Status: Active

Kiss From a Rose

Chapter 24

Matt's eyes fluttered open the next morning to the muffled chatter of the TV near the nurses desk. He yawned sitting up he checked on Ember.

It was Ember's fifth day at the hospital. The doctors said everything including the baby looked okay and she would be able to go home soon.

Matt pushed her hair behind her ear looking at her peaceful face.

Besides the little gift sent to Ember there had been no sign of May since.

Matt was completely relieved at this thinking their troubles were over and he wouldn't have to worry about Ember's or their babies safety.

Ember however was understandably still on edge but she was more then usual. Matt had attributed it to her being pregnant and her hormones.

He looked up as Ember stirred softly her eyes opening. "Hey." She said.

"Hey." Matt said kissing her forehead. "Did you sleep well?"

"I've slept better." Ember said sitting up.

"Ember what's wrong?" Matt asked.

"Nothing it's just I've got a bad feeling." She said.

"A bad feeling?" He asked.

"Yeah like something horrible's gonna happen to either me or you soon." She said.

"Ember nothing's...

"And the baby." She said touching her stomach.

Matt took her hands in his. "Ember I promised you that nothing would happen to you or our baby I intend on keeping it."

"Don't make promises you can't keep Matt." Ember said.

"Ember...

"Just don't." She said looking away as tears filled her eyes. "That way it won't hurt you so bad and you won't feel guiltly if you're not able to save me."

Before Matt could answer Nurse Betty walked in with breakfast.

"Morning you two how are you?" She asked.

"Just fine." Ember said dully.

Nurse Betty looked at Matt. "It's just her hormones." He said taking the plate. "Thanks Nurse B."

"Enjoy." She said giving Ember another look before leaving.

"Let's see what's for breakfast this morning." Matt said taking off the top.

"I'm not hungry." Ember said.

He sighed. "Ember please don't be like this." He said. "Nothing's bad is gonna happen to you or our baby."

"You're not always gonna be there to protect me Matt." Ember said.

Matt sighed and got up frustrated by Ember's pessimist attitude.

The morning went on it total tense silence it was broken by a nurse coming in to take Ember to a room where expecting women practiced for labor.

"Hello I'm nurse Jenny are you ready to practice?" She asked.

"Sure why not?" Ember said shifting and moving to the side of the bed.

Matt came over and help her up. "Thanks." Ember said grabbing the walker and followed Nurse Jenny out the room not giving Matt another glance.

He sighed and sat down his face in his hands. "What am I gonna do with her?"

"You can make her a grave next to yours." A voice said.

Matt turned he didn't have time to react as May jabbed a needle into his eye.

Matt sat up panting and sweating. "It was just a dream." He said wiping his face off.

Ember had gone with Nurse Jenny to practice for when she went into labor even though it would be months till she did.

Matt looked at his phone seeing that it was almost two hours since Ember had gone for practice.

"She should be back by now." He said getting up and walking out the room.

"Is there something wrong?" Nurse Betty asked.

"I'm just gonna walk down to check on Ember." Matt said walking to the elevator going to the third floor.

Matt walked the elevator and down where the labor ward was. He stopped in his tracks seeing it completely dark in the room.

He tried the door it didn't budge. Matt threw his weight against the door two times till it opened.

Flicking on the lights Matt stumbled back at the sight of Jenny who was dead with two scalpels in her eyes.

Matt ran out the room and to the nurses desk. "Is there a problem sir?" She asked.

"In the labor ward a nurse had been murdered and that's not all." He said.

"What else has happened?" She asked.

"My girlfriends who's pregnant is missing." He said.