Status: Completed: 22nd September 2014.

Ignite

What you saw.

It hadn’t gone unnoticed to Jack that Zack had been incredibly quiet over the past few days. Obviously he was hurting from his break-up, and that was completely understandable, and yeah, his boss wasn’t exactly the most chipper of guys on a normal basis, but this was strange. This was strange even for Zack. Barely speaking, spark gone from his eyes, not even a hint of a smile. The only brief moment, a flicker of happiness, was the day that Zack’s new coffee table was ordered, Zack sending him a ‘thank you’ email. Jack had even confessed his concerns to Alex, and all Alex had said was that Zack was healing and he would eventually get back to normal. Jack knew that already. He just hoped it would be soon.

Today was already quite frantic, so Jack didn’t particularly have time to dwell on anything other than his work. Campaign deadlines were coming up, and deliveries of important paperwork were due, and Jack was desperately trying to make sure he had everything organised, signed and shipped out. It was his first big test since arriving four months ago, and so far he was doing okay. Well, he hoped so anyway. It didn’t help that Alex seemed to have caught the flu overnight, and had been sneezing all morning, not making anyone less stressed.

It was around 10am when the first packs of papers were delivered, including a pack that Alex had complained about being late on arrival in the first place. Something about delivery companies pushing their luck and Rian being pissed about it. Typically though, when they actually arrived, Alex wasn’t at his desk, so Jack had to sign for them. Great.

Where the fuck was Alex?!

“Hey, John, if my phone rings, can you answer it? I’ve just got to run these papers into Mr Dawson’s office,” Jack asked hopefully.

“Yeah sure, no problem. Where’s Alex when you need him, right?” John mused.

Jack just laughed, nodding, before heading back to his desk. He grabbed the pack and walked over to Rian’s door. He’d never actually seen the inside of Rian’s office, but he guessed it couldn’t be that different to Zack’s. Following the unspoken rule of knocking on Rian (and Zack’s) door, Jack waited patiently for Rian to answer.

Uh, who is it?” Rian called out.

Huh.

“It’s Jack. Those papers you’ve been waiting for have finally arrived?” Jack replied.

Oh, yeah, okay! Come in!

Jack smiled and opened the door, shutting it behind him as he walked over to Rian’s desk. Strangely enough, Rian looked a little flustered, his cheeks slightly red. Huh. Jack hoped he wasn’t catching Alex’s flu. That would really suck around these deadlines.

“I’ve signed for them and checked they’re all here from what Alex has told me, so you should be uptodate now,” Jack said cheerfully.

“Thanks,” Rian nodded, taking the pack from Jack.

Then Jack heard a sneeze. It didn’t come from him. And it didn’t come from Rian. Oh God. Oh God Oh God. No. It couldn’t be…

Jack glanced down at Rian’s desk, and then back at Rian, who looked mortified.

Oh God. How stupid was he?!

“I’m, uh, gonna go…um, answer my phone,” Jack spluttered.

And he all but ran out of there, trying to keep as neutral a face as possible as he shut Rian’s office door and walked calmly out of the office into the kitchen next door. Thankfully no-one was in there, letting Jack slump against the cabinet with his hand over his mouth.

That sneeze could’ve come from only one person. One person.

Alex and Rian?! How could he not have seen it? How could he have been so stupid?! All the hints, all Alex’s teasing, it all adds up. How was he so blind and naïve?! He’d never felt more like an idiot, and that was saying something. Fuck.

“Hey,”

Jack flinched at the voice, looking sharply to his right to see Zack shutting the kitchen door behind himself.

“Um, I was just getting a drink, because I’m thirsty and, uh…”

“Rian emailed me,” Zack interrupted.

“Oh God. I swear, I mean, I just…”

Jack trailed off, looking at the wary nature of Zack’s eyes. Zack already knew.

“You knew about them?” Jack asked softly.

“Of course I knew, Rian is my best friend,” Zack nodded.

Jack whimpered, running a hand over his hair. What the fuck was he meant to do?

“I feel like such an idiot. I don’t know what I’m meant to say or do or…

“You say nothing,” Zack interrupted.

“Nothing?” Jack frowned.

"Nothing. Rian got in trouble when he first started here because of ‘inappropriate flirting’ with a female co-worker,” Zack explained, “Cass, the girl, left the company but I stuck up for Rian so he kept his job. If Saporta or Wentz found out then both of them would be fired in a second,”

Alex could lose his job over this. Alex could lose his job…and he still did it?

“Fuck,” Jack mumbled.

What the hell was going through Alex’s head?

“Yeah,” Zack sighed.

“Does anyone else know?” Jack asked.

“Not exactly. It’s contained within the two teams in here but no-one talks about it because they have no proof, just elongated glances and smirks,” Zack replied, shaking his head.

Of course. Of course it was. Jack really was the only oblivious one. How could he really be this stupid?

“They need to be careful. They’re lucky it was me,” Jack frowned.

Zack smiled sadly. “Yeah I know. I’ll talk to Rian – but you’ll keep this secret?”

Jack sighed but nodded.

“Yeah, I’ll keep it a secret,” Jack muttered.

Why, he didn’t know. But maybe it was because Zack felt so strongly about it. If his boss wanted him to keep it a secret, then he should, right? For Alex’s sake, if nothing else.

“Thanks, Jack. I’ll see you later, yeah?” Zack said.

Jack just nodded, Zack leaving him. He stayed in the kitchen for a few more seconds before walking back to his desk.

“Hey, you didn’t get any calls, by the way,” John mused as he walked past.

“Oh good. Thanks for watching out anyway,” Jack said, forcing a smile.

“Why did you run to the kitchen?” John asked curiously.

Crap. Think Jack!

“I got a nasty papercut on my finger as I passed the pack over. Typical right?” Jack said, faking a laugh.

“Typical,” John agreed, laughing too.

As soon as Jack was back at his desk, he groaned softly. He hated lying. And he hated lying when it was actually wrong. But what could he do? He didn’t want Alex to lose his job. And he didn’t want to disappoint Zack.

Checking his emails, Jack saw he had one from Zack. Hesitantly, he opened it.

To: Jack.Barakat
From: Zachary.Merrick
Subject: Paper delivery

Hey,

I just wanted to thank you for promising to keep it quiet. I know they’re both stupid to do what they do, but it’s their choice. It’s okay for you to freak-out about what you saw, but please don’t freak-out in public. If you need to vent, or ask questions, or just to escape from your thoughts about it, then do come into my office and see me.

I hope you’re okay,
Zack.


Jack just sighed. Yeah, he really wasn’t having a good day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh dear.
Jack really is oblivious, isn't he?
Looks like Alex and Rian have some explaining to do...
Zack's a good friend though, right?

I've officially started my Zack/Martin story! Go check it out! :)

Thank you to everyone who read the last chapter, and to the following who commented! I really do appreciate your feedback and thoughts, so keep it coming!

heroes. (omg you had me crying with laughter!)
xMareBear14x
fiction246
f0reverbr0ken
Tattoo
causeiamrandom
Forever Young.
Bludgeoned.Brittany

xo