Status: Completed: 22nd September 2014.

Ignite

Martin Johnson.

Everything had been going so well for Jack. He’d had a great weekend, sleeping in late and pigging out on Chinese take-out on Saturday, and meeting up with Alex for brunch on Sunday (which was really nice actually). And Monday back at work, his second week, had been great too, nothing going wrong, submitting his first staff holiday form from Danny Kurily to Zack for approval without cocking it up, so he was happy.

But when his desk phone rang on Tuesday morning, a call from the Reception desk, everything changed.

“Good morning Patricia. How can I help?” Jack said politely.

“Martin Johnson is here to see Mr Merrick,” she announced.

Oh shit. Martin Johnson? The mysterious Martin Johnson?

Then Jack remembered the strict instruction Zack had told him first thing this morning.

~

“Under no circumstances should anyone come into my office today. And I don’t want to talk to anyone, so no calls either,” Zack grunted.

Jack looked up from his desk, surprised. What had made his boss so angry?

“O-Okay. I’ll email the other heads of department that you are unavailable for contact today,” Jack said, frowning slightly.

Zack just nodded before storming into his office. What the fuck?!


~

“Mr Merrick is not receiving visitors today. He has an enormous workload and can’t be disrupted,” Jack explained.

Yes, that was the excuse he’d been telling everyone.

“Okay, thank you Jack. I will inform Mr Johnson now,”

Jack thanked her before putting the phone down. This was not what he’d expected. Why was Zack’s friend actually here to see him?

“What was that?” Alex murmured.

“Mr Johnson is here to see Mr Merrick, but Mr Merrick isn’t seeing anyone at all today,” Jack explained.

Alex frowned slightly but nodded, returning to his work. Then Jack’s phone rang again. Reception desk? Again?

“Patricia? Is everything okay?” Jack frowned.

“I’m really sorry Jack, but Mr Johnson wouldn’t take no for an answer. He stormed past me and up the elevator before I could stop him. Do you want me to call security?” she asked worriedly.

Jack groaned. As unhappy as Zack is today, he doubted he’d want security called on his friend. Fantastic.

“No, it’s okay. I’ll just inform Mr Merrick. Thanks, Patricia,” Jack sighed.

Jack put the phone down and ran his hand over his head. An angry boss and his pissed off friend. This is not what Jack was hired for. Or was it?

But just as Jack picked up the phone, the office door slammed open, revealing a very irritated looking man. Martin Johnson?

Jack’s question was answered as the man stormed up the office to where Jack was sitting.

“Is Zack in his office?” the man demanded.

“Y-Yes, but he’s not receiving visitors today,” Jack stammered.

“What are you, his mother?” the man snapped.

Jack flinched slightly but stood up, standing in the man’s way. What the fuck was he doing?! Jack didn’t do confrontation ever! Especially with angry (albeit incredibly hot) men!

“I’m sorry, but I can’t let you through to see Mr Merrick. He’s incredibly busy and can’t be disturbed today,” Jack said calmly.

“Fuck you, I bet he’s told you that he just doesn’t want to see me, hasn’t he?” the man snapped.

“N-No, not exactly, but…”

“Well you can tell your precious boss that I am not leaving until I speak to him,” the man retorted, folding his arms over his chest.

“U-Um, I…”

“Fuck, are you stupid? Call him! Let him know!”

Tears stung at Jack’s eyes, but he reached down to his phone. Fuck everything. He did not get paid enough for this.

“That won’t be necessary, Martin, because you’re leaving,”

Zack! Oh thank fuck.

“But we need to talk!” Martin insisted.

“Not in my workplace. Leave now, or I’ll call security. And don’t you dare ever come to my office again,” Zack growled.

Jack inhaled sharply. Was it wrong that he found angry Zack really hot? Yes, of course it’s wrong.

“I mean it, Martin. Get out of my office!” Zack seethed.

Martin narrowed his (piercing blue) eyes. “Fine. But don’t think this is the end of it!”

Zack just scowled as Martin stormed out of the office, waiting until he’d left to turn to Jack. Jack just swallowed heavily.

“I told him not to come up, I swear,” Jack insisted.

Fuck. Fuck his life.

Please don’t fire me. Please don’t fire me. Please don’t…

“Hey, it’s okay, I know you did. I’m sorry he bitched at you – you didn’t deserve that. Fuck. Um, go take a coffee break,” Zack sighed.

Jack just nodded, quickly locking his computer before he walked out of the office into the kitchenette next door. Within seconds, Alex walked in too, and shut the door.

“Hey, I emailed Zack as soon as Martin started bitching," Alex said.

Well that explained why Zack came out of his office. That was nice of Alex to do.

"Thanks," Jack mumbled.

"Are you okay?” Alex asked worriedly.

“I guess so,” Jack said, cracking a weak smile.

“Don’t let Martin get to you, okay? Ri…Mr Dawson said that Martin and Mr Merrick had an argument this morning, that’s why Mr Merrick was angry when he came in. Martin’s usually not that bad,” Alex said softly.

“Does he come here a lot then?” Jack asked.

Fuck, he didn’t think he could face that man again anytime soon.

“Not a lot, especially when they’re on a break, but sometimes,” Alex nodded.

“On a break?” Jack frowned.

Alex raised an eyebrow. “Did Mr Merrick not tell you who Martin is?”

Jack just shook his head. Was it important?

“Mr Merrick and Martin have been dating on and off for longer than I’ve ever worked here. For the entire time he’s worked here, actually,”

Oh. Oh. Well now everything made sense.

But wait…that was the kind of guy Mr Merrick went for? Someone who bitched at a stranger like that? How could…how could he like someone like that?

Fuck.

If that was the type of person someone like Zack wanted to be with, then how could Jack ever have a chance with someone like Zack? This wasn’t fair! Why did nice guys like Jack never get the hot guy?

No, Jack wasn’t going to get upset about this. Zack is his boss and he’s entitled to date whoever he wants. Whatever he wants. Such a stupid stupid daydream fantasy, that Zack could find someone as pathetic as Jack attractive.

“Are you really okay?” Alex frowned.

“Not really,” Jack sighed.

“Do you want to come round mine for dinner tomorrow night?” Alex asked.

“W-What?” Jack asked, confused.

“My flatmate Vic is cooking for his friends tomorrow night, and I want you to come home with me to eat with us. It might take your mind off things,” Alex explained.

That…That would be nice. Really nice.

“Your flatmate won’t mind?” Jack asked hesitantly.

“Hell no, Vic loves having people round – and he’s a really good cook. He works in a fancy restaurant, only as a waiter, but he helps out in the kitchen sometimes because that’s where his heart is,”

“Okay. If you’re sure,” Jack nodded.

“That’s the spirit. Vic will love you, I promise. And his friend Jaime will really love you,” Alex grinned.

His friend? Why would his friend…oh. Well, that might be nice.

Jack couldn’t help but blush, making Alex laugh.

“Knew it would make you feel better. Come on, get back to your desk and I’ll make us some coffee,” Alex said cheerfully.

“Thanks, Alex. I really appreciate it,” Jack said.

He really appreciated everything.

“What are friends for?” Alex smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh dear.
Zack and Martin are having an argument :(
Poor Jack!
I promise Martin won't always be so bitchy! But you needed to see that side of him lol.

Thank you to everyone who read the last chapter and to the following who commented! I love that you're loving this haha. Please keep your feedback coming!

fiction246
I’d.Be.Your.Tears
Forever Young
Tattoo
Bludgeoned.Brittany
achondro
f0reverbr0ken

xo