‹ Prequel: The New World
Sequel: The New World 3
Status: Re-edited. Complete. Sequal up. :)

The New World 2

Ch.12

Last night was one of the worst nights for Sabrina. She lost a real father figure to her because of a damn walker. When she got back to the house that night she put Ana back to bed and sat by the fire across from Daryl. The only thing you could hear were the crickets and the fire crackling. Sabrina didn't get a wink of sleep. T-Dog, Rick and Shane buried Dale near Sophia and Hershel's family and they had a funeral service.

"Dale could get under your skin. He sure got under mine because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought, how he felt. That kind of honesty is rare and brave. Whenever I'd make a decision, I look at Dale, he'd be looking back at me with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another. I couldn't always read him, but he could read us. He saw people for who they were. He knew things about us-the truth, who we really are. In the end he was talking about losing our humanity. He said this group was broken. The best way to honor him is to unbreak it. Set aside our differences and pull together, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and take control of our lives, our safety...our future. We're not broken. We're gonna prove him wrong. From now on we're gonna do it his way. That is how we honor Dale." Rick preached.

Sabrina was wiping her eyes when she looked down at Ana who was shaking violently. She picked her up and Ana sobbed into her mother's shoulder. When the service was over Rick instructed Andrea, Daryl, T-Dog and Shane to do a thorough check on the fences and in the fields. When they were done they came back to see Rick talking to Hershel.

"Wha' are they talkin 'bout?"

"Us moving into the house because it's getting colder out." Sabrina answered to Daryl.

The two of them walked to Rick and Hershel. "Where's yer girl?"

"Sleeping in Rick and Lori's tent."

"Ya should get some sleep too. Ya look like shit."

"Thanks Daryl." She said sarcastically.

"It's gonna be tight, fourteen people in one house." Rick said to Hershel.

"Don't worry about that. With the swamp hardening the creek drying up..."

"With fifty head of cattle on the property, we might as well be ringing a damn dinner bell." Maggie finished.

"She's right. We should've moved you in a while ago."

"Alright, let's move the vehicles near each of the doors facing out towards the road. We'll build a lookout in the windmill, another in the barn loft. That should give us sight lines both sides of the property. T-Dog, you take the perimeter around the house. Keep track of everyone coming and going."

"What about standing guard?"

"I need you and Daryl on double duty."

"Gotcha." T-Dog said.

Sabrina started picking up crates and taking them to the house along with Carol. The two of them dropped the things off on the porch then went back to take down the tents. While the others loaded a truck and moved the truck to the house.

"Need some help?"

Sabrina stopped struggling with a tent and looked at Shane. "No. I'm good."

"You and Daryl's gotten close, I mean you are sleeping in his tent."

"Do you have a point Shane?" She asked messing with the tent again.

"I just want to make sure you're safe--"

She scoffed. "I'm perfectly fine Shane. You know, you should give Daryl some credit. He's changed a lot since he became a part of this group." She finally got the flexible rod out of the tent lining. "You on the other hand you've changed drastically and not in a good way."

"Rina, please--"

"Shane go away." She sighed out.

He stood there for a few more minutes then left.

Thank you.

After fifteen minutes she finally got the tent down and packed up.

"Took ya long enough."

Sabrina stood up and looked at Daryl. "Sorry that I'm not an outside person."

"Ya want me ta take tha' b'fore I start workin'?"

"Sure."

He picked the strap up and hauled it over his shoulder. The two of them walked to the house and he dropped it on the porch.

"There."

"Thanks Daryl."

Wha's wrong?" He asked running a hand down her right arm.

Sabrina had to hold back a shiver, it felt so good. "I'm fine, just tired."

"Well go get some sleep."

He bent down and kissed her lips quickly. When they pulled away they started blushing a little when they saw Ana there staring at them.

"Did you have a nice nap baby?" She asked smiling nervously.

"Yeah."

"I better get goin'."

Daryl took off while Ana and Sabrina took the stuff inside. Hershel instructed that there was an empty bedroom up the stairs and to the right for them. Sabrina thanked him and took their stuff up to the bedroom. The two of them finally got their things put into the room's closet then walked out of the house to see Rick and Daryl looking at a map.

"Where are you planning on dropping the kid off at?" She asked standing next to Daryl while looking at the map.

"We were thinking taking him out to Senoia-hour there, hour back, give or take. We may lose the light, but we'll be halfway home by then."

"This liddle pain in the ass will be a distant memory. Good riddance."

"Carol's putting together some provisions for him, enough to last a few days."

Sabrina looked up when she heard the Kia coming back. "Do you two want anything?"

"I'm good."

"No thanks Sabrina." Rick said.

"Alright."

Sabrina went back into the house and saw Ana standing on a chair helping Maggie cook. She turned her head slightly when she heard the door open and it revealed Daryl. He gave her a small nod before walking to the bathroom. She went on up to her room to make it a little more homey for her and Ana.

"This where yer crashin'?"

"Yeah." She said putting some clothes into a drawer.

"Somethin' go on b'tween ya an' Shane?"

"Nothing happened. He just wanted to make sure I was alright earlier." She said falling onto the bed.

"Get some sleep shorty." He said before leaving the room.

She closed her eyes and sighed loudly. She turned to her left side and fell asleep instantly. Sabrina jolted up out of her sleep breathing heavily. She got out of bed quickly to search for Ana.

"Ana. Baby, where are you?"

Ana never responded which made Sabrina even more scared.

It was just a dream. Shane and Carol wouldn't feed Ana to the walkers. Ok maybe Shane if he was that messed up-- wait Sabrina, you can't think like that!

Sabrina walked out of the house to see Daryl and T-Dog load up the blue truck. "Where's Ana?" She asked panicked.

"She's righ' there." Daryl pointed to one of the rocking chairs. "Are ya ok?"

"Yeah. Just had a nightmare." She said with a sigh of relief.

"Do ya know where my gun is?"

"I thought it was in the pouch on your bike." She said going down the steps.

"I though' so too."

"Ready?" Rick asked coming over to them.

"Yeah."

"I'll get the package." T-Dog said.

"Thanks."

"Mom?"

"Yes baby?" Sabrina asked turning around to see Ana coming down the porch stairs.

"Can I go lay on the swing? Daryl wouldn't let me go earlier because you were asleep."

T-Dog came running back to Rick, Daryl and Sabrina. "We've got a problem?"

"Wha' kind a problem?"

"He escaped."

"Shit." Daryl hissed out then looked at Sabrina. "The two of ya get inside an' don't come out until I say." He said to her before taking off.

Nodding Sabrina grabbed Ana's hand and they went into the house. "Sabrina, what's wrong?" Maggie asked.

"Randall, he escaped somehow. Patricia, can you watch Ana?"

"Sure sweetheart."

"Thank you. I'll be back ok?" She said kissing Ana's head then left with Maggie right behind her.

Sabrina finally made it to the group breathing heavy from running. "How did he escape?"

"It looks like he slipped through the cuffs." Rick said.

"But the doors were locked from the outside." Hershel said.

"Dammit woman. Didn't I tell ya ta stay until I came an' gotcha?"

"Daryl, you can't stop me from helping. I know you're trying to protect me and Ana but I want to help."

"Rick! Rick!"

"Is that Shane?" She asked.

"What happened?" Lori said.

"He's armed! He's got my gun."

"Are you ok? Carl asked.

"I'm fine. Little bastard just snuck up on me. He clocked me in the face."

"Alright, Hershel, T-Dog, get everybody back in the house. Glenn, Daryl, come with us."

"T, I'm gonna need that gun."

"Just let him go. That was the plan wasn't it?" Carol said.

"I wan' ya ta stay in the house this time. I mean it Sabrina." Daryl said lowly with warning.

Wait did he just call me by my actual name?

"Do ya 'ear me?"

"Yeah. I'm going. Be careful Daryl. Please." She said before running back to the house.

A few hours passed and there was still no sign of the guys. It was dark out and Sabrina sat on the bed braiding Ana's hair.

"You worried?" Ana asked.

"Maybe a little."

"Because of Daryl?"

"I'm worried about everything right now baby."

"Mom. Is Daryl going to be my daddy?"

That question caught her way off guard, her hands paused mid-braid.

"Do you want him to be your dad?"

"Well, he seems to care for us."

"But?"

"But Shane cared for us too. What happens if he turns out to be just like Shane?"

"Baby, he's not going to turn out to be like Shane. I promise."

"Then why is Shane so different?"

"I wish I knew." Sabrina said half lying.

"Well if Daryl doesn't turn out to be like Shane I wouldn't mind him being my daddy. And I know you like him too which is a bonus."

The two of them laughed and Sabrina started back on the braid. "Alright, you're hair's all done."

There was a slight knock on the door and the two of them looked over and saw Maggie.

"We made some pudding, do you want any?"

"Sure." She and Ana said at the same time.

They got off the bed and went down to the kitchen. Maggie made them a small bowl and Ana started eating it.

"It's really good."

Sabrina picked up a spoon and stopped scooping when she heard a distinct gunshot.

"Mom was that..."

"Yeah, but it probably nothing serious." She said reassuringly.

At least I hope it's nothing serious.