Anxious Hearts and Anxious Minds

But there's a monster standing where you should be

'Hey mum.' I smile into my phone, watching jack strum his guitar, 'hey sweetie, how are you?' she asks, 'okay, how are you?' I say quietly, 'I'm okay honey, how are you feeling about being away from home tomorrow baby?' she asks, 'a bit crappy. It's difficult, you know?' I sigh, 'I know honey, but don't let it bother you, you have jack now, you're not alone.' she says softly, 'I know.' I nod even though she can't see me.

-

'honey, before I go can I talk to Jack?' my mum asks, 'um yeah, sure, jack, babe, my mum wants to talk to you.' I shrug and throw him my phone, 'hi.' he answers.

-jacks POV-

'hey sweetie, just get away from lex for a minute.' Isobel says quietly, I stand up and walk over to our bathroom, 'what's up?' I ask, 'jack, has Alex told you about Tom?' she asks, 'no.' I mumble, 'he was his brother. He died when Alex was young.' she sigh, 'yeah, I do know about that, I just never knew his name.' I say quietly, 'oh, well its the anniversary of Toms death tomorrow. I just wanted you to know. Please don't leave Alex alone and be gentle and caring with him.' she sighs, 'shit. Okay. I will, I promise.' I sigh.

-Alex's POV-

Jack hands me my phone and I say bye to my mum and hang up, 'what did she want?' I ask jack, 'don't worry about it sweetheart.' he whispers and sits down next to me, wrapping his arms around me, 'I love you.' he breathes and I smile, 'I love you too jacky.' I whisper.

(next day)

I wake up to find jack gone, I sigh, knowing he probably had an attack or Kathryn needed to see him.
After a few minutes of lying in bed, the door opens, 'oh, you're awake.' jack chuckles, 'yeah babe, where've you been?' I ask, turning round and laughing, he has a tray of food, 'brought you breakfast.' he shrugs, 'you're cute.' I smile and he gets into bed next to me, 'are you okay?' he asks, 'yeah honey.' I smile and kiss his cheek.

(later on)

'Alex, come here.' jack sighs and I rush over, he wraps his arms around me and I sigh, 'I'm sorry, it's just-' he cuts me off, 'it's fine baby. I know, your mum told me.' he whispers, stroking my hair, 'oh.' I breathe, 'it's okay to miss him Alex. I'm gonna be right here holding you.' he whispers, 'I love you.' I sigh.