Status: Completed: 22nd September 2014.

Ignite

What really happened?

As soon as Jack was in work on Monday, he felt Alex’s eyes glued to him. He knew Alex would know what happened. He knew Jaime would tell his best friend Vic and that Vic would rant at Alex. He knew.

He didn’t know how much it would hurt to have Alex silently judging him though.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look at things), Jack was so busy that morning, completely tied up with calls so it meant that Alex couldn’t talk to him, not until lunchtime. Jack had been trying to mentally prepare himself for this while he was working, even to the point where Zack asked him if he was alright when he delivered him coffee (obviously Jack lied and said he was absolutely 100% fine). But it was no use. There was no way he could prepare himself for everything he deserved from Alex.

And as soon as it hit lunchtime, Alex came and stood next to Jack’s desk, staring him down until he sighed.

“Not here, yeah?” Jack said softly.

“Obviously,” Alex snorted.

Well that was unnecessary.

Jack just sighed again, indicating for Alex to lead the way. After a 10 minute walk of silence, Alex and Jack ended up in a secluded booth in a nearby diner, and as soon as their food arrived, Alex zeroed in.

“What the fuck were you thinking?” Alex asked simply.

Ouch.

“Tell me what Jaime said and I’ll fill in from there,” Jack said quietly.

“He said that he broke up with you because you like another guy,” Alex shrugged.

Ouch.

But at least Jaime had left out the worst details.

“That’s not really how it happened,”

“But it’s essentially true?” Alex pushed.

“Look, you don’t get to judge me, okay?” Jack snapped.

Alex raised an eyebrow but nodded. Good.

“So what really happened?” Alex asked.

“I don’t really want to talk about it,” Jack said simply.

“I can’t judge, remember? Besides, it’s not like I’m going to tell anyone anyway,” Alex replied.

Jack sighed. He guess he had to tell someone. And who better to tell than Alex?

“Fine. But no interrupting,”

Alex just nodded.

“Um, we got drunk at the bar, obviously. Came back and finally had sex. After sex Jaime asked me who I was thinking about because I clearly wasn’t into it until I closed my eyes. After that he made the suggestion that we don’t see each other anymore and I agreed. I set up the sofa bed for him because it was too late for him to leave safely, and he was gone when I woke up,”

Alex winced. Well. That was an appropriate reaction, even if it was the heavily edited version of events.

“Shit, Jack. You were thinking about someone else during sex?” Alex said softly.

“Not intentionally! It was all quite a blur, to be honest. I don’t remember thinking about someone else, but you knew my doubts about our relationship. Apparently I couldn’t hide them as well when I was drunk,”

“Well that explained why Jaime really was so upset then,” Alex said.

“Fuck,” Jack groaned, running his hand over his head.

Alex just smiled sadly at him. “It was Zack, wasn’t it?”

“I don’t know. Probably. I don’t know anyone else it could’ve been,” Jack shrugged pathetically.

“Did you tell Jaime that?”

“No,”

“Does Zack know anything?”

“No!”

“Then what the fuck are you doing?” Alex exasperated.

Jack didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. “I have no idea. All I know is that I lost the nicest guy I’ve ever dated over a stupid unrequited crush on my boss. My life officially sucks ass,”

“Actually, sucking ass is quite nice but…”

“Not the time, Alex,” Jack interrupted, grimacing.

Seriously. Completely inappropriate. Alex just smirked slightly.

“Just trying to help,” Alex shrugged.

Jack tried to smile but it probably came out as a grimace. Y’know, due to the fact he was fucking miserable.

“Everything happens for a reason, y’know?” Alex said.

“I wish I knew what that damn reason was right now,” Jack sighed.

*

It took all of 10 minutes for Zack to email him after lunch. Damn Alex and his big mouth to Mr Dawson. Damn it all. Alex had promised he wouldn't tell anyone!

Then again, could Jack really be surprised that Alex told Rian? Really?

With a sigh, Jack clicked to open it, settling back in his chair.

~

To: Jack.Barakat
From: Zachary.Merrick
Subject: I’m sorry


Dear Jack,

I have been informed that you went through a break-up with your boyfriend this morning. I do not know details nor do I wish to know, because I do not want to pry into your private life without your permission. I just wanted to say I’m sorry that it happened and I hope you feel better soon.

If you need the rest of the day off, please let me know. If you want to rant or cry or just escape, then you are welcome to sit in my office. If you need anything, please message me or come to me directly.

You’re important, okay?

I’ll be out in a few minutes with some more filing.
Zack.

~

Jack blinked a few times, mouth twisting into a frown. You’re important, okay? What the fuck was that meant to mean?

“Here are the files, Jack,”

Jack broke out of his thoughts, looking up to see Zack standing over him.

“Oh. Thanks. And, um, thanks,” Jack said, gesturing towards his computer.

Zack just smiled slightly, squeezing Jack’s shoulder, before walking back to his office. Jack didn’t realise he was holding his breath until Zack’s door shut, and he let out a shaky breath, shoulder still warm where Zack’s hand had been. What…what was happening to him? What the hell was wrong with him?
♠ ♠ ♠
Huh.
You're important, okay?
That's a leading statement...
Rian and Zack have a heart to heart in the next chapter!

Thank you to everyone who read the last chapter, and to the following for commenting! Please keep your feedback coming, I really do appreciate it!

I'd.Be.Your.Tears
fiction246
Tattoo
mi_sangre
causeiamrandom
Forever Young.

xo