Status: Completed: 22nd September 2014.

Ignite

Make this work.

Of course. Of course Jack was running late on his first day back in for the new year. Why? Because he was over at Zack’s last night (two nights in a row, but who’s counting?) and Zack had been a massive distraction this morning. Seriously, how was Jack meant to resist when Zack started mouthing at his neck? Even so, Jack had barely enough time to shower and get dressed into the suit he’d hastily packed in the brief time he’d returned to his apartment on New Year’s Day before he’d gone back to Zack’s, and now…now he was running late.

Damn it Zack.

Zack had decided to give Jack a five minute head start into the office, so no-one got suspicious, but as Jack walked through the doors of their department, it looked like chaos had erupted. The majority of Zack’s team and Rian’s team were running around with papers like headless chickens, a couple of them on their phones, which made Jack panic because this was not how he expected his new year to start. Fuck. What campaign had gone wrong?!

As soon as Jenna noticed him enter, she slammed her phone down.

“Why haven’t you been answering your phone?” she demanded.

Jack winced. His phone had died last night, and Zack didn’t have a spare charger. Whoops.

“Uh, it died. Sorry. Why?” Jack frowned.

“Fuck, so Alex didn’t get hold of you at all then,” she groaned.

Alex?

“Seriously, what’s happened?” Jack asked.

“You need to go up to Mr Saporta’s office, now,” she said desperately.

Executive Saporta? Seriously, what the fuck is going on?!

“Why? What’s happened?” Jack asked.

Jenna winced. “Marcie from accounts walked right into Mr Dawson’s office without knocking and caught Mr Dawson fucking Alex over the desk. She went straight to Mr Saporta, and Alex and Mr Dawson are up there now,”

Oh God. Oh God Oh God. This was exactly what Jack had warned Alex about. Fuck!

Holy shit. How…How could they have been so careless?!

“Fuck. Okay, I’m going now. Can you get John to watch the phones?” Jack asked.

Jenna just nodded, so Jack rushed to dump his coat, scarf and bag down at his desk, before rushing back out of the office. As Jack got to the elevator, the doors opened to reveal Zack…who smiled until he noticed Jack’s frantic expression.

“Hey, what’s wrong? What’s going on?” Zack frowned.

Jack planted a hand on his chest and pushed him back into the elevator, thumb jabbing the button for the floor above.

“Alex and Rian got caught. They’re in with Mr Saporta right now. Everyone’s been trying to get in contact with us to help,” Jack mumbled, burying his face in Zack’s neck.

“Shit,” Zack said, paling slightly.

If anyone could make sense of this situation, it was Zack. Zack would know what to do. Zack’s squeezed his hips, making Jack pull back.

“How could they be so careless?” Zack murmured.

“I don’t know. I don’t know and I don’t know what to do about it! They’ll lose their jobs!” Jack whimpered.

Alex would lose everything.

“Ssh, ssh, we’ll figure out something, okay?” Zack soothed, pecking a kiss to Jack’s forehead, “But we’re going to have to lie, can you do that?”

Jack just nodded, stepping away as the elevator came to a stop. If it meant helping his friend, Jack could lie. Zack led the way to Mr Saporta’s office, Jack following meekly, not looking anyone in the eyes. He couldn’t believe that this situation was actually happening. Alex had always promised that they were so careful. Fuck.

Zack knocked on a door at the end of the hallway, waiting for a gruff ‘come in!’ before entering. Jack followed, eyes landing on Alex, who looked shaky and pale, with red-rimmed eyes. Fuck, he’d been crying, like really crying. What had they said to him?!

“Zachary! I didn’t expect to see you!” Mr Saporta said cheerfully.

Cheerful? What the fuck was wrong with this guy?

Oh, and hi, by the way. Jack was here too.

“Well Gabe, when I get in on the first day of the new year, only to see my department in chaos because you’ve pulled out the two most important members, sue me for being a little curious,” Zack retorted.

Jack inhaled sharply. He would never sass someone like that.

The man just frowned. “I understand your concern, but it was a necessary decision. Rian and Alex committed a serious infraction and this needs to be addressed,”

Alex just looked like he was going to throw up.

“This is bullshit, Gabe, and you know it,” Zack growled.

“Zack…” Rian sighed.

“No, Rian. Gabe’s going to ruin yours and Alex’s careers over what one woman claimed she saw? What the hell?!” Zack said angrily.

“Calm yourself, Zachary. Marcie is not a liar,” Mr Saporta warned.

Zack just scowled, only making Jack even more worried. This…This was not how he expected this to go. At all.

“Jack, step forward please,”

W-What?

First the Executive Director doesn’t even acknowledge him stepping into the room, and now he wants to talk to him?!

Zack nodded at Jack, so Jack stepped closer to the desk, trying not to look at either Alex or Rian.

“Did you know anything about the physical relationship between Rian and Alex, Jack?”

Holy shit. That was blunt. Jack just swallowed heavily.

“I work closely with Alex, every day. I have never seen Alex go into Mr Dawson’s office for any length longer than necessary to deliver any memos or files. Mr Dawson’s office is closer to our desks than Mr Merrick’s, so I would know if this was more than a heat-of-the-moment one time passion. They have never been any more than completely professional in the 6 months I’ve been working here,”

Holy shit. He just completely and utterly lied without hesitation. Mr Saporta stayed silent for a couple of seconds, before looking up at Zack.

“Zachary?” he eventually said.

“I concur with Jack. Rian is the hardest working person I know and Alex is the best PA we’ve got. No offence Jack,”

“None taken,” Jack shrugged.

“I thank the both of you for your input. However, this is Rian’s second offence and that cannot be taken lightly,” Mr Saporta said simply.

Jack snuck a glance at Alex, but Alex was staring firmly at the floor, hands gripping his chair so tightly that his knuckles were white. Fuck. Alex was going to get fired. Fuck, what was Jack supposed to do then?!

Then Jack had an idea. An idea that would change everything and would pretty much ruin his life, but it would save Alex’s job.

“May I make a suggestion?” Jack blurted.

“Uh, sure,” Mr Saporta said, frowning.

Zack mouthed ‘what the fuck?’ to him, but Jack looked away. Here goes nothing.

“Instead of firing Mr Dawson and Alex, because they’re both exemplary employees, perhaps they should be split up?”

Multiple-whats?!

But Jack ignored that as well.

“How about, if Alex and I swap roles, he becomes Mr Merrick’s PA and I become Mr Dawson’s PA? That way everyone keeps their job but the temptation of constant contact is taken away,” Jack rambled.

Fuck.

Jack didn’t dare look at Zack. Fuck, he should’ve thought this through. He really should’ve thought before speaking. Fuck.

“Is there a particular reason you don’t want to work for Zachary anymore?” Mr Saporta asked dryly.

Jack fought not to blush. “Of course not, he’s an amazing boss. I just know how much working here means to Alex and Mr Dawson. I think this is the best option for everyone,”

Holy shit. There it was. He’d said it. It was out of Jack’s hands now.

It seemed like an age before Mr Saporta said anything, just a tense silence where Jack didn’t dare to look at any of the men around him. He couldn’t look. He knew he’d crack if he looked at Zack, so he just couldn’t.

“Very well Jack, I accept your proposal. As of today, Alex will work for you, Zachary, and Jack will work for you, Rian. This is your last chance. I will not be so lenient again,”

Lenient?!

Alex shot to his feet, frantically nodding, and Rian’s were just wide in surprise. Wow. They were both convinced that they were losing their jobs. Fuck.

“You may all leave. I expect your departments need you back by now. Zachary, I’ll leave it in your hands to organise the move,”

Rian winced, but led them out. He wasn’t going to be trusted for a while. As soon as they were in the elevator, Alex burst into tears, collapsing against Jack.

“Hey, hey, you’re okay now,” Jack soothed, glaring at Rian, who only looked miserable.

“Thank you. Thank you so much,” Alex choked.

“You’d do it for me,” Jack said softly.

Because Alex would, he knew that.

Alex sniffed and nodded, stepping away from Jack to hug Rian…leaving Jack with Zack.

“Why don’t you want to work for me? Did I do something wrong?” Zack asked softly.

The elevator stopped right then, giving Jack to chance to step out, but Zack held his arm back as Rian and Alex moved past.

“Why, Jack?” Zack demanded.

But Zack wasn’t angry. In his eyes, there was hurt. Fuck. That was not what Zack was meant to get from this.

“I don’t want to end up like Alex and Rian. I know you and I know me, and I know that there will be a time where I can’t resist you and you can’t keep your hands off me, and I’d rather not get caught,”

Zack choked a laugh, nodding his agreement. Jack smiled in relief, and continued.

“If we split up from working together like they need to, then the suspicion will be taken away. I think it’ll just be better in the long run. Y’know, so we can keep ourselves professional at work and save all the fun for outside,”

“Fun for outside, huh?” Zack smirked, stepping closer to Jack and putting both hands on his hips.

“Zack! Stop it!” Jack hissed, glancing around to see if anyone saw.

No-one was around, but still!

“Well I’m no longer your boss, I can do what I like,” Zack grinned.

So not the point. Jack just rolled his eyes and kissed Zack quickly before stepping backwards.

“We have to do this, y’know. For Alex and Rian,”

“Rian owes me so many beers,” Zack groaned, tilting his head back.

Jack eyed the exposed skin, long and taught, but snapped himself out of those thoughts before they got dangerous.

“Well I’m sure Rian and I will have to work late after work at some point…and I’m sure I’ll find a reason to be in your office…”

“…and I’m sure I can send Alex to Rian’s office to fetch me some files…” Zack grinned, catching on.

Jack grinned back, hand running down Zack’s chest before he stepped away properly this time.

“We can make this work,” Jack said firmly.

“We’ll have to, because I’m not letting you go any time soon,” Zack nodded.

Jack’s breath hitched in his throat. He would never tire of hearing that.

“Come to my office for one last…debriefing?” Zack smirked, “pun fully intended,”

Jack groaned. “You are the worst! I will not miss your jokes!”

Zack just laughed. “Dinner tonight? My place?”

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world,” Jack said, smiling.
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END!

I will really miss this story! Really and truly! I've wanted to write a PA/Boss fic for a while, so I hope you guys enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! 6 months down the line, and I couldn't be happier :)

I'm tempted to do a fluffy one-shot coda? As a sequel? If you're interested!

xo