Status: Completed: 22nd September 2014.

Ignite

New start.

“So I’ve lined up an interview for you in three days’ time,”

Jack’s jaw dropped at his Dad’s words, looking up at him where he sat on the sofa. What the fuck?!

“But I only graduated last week!” Jack spluttered.

“And you need to start thinking about your future! You need to start pulling your weight, Jack!” Jack’s Dad said firmly.

“And I will! But I wanted to enjoy this summer before I started working!” Jack said.

“Enjoy the summer? This isn’t high school, Jack. I already let you major in media studies, of all pathetic things, but I’m not going to stand by and let you ruin your life with no job prospects! Your mother agrees!” his dad barked.

Jack glanced over at his mother, who said smiling sadly at him. Ah. His mom only agreed to shut his dad up. Just like usual. Looks like he’d have to suck it up too, if his dad was so serious. There was no use in trying to fight something his Dad had set his mind to. He’d learnt that the hard way.

“What’s the interview for?” Jack asked politely.

“Seeing as you did that office assistant work with Bill last summer, I got you an interview for a PA job at an advertising firm. It’s got something to do with that media stuff you appear to like so you might actually have a chance,” he said gruffly.

Oh. Well that didn’t seem too bad. Jack had actually enjoyed the assistant work he’d done last summer for his dad’s college buddy Bill. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad.

“I wouldn’t think you’d need to pack much for now though,” his dad added.

“Pack much? What?” Jack frowned.

“The job is in New York – that’s where the interview is,” his dad said, staring at Jack as if he was stupid.

“New York?!” Jack choked.

“It’s a wonderful opportunity Jack! Just think about the possibilities!” his mom said quickly.

Jack gritted his teeth, forcing a smile on his face. His mom had always wanted him to be able to leave this tiny town, to get into a big city. He didn’t think she meant as far away as New York. Then again, his Dad had wanted Jack out the house as soon as he turned 18, so he wasn’t surprised his Dad found something so far away.

“Thank you. I’m grateful for the opportunity,” Jack said, only half-lying.

“So you should be,” his Dad said, nodding.


*

That was just over a week ago. Jack hadn’t actually believed the phone he’d gotten two days after the interview, saying that he’d impressed the executives and that they wanted to offer him the job. He’d been so surprised that his lack of experience had really been overlooked. He hadn’t been surprised with how quickly his Dad packed up his belongings though. Luckily, the woman from HR who’d called him about the job offer hadn’t laughed at him when he said he didn’t know the first thing about living in New York, and had sent him a list of reliable landlords to contact.

And that was how Jack ended up living on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. He couldn’t believe that he’d been living in a tiny town in Baltimore just over a week ago, and now he was in New York. All by himself. He was renting a tiny tiny one-bedroom apartment, sure, but it was affordable and clean and had several locks on the door. Utilities were including in the rent too, and he’d budgeted that he could probably afford to order take-out twice week. The landlord seemed like a nice enough guy, although completely under his wife’s thumb, but the wife was nice too, and had baked Jack a cake for moving to the city completely alone. That was a sweet gesture. The neighbours he’d seen around were friendly enough, saying hello in the mornings, even if Jack didn’t know their names. It was a bonus that the apartment had basic furnishings, including a sofa that pulled out into a bed. Y’know, if Jack ever had any visitors.

But Jack eventually had to start his new job. And that day was today. He still didn’t feel ready to start full-time work. He only graduated only two weeks ago, at the beginning of May, and his college buddies were living out the glory days of freedom, having one last incredible summer. But not Jack. Never Jack.

In his new suit, new briefcase and shiny new shoes, Jack arrived half an hour early, and waited nervously in the reception until a harried-looking guy stepped out of the elevator. Browny-blonde hair, big brown eyes, slight stubble – he looked friendly enough.

“Jack Barakat?” he asked.

Jack nodded, standing up, subtly wiping his clammy hands dry on his pants.

“Good. I’m Alex. Alex Gaskarth. I’m the other PA in our division. Marvin already gave you your pass card, right?” he asked.

Jack nodded, indicating where he’d clipped it to his inside pocket.

“Great. Don’t ever lose that. In fact, just take it everywhere you go. Now, I’m super busy today so we need to walk and talk,” Alex said.

Oh. Okay.

“You do talk, right?” Alex frowned.

“Y-Yeah,” Jack nodded, cursing himself internally for sounding so nervous.

Alex pursed his lips but gestured for Jack to follow him back into the elevator. Jack grabbed his briefcase and quickly followed, not wanting to irritate the man more than he already appeared to be.

“Alright, so you know who you’re the PA for, yeah?” Alex asked.

“Mr Merrick?” Jack offered.

Please be right…please be right…

“Yeah, Zachary Merrick. Calling him Mr Merrick is a good start though. He’ll appreciate the formality. And what do you know of your everyday role?” Alex asked.

“Answering the phone, filing paperwork, and whatever general tasks I’m asked to do?” Jack said.

“Correct. We have an hour for lunch, and you can take lunch between 12 and 2.30, either eating at your desk or you can go outside. Working hours are 8am to 6pm, and the executives insist we leave on time because they don’t want to pay us overtime. Unless, obviously, there is super important work that you haven’t finished,” Alex nodded.

Jack bit his bottom lip nervously, making Alex sigh.

“Relax, kid. Mr Merrick is a good guy. Just do whatever he says, turn up on time or even early like you are now, don’t slack off and don’t sass him, and you’ll be fine,” Alex said simply.

“I would never sass him!” Jack choked.

Alex smiled wryly, nodding his approval. Then the elevator dinged, the doors opening. Twelfth floor. Jeez.

“Alright, we’re officially called the campaign department. Mr Merrick and Mr Dawson are the two main advertising campaign managers, with 6 people in each of their teams. I’m Mr Dawson’s PA, and you’re Mr Merrick’s, obviously. We are administrators for the team on top of whatever work the managers give us, and now that you’re here my life is going to be a hell of a lot easier,”

Alex was administrating for both teams? Ouch.

“Through the doors at the end of the corridor are our combined offices. The two teams are on separate sides, and we sit in line with the team our manager manages. Our desks are just slightly behind a giant filing cabinet each, with big plants there to block us off slightly, so we’re not distracted by the general office hustle and bustle. Behind us are Mr Merrick and Mr Dawson’s offices, and they have closed-off separate offices. Their work is very important, so never just walk in. Always knock and wait for them to answer. Are you following me so far?”

“I think so,”

Alex just nodded, pushing the doors open. Jack kept his eyes fixed on Alex’s back as they walked past the team desks, not liking the whispers around him. He didn’t want to be whispered about. Jack relaxed slightly as they reached the end, slightly behind two big plants and two giant filing cabinets, like Alex said.

“This is your desk. Decorate it how you please, but for your own sake don’t clutter it. You won’t find anything. Both teams have had a big crisis with different campaigns this morning, so Mr Merrick and Mr Dawson are super busy, and I don’t have time to introduce you to them or to give you a tour,”

Oh. So he wouldn’t even meet the man he was working for? And Alex didn’t have time to give him a tour? Fuck. This was a nightmare. What the fuck was he supposed to do?

“W-What am I doing today?” Jack asked, trying not to sound upset.

“Just read the intro pack I’ve put on your desk. Your log-in username and password are in there, as are your email log-in and password. I’ve detailed the way that Zack likes his paperwork filed in each of the eight compartments of the filing cabinet, so take the time to learn that. Look in the cabinet if you need to. Learn it. There’s the history of the advertising firm, the current projects we’re working on, and all the important information you’ll need to know. Don’t worry about answering the phone today, I’ll cover them both. But I can’t answer questions, I’ve really got so much work to do. If you need the bathroom, it’s the second door on the left out of the office,”

And with that, Alex sat down at his desk, going straight to typing on his computer.

What? That was it?

Jack swallowed heavily, taking a seat down at the desk Alex said was his. It was bare and empty, save for a tray on top of the desk with what Jack assumed was the intro pack in, and his computer. This was it. This was his life now. Completely and utterly alone, completely and utterly overwhelmed. Fuck. He was such a baby. He should be able to handle this, handle the adult world. Thousands of people worked like this every day, so he could do it too, right?

With tears stinging at his eyes, Jack opened the welcome pack, scanning his eyes to find his log-in details. He could do this. He could cope. He had to.

*

“File these before you leave,”

Jack flinched slightly at the deep voice, turning his head. It was nearing 6pm now, and Jack had spent the entirety of his day in silence, not speaking a word to anyone. Alex had been constantly on the phone, or sending emails, or running about with papers in his hands, too busy to talk to him. This had honestly been the worst day of his life, completely surrounded by overwhelming emotions.

A tall man stood behind him, dark haired neatly coiffed on top of his head, broad shoulders filling out his suit nicely, frown on his handsome face. W-Who the fuck was this?

Wait, it must be Mr Merrick! Fuck!

“O-Okay, thanks,” Jack stammered.

The man frowned even more.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“Fine. I’m fine,” Jack nodded. Lie.

The man didn’t look convinced but he nodded and walked away. Jack quickly picked up the pile of papers he’d been given, flipping open the intro pack to the page where it detailed the filing preferences. Okay, this wasn’t too hard, he could totally do this. As long as he didn’t screw it up.

It actually didn’t take him long to do, and only five minutes past his official finish time of 6pm, so Jack felt pretty good about that. Well, as good as he could feel on a day like today. And Alex was already gone, leaving Jack to log-off his computer in silence, grab his bag and leave too.

Luckily, he’d already thoroughly researched his journey to and from the office, resulting in a 20 minute subway and 5 minute walk until he was able to close his front door and burst into tears.

It was a mistake to come here. He should never have left Baltimore. Working in a big company where no-one talked to him was not the life he wanted. He’d never felt so useless, so overwhelmed, so pathetic in all of his life.

“What the hell am I doing in New York?” Jack whimpered, locking the three dead bolts on his door.

He didn’t have an answer for that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh Jack :(

This is the official start to my new story! I promise it will get better, happier, from here :) I'm super excited about this story, and I can't wait to get in the swing of things!

And thank you to everyone who subscribed before I'd started! And a big thank you to Tattoo, Forever Young., Kisaurousrex and Bludgeoned.Brittany for commenting!

xo