It Was A Lie When They Smiled And Said You Won't Feel A Thing

Chapter 40: Broken Bottles

I was there in the hall just sitting there watching the nurses and doctors walk in and out of the OR where Frank was.
All I could do was think about all the good times I’ve had with Frank.

Ok, so your probably wondering what the hell happened to Frank, well I’ll tell you. Kate and I got back from outside. Bob was back. We were all telling jokes. For about an hour everyone was fine.
Suddenly Frank started to grab his side. He grasped it and winced loudly. I asked him what was wrong. He said nothing, he’s so stubborn. Five minutes later he’s lying on the floor crying in agony from the pain. Ray yelled for a nurse. They pulled him into a MRI. They said that his appendix exploded inside him. I thought, ‘Oh, well that’s not that bad!’ Well, I was wrong. They went on and said because of the appendix, it caused other organs to be damaged. That caused internal bleeding. The organs are now all weak and hurt, which means that there’s a slight chance that they won’t ever work properly again. They also said that if he didn’t go into surgery immediately, he would be dead. I looked into Frank’s eyes and squeezed his hand tight. They took blood like they did from Bob. I cried, he cried, everyone cried.
That’s practically the story. Pretty simple right? Well, you would of thought different if you were here.
So here I am, sitting in the busy hallway, crying my eyes out in my knees, with no one there with me. No one’s shirt to cry into. The other’s offered to come and sit with me, but I told them that it wouldn’t help.
This place felt like hell without Frank. I listened closely, the constant beep was heard. I heard the mumbling of the doctors saying things like “Hang in there Frank” or “Your doing pretty good Frank.”
Soon I heard the doctors speeding in their paces and their shoes scuffle on the floor. One nurse came out covered in Frank’s blood. I jumped up and demanded, “What’s going on!”
“I’m sorry miss, we can’t tell you.”
“No! You will tell me right now! TELL ME WHAT’S GOING ON!”
“I’m sorry I can’t!”
I looked at the two swinging doors. I started to inch to them.
“Miss, you can’t go in there! Miss!! SECURITY!”
Next thing I knew I was squirming out of the grip of two big men that were pulling me into the waiting room.
“LET ME GO! MY BOYFRIEND IS IN THE OR, AND YOU HAVE TO LET ME GO! AND, AND, AND, I LOVE HIM!!!!”
The two men completely ignored me and threw me into a chair next to the others. As soon as they said “Stay here.” And left, I got up and ran toward the doors were they took Frank.
The two men chased after me and did the same to me. This time they stayed in the doorway for about five minutes. Then they left and I decided to stay put.
I tried hard not to look weak in front of the others. I tried so hard not to cry. My eyes burned from the hesitation.
Then a doctor covered in blood came in. He called my name.
I knew exactly what this meant. When the doctor came out with blood on his coat, it meant that you were to say your goodbyes.
My heart stopped. I looked up at the doctor with tearful eyes. He took a deep breath and said, “He’s probably going to be fine.”
probably The word echoed in my mind.
“Probably?”
“Yea.”

****One hour later****
Bob was getting ready for his surgery.
Probably
The doctor came back, nice and clean. “Frank’s doing just fine! You can come in and see him if you like?”
Bob came, they said he had at least another half hour.
We walked into the hospital room. I was last to walk in. I closed the door behind me and looked up at Frank. He had so many wires and tubes attached to him. My eyes widened to huge circles. My head started to shake slowly. I backed up onto the door. I couldn’t believe my eyes. He had staples across his abdomen and stomach. There was a constant beep heard in the back round, like in the OR. He was asleep. His head was tilted backward and his mouth was wide open. His mouth was dry and he was moaning in his sleep from pain. It was so unnatural, so unaccustomed to.
I started to back up until I hit the door. I patted the flat surface for the doorknob. Everyone looked at me. “No, no, no” I said under my breath. I finally reached the doorknob and opened the door. I flew out of the room and slammed the door closed. I sat down on the cool floor and leaned against the closed door.
I don’t know what just happened. I should be happy right? I mean Frank lived through the surgery on the word probably. Why am I not happy? Why am I scared, sad, angry? “I don’t understand!”
Suddenly the door flung open and I fell backwards with it. I laid on the floor, looking up. Frank was standing over my head. He brought that machine with all the tubes with him. He could just reach me.
“Frank, come on you have to sit down.” Said Lindsey.
I stood up and linked my arm into his to help him to his bed. He laid back down.
“Guys, can we have some alone time?”
They all nodded and walked out of the room.
“Kristen what happened? I’m fine, I don’t understand.”
“Neither do I. I just couldn’t stand seeing you like that, with all those wires and tubes. It was hard to see you like that. I just, I just got scared.”
“Kristen, you never have to be scared.”
“Yes I do. I thought I was going to loose you and I almost did. I just, can’t do anything without you.”
“Yes you can.”
“Why?”
“Because, your beautiful and smart, and everything that you have accomplished you did. I only helped a little. You get all of the credit. And I know that you are capable of conquering anything you want.”
“But if I did loose you–“
“No. Cause you didn’t. I’m here aren’t I?”
I gave him a half smile.
“Well, what if I want to kiss you? Can I do that?”
“You tell me.” Those last words were nearly a whisper.
We kissed softly. I heard Frank moan from slight pain. I tried hard not to make him move so he wouldn’t hurt.
“When I get out of here, I promise that I’m going to take you on a date, a real date. We’ll be alone but together, and I promise it will be special.” Frank whispered into my ear as we broke apart.