler then usual.

"I'll leave y'all alone if you need anything just call us." He said leaving.

Matt sat by Ember's side he gently took her hand kissing it. "I shouldn't have left you." "After I promised to protect you and our child because of me you almost died."

"Matt." Ember said hoarsely and opened her eyes. "It's not your fault."

"It is if only...

"It's not your fault." She repeated and managed to smile. "I'm still here along with our child."

"If I had lost you two I don't know what I would've done." He said.

"You didn't lose us though and you're protecting us right now Matt." She said caressing his cheek. "My being here and loving us you're doing so much right now."

Matt squeezed her hand. "How you feeling?"

"My throat hurts a little, my voice is hoarse, and I've thrown up about three times but I'm fine." She said.

"You know I saw May before I left." He said.

Her eyes widen. "When?"

"I bumped into her while I was leaving made her dropped vials filled with poison." Matt said. "I should've known something was up."

"Let's not think about that." Ember said. "What's in the bags?"

Matt was so worried about Ember he had forgotten about the bags. "Brought you and our baby some things."

"What did you buy?" She asked with a smile.

He set the bag on her lap. "A piggy bank." She said.

"Little footses." She said laughing. "Memory book."

"A picture frame for our pictures then the babies." She said tracing the leaves on it.

"Also got this." He said pulling out a book.

"Nursery rhymes?" She asked.

"Yep when the baby gets here we're gonna have to read to it sometimes to help him or her sleep." Matt said.

Ember took the book turning to a page...

"Oh where oh where has my little dog gone?"
"Oh where oh where could he be?"
"With his ears cut short and his tail cut long."
"Oh where oh where could he be?"

Matt chuckled softly as she turned to another page and read Mary Had A Little Lamb.

"All the classics." She said flipping through the pages.

"Here's a classic I like that's not listed." Matt said.

"What is it?" Ember asked.

"Tomorrow tomorrow I love ya."
"Tomorrow you're only a day away."

Ember laughed. "Matt that's not a nursery rhyme."

"I know but it's a classic song I feel it accurately describes right now." He said.

"How so?" She asked.

"Cause not only do I love seeing another day but I love it even more cause I get to see and spend it with you." He said.

"I look forward to seeing another day because of you." Ember said.

Matt leaned forward their lips meeting in a gentle kiss. "I love you." He said.

"Love you too." She said yawning.

He chuckled pressing the button that reclined her back. "I think we both cause use some rest after today."

Ember nodded laying on her side facing him. "Night Matt."

"Night Ember." He said kissing her forehead.