It Was A Lie When They Smiled And Said You Won't Feel A Thing

Chapter 32: This Poison's My Intoxication

****Bob POV****
I waved back to the rest of the group as I turned down the street my doctor's office was on.
As soon as I walked into the hall, I looked for my doctor's name on the directory. "378" I said to myself. I walked over to the silver doors, leading to the elevator. I pressed the '3' button on the wall and watched the elevator doors close. A sudden jerk and I was moving, another, and I was on the third floor.
I walked up to the door that had the numbers 378 on it. "Please sign in, sir." said a lady in pink, sitting at the desk nearby. I signed in and sat down.
Fifteen minutes later a nurse comes out and says, "Bob Bryar?"
"Here we go" I said under my breath. I got up and walked over to the nurse. She led me to my examination room.
"I'll be doing a finger prick, blood pressure, and I'm going to need a urine sample."
I groaned. I hated the doctor so much. I held out my finger for the finger prick. I flinched when I felt it. Next she took my blood pressure. Finally I went into the bathroom to give her a 'urine sample'. Why can't they just call it pee in a cup? No they have to get technical.
"Ok, just put these sheets on and the doctor will be in momentarily." The nurse said as she handed me some clothing, with an opening in the back. It sucked.

Soon the doctor came in. "Hi Bob. I'm Dr. Cheroskii."
"Hi."
In a split second, he had his hand on my back with that cold stethoscope. I winced when I felt it hit my skin. He did a couple of things, gave me a shot, checked my reflexes, weight, all that. He also gave me a chest X-ray, which was weird, cause he never does that.
I sat reading an old magazine in the examination room. Dr. Cheroskii walked in and had a very disappointed look on his face.
"What's wrong doc?"
"I don't know how to say this Bob...."
"What?" I got very concerned.
"Well, Bob, you have lung cancer."
I just went wide eyed and couldn't speak easily.
"c-c-c-c-cancer?"
He nodded. "It's a very bad case of it too. Do you smoke"
"Yes."
He put the X-ray on the light board. He pointed to several areas where the cancer was located. "And your going to have to get surgery to remove it. It will not be a very easy surgery."
"What happens if I don't do the surgery?"
"You will only have about a year to live. The cancer will soon spread to your heart, and slowly destroy your body. It is necessary to do this surgery as soon as possible."
I took a deep breath and continued to listen.
"There really is no other way out."
"Ok....I'll do the surgery."
"Alright, but I must warn you, many people have died from such a serious surgery."
"Either way, I might die." I said as I walked out. "I'll call you or more information tonight Mr. Bryar." said Dr. Cheroskii.
I got outside and leaned on the brick wall. "How the hell am I going to break this to the guys?"