Status: Completed: 22nd September 2014.

Ignite

Don't lie to me.

It wasn’t until August that Jack took his first vacation day off work. He didn’t take it because he had a particular event to attend or because he was too tired. And he sure as hell didn’t take one because he was looking for a new job. He just…he needed a day off. That was all. So Jack took the first Friday in August off as a vacation day, giving himself a long weekend. The first thing he’d done when he’d booked his time off work was text Jaime, as sappy as that sounds. Sure, they still weren’t together officially, but they might as well be, if Jaime’s kisses and constant public hand-holding were anything to go by. Jack had actually intended for them to spend the day together, but Jaime had been called into work for the day-shift (he worked with Vic at the restaurant) right at the last minute and he couldn’t say no – Jaime needed the money this month. And Jack couldn’t make him feel bad about that, as much as it would’ve been nice to be with him.

So instead, Jack woke up alone, way later than he usually would, not having bothered to set an alarm. It was nice actually, letting his body sleep as long as it needed to. Jack hadn’t been able to do this growing up, living in his parents’ house, his father branding it as a waste of a productive day, but Jack couldn’t care less. This was his apartment. He paid the rent. He paid the bills. He bought the food. He could do whatever he pleased.

And that ended up being sitting on the sofa in his underwear catching up on Teen Wolf. What? It was addictive. It did help that some of the guys were pretty cute in it. Well, most of the guys. But whatever.

It wasn’t until after lunch that Jack got distracted from his TV marathon, by his phone ringing. Mom. What the hell?

“Mom?”

Jack! I hope I’m not interrupting anything! I thought I’d call during your lunch hour,”

“I actually took the day off work today, so you’re not interrupting anything,”

He paused the episode, happy with the screen freezing on a shirtless Tyler Hoechlin, turning his full attention to his mom. To be fair, Jack hadn’t actually called her this week yet, so it was probably best that he paid attention.

Oh that’s good! Just the other day I was thinking…

For the next half an hour (yes, half an hour), Jack let his mom ramble away, putting in appropriate hums, saying ‘yes’ and ‘no’, the occasional comment. It wasn’t that he didn’t care about the conversation, he just knew it was easier this way. She’d let him talk when she was done, it wasn’t out of rudeness. This was just how his mom was.

So how is work going? Have you settled in well?

See?

“It’s going great, yeah. I’ve made a couple of friends, and my boss is really nice too,”

Oh that’s wonderful sweetheart! And you’re doing okay in New York?

“Yeah, it’s not so bad. I’ve been socialising,”

He couldn’t exactly say he’d been dating a guy, not until Jaime was definitely his boyfriend. He didn’t want his mom getting excited over nothing,”

Your Dad misses you, y’know,”

Woah, what the fuck?

Where did that come from?!

Bullshit. How could she say that? How could she lie so brazenly?

“Momma don’t lie to me,”

I’m not lying! He…

“No, momma. I know he doesn’t miss me. He threw a fucking party when I left, remember? It wasn’t a good luck celebration, it was a celebration for him. He doesn’t miss me, so don’t lie to me. Not after he sent me away. Not after you both sent me away,”

It wasn’t like that, Jack,”

Jack scowled. She was ridiculous. How could she always defend the man that didn't give two shits about him?

“Really? Because I can’t see it any other way. You didn’t stand up for me, not once. You just let him kick me out without saying a single damn thing,”

Jack, I…

“Save it. I have to go. Have a good weekend,”

And with that, Jack ended the call. He had to end the call, or he'd start saying things he didn't mean, things he'd regret. He wanted to feel bad for cutting her off like that, but he just couldn’t. He was so…angry. That phone call had escalated far too quickly. His dad didn’t miss him, why did she have to lie like that? Why did his mom have to lie like that to him? Why did she always defend his dad, even when he was a dick? Especially when he was a dick? Why did he deserve that?!

Jack’s phone buzzed, this time with a message. He was almost tempted to ignore it, especially if it was his mom, but he glanced at the screen anyway. Oh. It was Alex. What did Alex want?

To: Jack
From: Alex

Hey Jackalope, thought I’d text you to let you know that other than Zack pining for you, your team hasn’t collapsed yet today. But who knows, it’s only lunchtime, anything could happen this afternoon. Just wanted to ask if you wanted to come over for dinner tonight. Y’know, if you’re not being a boring old man and watching TV by yourself all day xo


Well this was a welcome distraction. Jack blushed slightly. Zack wasn’t pining for him, no way. And he wasn’t a boring old man!

To: Alex
From: Jack

Good to know my presence is sorely missed. I’m free tonight, yeah. What’s the occasion? xo


What? He didn’t want to feel guilty if he’d forgotten a birthday or something.

To: Jack
From: Alex

Apparently Jaime feels bad or something for not spending the day with you, so he’s conned Vic into cooking a full-on Mexican dinner tonight. I think Jaime is even helping Vic cook – and he never does that. You must be special. Either that or you’re really good at giving blowjobs xo


Oh God, Alex was so inappropriate!

But Jaime felt bad about not spending today with him? Jack told him it was fine! He totally understood, really. But it was a good thing that Jaime wanted to cook right? Was he really that special to him?

To: Alex
From: Jack

You’re a dick. We’re not even at that stage yet. But I’ll be there anyway. Text me when you’re home and I’ll head over xo


It would be nice to see Jaime again, if nothing else. And it would definitely be nice not to spend an evening thinking about that stupid phone call from his mom.

To: Jack
From: Alex

I’m so teasing Jaime tonight for not jumping your bones. You two are hot, you should be making babies by now. Sure, text you later xo


Alex was ridiculous. But at least he was a good friend. And Jack needed good friends around him here in New York if he wasn’t going to go home much, especially now, especially with his relationship with his parents so strained. But everything would work itself out, right? It had to. Jack didn’t know what he would do if it didn’t.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just wanted to show how difficult Jack's relationship with his parents is.
At least Alex is there to cheer him up, right?
And Jaime, obviously ;)
Zack starts finding things difficult in the next update...

Sorry this chapter took me so long, I've only just got back from my vacation in Crete! But I hope you liked it anyway! Thank you to everyone who read the last chapter, and to the following for commenting! Your feedback makes my day :)

fiction246
Tattoo
Bludgeoned.Brittany
Forever Young.

xo